Ongoing mechtronic issue

weemanno1

Reaction score
To cut a huge story short..
i have a 2011 audi s5
I have recently had both the clutch changed and the repair kit on the mech unit..
The issues i had before was harsh changing thudding when selecting gears via the lever.. very jolty drivetrain and not holding gears and short shifting.
These have mostly been resolved but i have found since the repair the car now only harsh changes/thuds into 1st when it is hot rather that all the time from when its warm.... and i can almost garuantuee when it will do it.. when you are in 2nd gear for to long.. so my exact issue which i would be interested in knowing if anyone else has this issue.. so pulling away when hot..
1st-2nd-3rd...4th...... slow down to a stop... no bump or bang...
however.. 1st--2nd.. slow traffic.. as you come to a stop bangs back into 1st... also. pulling away 1st-2nd-3rd....7th... slowing traffic... 3rd...2nd. slowly coming to a stop so engages 2nd..comes to a stop bangs into 1st.
i dont suppose there is any 0b5 gearbox box buffs that can help me? think the 2nd gear solenoid is failing which i do not think was replaced with the repair kit... ? does anyone know more about the repair kit. or had in depth experiance of after the fact?.. i am really trying not to have ot go to milta to replace my gearbox as it gets out of hand, :)

Bit of an update if anyone is interested.. i have had the car back and sureley enough after 140 miles.. the dreaded banging has come back. but noticed this time also that there was a harsh /lazy change between 4th and3rd.. as long as 2nd to 1st... also when pulling away in 1st as it goes into 2nd this is also not smooth.
so fast forward a few weeks and its back in this time i have replaced the gearbox pressure sensor supplied by jp automatic transmissions.. (same as the solenoid in the mech unit repair kit!).. I found out after that anyone that has the mech unit repair kit it is vital that this £45 solenoid is replaced as 90% of the time with this fault and no fault codes.. this is the problem.. the mech unit was then refitted and adapted.. i am now 400+ miles in and its just getting better and better.. the vehicle has never driven so smooth.. :rockwoot:

:notworking: now into november.. and a completely unrelated incident ... i now have no gears!! :).. you couldn't write it!
i have encountered the dredded i do not know what gear i am in!..
have plugged in and both codes for p179e00 and p179f00 are present. the position sensor/module and harness has failed... i am now awaiting for it to go back to have this replaced. but its a gearbox out job again.. i swear this gearbox has been in and out so much it knows its own way out!!..
been quoted £1000 by Darkside developments in barnsly and £1500 by Milta in bristol so i will see again once its done.. i think i will have pretty much had a new box by then.. repaired mech unit, clutch, lever position sensor. flywheel. these really are a joy to own

Attachments

• 2nd cooling solenoid..jpg
    2nd cooling solenoid..jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo 26-10-2021, 20 44 54.jpg
    Photo 26-10-2021, 20 44 54.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Photo 26-10-2021, 20 45 22.jpg
    Photo 26-10-2021, 20 45 22.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo 26-10-2021, 20 45 55.jpg
    Photo 26-10-2021, 20 45 55.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Photo 26-10-2021, 20 46 19.jpg
    Photo 26-10-2021, 20 46 19.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 71
The unfortunate truth is that the original 0B5 gearbox had design flaws. Too late now but you might have been better of trying to find a used newer version to replace it with.

Reactions: weemanno1
i have had mixed reactions as originally i wanted ot put a new box from a fl s5 in but i could not find a definitive answer if it would work? :) its at the garage being sorted but i believe i have had every part from apart from the actual gears replaced to fingers crossed for smooth running from now :)