Opinions on price

rodenal

Reaction score
I'm going to stick my A3 in the autotrader sometime in the next couple of weeks - here's the Audi Sport Ad:

http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/1177/cat/20

For those who cant be bothered clicking - 1997 A3 1.6 Sport, 118k miles, mot'd till october, taxed till end of april. Infamous rust on the bottom of the doors and a few marks on the bumper(needs painting really).

I'm looking for £1500 for the car - i'd appreciate your opinions on the price as i dont wanna waste my money on an autotrader ad to get no phonecalls.

If you think i've missed anything from the general description i've put in the ad please let me know - I'm also considering ebaying it.

The pictures will be updated btw, i know those ones are not very good.

Oh and the thermostat needs replaced, but given that it's a cheap part i dont see any reason why i should drop the price for this. I will stick the info in the ad tho.

Oh yeah it has a private plate which im now just gonna leave on it - techincally 'valued' at £600 - i realise this is totally unrealistic but it does at least hide the real reg for those that are bothered.

Stick it on Pistonheads for good free exposure, and the personal plate doesn't really add any value to the car, unless it meant something to the owner...

I know i didn't think the plate would add any value to the car, it certainly wouldnt for me - but at least hides its true age a bit.

Had forgotten about PH, good idea

I think thats cheap, you could get more for it than that. I got (had) a 1998 1.6 SE A3 which just got wrote off as someone went into the back of me. I got paid out £3160 for it! More than i was expecting, and mine was the version with the climate control and suede seats etc, but i think you could put yours up a bit!

It's not that cheap to be honest - if i were to put the car into auction i'd be lucky to get £1200 for it, and then i'd have to take off their fees etc.Remember also that the car isn't immaculate - it's very sound mechanically and still looks good but the bumper is marked and the bottom of the doors are showing rust.I'll also make it clear that there is no haggling on that price, lol

I reckon you should sell it for £2k. I sold my 1999 A3 1.6 with 95k on it for £2700. Mechanically sound and in working order. It didn't have rust but it did have a hell of alot of stone chips on it. A few extras, including a decent stereo.

If i were to put the car into auction i'd be lucky to get £1200 for it

Dont forget that at an auction most of the buyers are traders who are selling the car on for a profit, selling to a private buyer you can sell for more. Up to you, but i think if you put it up to even £2000 you would get people take it all day.

Decided just to stick it on ebay, doing well so far £870 after about 2 days on there - i reckon the serious bidders prob dont start bothering until a day before it finishes tho