Only half privacy glass

Madmo

Reaction score
It was brought to my attention today that I only have the side rear windows tinted with privacy glass. The rear window is clear. I did wonder when I picked the car up but I just thought it varied in darkness across models.

So Ive phone the dealer I bought it from to complain as its on my order form and in the Audi computer systems as having privacy glass which I paid for. Im still waiting to hear back from them on a resolution.

Not happy is a understatement.

I will post back once I hear back from them.

What do you think would be appropriate compensation for this mistake?

Should be quite easy for them to change the rear window to a tinted version.

Wow a load of c0ck ups lately from some Audi Dealers in regards to orders.

All they will do is change the rear window to a tinted one to put things right. There won't be any "compensation".

To be fair it's not the dealers it's the factory, the dealer only places the spec on the order, they don't fit the glass!

Strange how the back is wrong though as each car is assigned a build sheet and everything on the car is matched and checked with that by computer and an actual sheet on the car that the guys building it can see/check, the glass supplier sills the glass in sequence before it gets to the factory, the guy fitting it then checks it before loading it and then it gets checked again by QA further down the line once it's been fitted. So it's not just a case of one person has missed it...a lot of people have.

I'm not doubting you in saying it's wrong, but take some pictures so we can see it, it seems strange that everyone including the Audi dealer has missed it! (I work in a car factory and can't understand how it's been missed, as there are multiple checks in place along the line to avoid this situation).

Reactions: phil1824
Should the level of tint be the same as the sides anyway? That seems unlikely, given that it's a safety feature that you should be able to see through the rear window unobstructed. Maybe it is the privacy glass but the tint is very light?

Should the level of tint be the same as the sides anyway? That seems unlikely, given that it's a safety feature that you should be able to see through the rear window unobstructed. Maybe it is the privacy glass but the tint is very light?

Not sure it's something they actually need to account for though, e.g. you don't need a rear window in a van...

By reference my old Mondeo had factory fit privacy glass and the rear window was noticeably darker than the rear side windows (which were themselves pretty dark).

The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on when the vehicle was first used.

There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows. (UK)

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later
The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985
The front windscreen and front side windows must both let at least 70% of light through.

https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules

The way i see it option VW1 says Dark rear tinted and side windows from B pillar backwards. Thats what i have paid for and the rear window isnt dark tinted so i want it fixed End of.
I will upload pics just now

Side privacy glass

side privacy glass which you can clearly see has been fitted.
Rear privacy glass

Rear privacy glass which you can see has clearly been missed.

Hopefully it will be easy enough for them to just replace the rear screen!. and maybe a wee goody bag to you for inconvenience caused.. lol

Reactions: Madmo
Missed at quality control at factory control. Or smashed in transit and replaced with wrong window at dealers.

****** incompetent!

Have Audi been reading the CV's of their new employees? I know it's no Roll Royce but for the price we pay and the name they have for themselves, these mistakes should not be happening. God help them if they get any thing wrong with my order!

Received their latest magazine in the post today, this is obviously where the budget is going and not on their quality control!

Rant over.

Reactions: elpaulio
It's more likely smashed during transit than factory mistake I reckon.
If factory mistake seems like someone else may end up with a rear privacy glass lol

****** incompetent!

Have Audi been reading the CV's of their new employees? I know it's no Roll Royce but for the price we pay and the name they have for themselves, these mistakes should not be happening. God help them if they get any thing wrong with my order!

Received their latest magazine in the post today, this is obviously where the budget is going and not on their quality control!

Rant over.

That was exactly the argument I used against my dealer, 40k it should be ABSOLUTELY perfect. Hence why they are trying again with my order.

Really? Honestly?

An Audi A3, which is a mass market car? Perfect?

You're not buying an exclusive bespoke car ;)

Yes and Yes. Why shouldn't you expect it to be right? Mass market they should've ironed out all the problems.

Hmmm I'm not convinced it has been missed you know! Not wanting to P you off but-

This is one I have found without privacy glass, yours looks darker to me!

HighResImage.aspx

rear-privacy-glass-jpg.54529

Hmmm I'm not convinced it has been missed you know! Not wanting to P you off but-

This is one I have found without privacy glass, yours looks darker to me!

HighResImage.aspx

rear-privacy-glass-jpg.54529

Trust me mines is as clear as the front windscreen mate. This pic doesnt really show it properly with the reflection of the clouds in it.

That was exactly the argument I used against my dealer, 40k it should be ABSOLUTELY perfect. Hence why they are trying again with my order.

Yes and Yes. Why shouldn't you expect it to be right? Mass market they should've ironed out all the problems.

It was the righteous indignation that because you paid £40k, you expected perfection.

It's a mass market A3, not a bespoke Bentley. You're not going to get "perfection". You should, however, have the expectation that the order will be correct, but not "perfection"..........

Witness the orange peel, the turbo rattle, the door rattle etc. etc.

I reckon broken between factory and collection and not replaced as it should have been.

So are scratches deemed acceptable and I don't mean cleaning swirls.

I agree with you Andyescos whether you buy a Ford, Audi, Lada or bentley your paying good hard earned money for their product and you want that product to be right at the very least

Trust me mines is as clear as the front windscreen mate. This pic doesnt really show it properly with the reflection of the clouds in it.
In that case when they replace it check all the edges around the glass inside and out, depending on who does it they will either used a blade or braided cheese wire. If it's cheese wire it scratches/cuts trim like a hot knife through butter. I have done it myself when I've had to replace a screen that has cracked before it has even left the factory, also check for black sealant on the inside trims, as once it's on and dry nothing will get it off.

Good luck ;)

I bought a 30k car which had been damaged in transit and repaired . They then tried to blame me for it when I complained ! Luckily there was a record of the repair before I picked it up ... Didn't get any combo though :(

Were they upfront about the repair or did you spot it? what was the damage?

In that case when they replace it check all the edges around the glass inside and out, depending on who does it they will either used a blade or braided cheese wire. If it's cheese wire it scratches/cuts trim like a hot knife through butter. I have done it myself when I've had to replace a screen that has cracked before it has even left the factory, also check for black sealant on the inside trims, as once it's on and dry nothing will get it off.

Good luck ;)

Cheers for that mate I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb dont you worry about that.

I would expect them to come and collect the car, fix the problem and then bring it back the next day. If you need a car then for that day they should give you an equivalent loan car.

For the feelgood factor, I would also expect a few little gifts by way of an apology such as a keyfob, Audi mug etc.

Before handing the car over to them, go over it with a fine toothcomb to make sure there aren't any other problems, especially around the rear of the car on the inside and outside.

Lastly, make sure they don't 'fix' the problem with an after-market tint.

I would expect them to come and collect the car, fix the problem and then bring it back the next day. If you need a car then for that day they should give you an equivalent loan car.

For the feelgood factor, I would also expect a few little gifts by way of an apology such as a keyfob, Audi mug etc.

Before handing the car over to them, go over it with a fine toothcomb to make sure there aren't any other problems, especially around the rear of the car on the inside and outside.

Lastly, make sure they don't 'fix' the problem with an after-market tint.

Yeah leo thats what I thought they would do is fix it with a aftermarket tint. I will be checking this hasnt been done

Were they upfront about the repair or did you spot it? what was the damage?

It was a vectra Vxr , front bumper paint didn't match , i went back to vx with it and they sent an engineer up to the dealer to look at it , he said that there was overspray on the wing and that I had obviously had the bumper repaired . A lot of arguing ensued , and to be fair the supplying dealership did some checking and discovered it had been repaired and the fog light replaced by Vauxhall before it arrived with them , and supplied me with all the info . They agreed to have the front bumper re sprayed , but for me it never felt right , and with all the cash I spent on it I felt very disappointed .

You pay new car prices , you expect a new car , not one with replacement parts Bently or skoda !

So are scratches deemed acceptable and I don't mean cleaning swirls.

Did I say they were? ;)

You've ordered off the McDonalds Extra Value Meal, menu, not ala carte from a 3* Michelin restaurant. :)

The meal from McDonalds will be delivered as is, within "acceptable limits". Not "perfection".

Audi A3 cars are delivered with creased bolsters, that are within "acceptable limits". Not perfection.

The OP is entitled to the privacy glass he ordered :)

Will it be flawless or perfect? No. Just within "acceptable limits".

If the McDonlds is ****** to Their standards then, surely it ****** perfectly:puke:. :jester:

Rear of the B pillars the glass could be so dark that you can't see through at all - same rules V8 posted in #10 also apply to after market tints.

My S/B has privacy glass and you can barely see into it under normal light conditions :-

EochkCiw

Hope you get it sorted but make sure you get an Audi branded replacement glass and not one made for the replacement market otherwise the trademark will likely be different. Had a new screen on my Leon and all original glass had SEAT on the trademark but the new screen was Pilkington and had a completely different logo/emblem. Prob more difficult to see on privacy glass but thought I'd mention it.

Struth! There's an old saying in life......."**** happens"
Surely if they put the job right by replacing with tinted glass then all is well with the world and you can carry on with life.

No need for compo or making a fuss.

Front bumpers on most car don't match
It was a vectra Vxr , front bumper paint didn't match , i went back to vx with it and they sent an engineer up to the dealer to look at it , he said that there was overspray on the wing and that I had obviously had the bumper repaired . A lot of arguing ensued , and to be fair the supplying dealership did some checking and discovered it had been repaired and the fog light replaced by Vauxhall before it arrived with them , and supplied me with all the info . They agreed to have the front bumper re sprayed , but for me it never felt right , and with all the cash I spent on it I felt very disappointed .

You pay new car prices , you expect a new car , not one with replacement parts Bently or skoda !
Bumpers will never match! paint takes to the plastic differently, the bumpers are also painted in another factory so they would never be the same anyway. I see it every day on new cars coming off the line (Vauxhalls), some show out more than others, but if you look you can see the difference. I made a post a few weeks back on here with some pictures pointing it out.

I still think that the privacy glass makes the cars look decidedly odd. With clear front and front side windows looks like a magpie.