Opinions on the condition of these brakes

Marky79

Reaction score
I recently got back into RS ownership and found the right Spec of car. Being over 250 mile away I conversed with the salesman over phone and made my feelings clear that the car must be immaculate as viewing wasnt an option, and would require delivering. True to his word the car arrived and is in lovely condition.

my only gripe? the rear brakes. I personally feel they require a new set. The disks have some quite big ridges, there’s a chunk missing off the edge of one, and the pads are breaking up. They’re also heavily glazed.
Honest opinions please. pics below.

I would say they definitely need replacing looking at those but can be hard to judge accurately from pictures sometimes

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ninjag and Marky79
I would say they definitely need replacing looking at those but can be hard to judge accurately from pictures sometimes

its an Audi main dealer car. The excuse I got was ”they passed a brake force test”. maybe

yeah I agree, unless you can see them in real life it can be difficul, but yeah, they’re pretty knackered tbh. I think it’s obvious when you see them up close. Cars going into another main dealer locally to have them closely inspected. If they say they’re fine I think I’ll be that person that takes it up with audi UK.

I've binned better looking ones to be honest, they do look a bit rough but if they were within wear specs and passed the brake test then the dealer will hide behind the wear and tear / efficiency test specs over visual .
pads look a bit under 50% worn as well .
depends on deep the scoring is really.

Reactions: Marky79
They look very much to me what i'd expect from a car that hasn't been used much , been stood more than driven over a period of time, an MOT history check would showup milage annually covered.

I've binned better looking ones to be honest, they do look a bit rough but if they were within wear specs and passed the brake test then the dealer will hide behind the wear and tear / efficiency test specs over visual .
pads look a bit under 50% worn as well .
depends on deep the scoring is really.
cheers guys, the thumbnails will open a higher quality version, I should’ve made that clear(using mobile here).

Thanks for your input. The last 2 MOT’s have mentioned the rear brakes being in poor condition and both have an advisory placed against them. wonder if this could be ammunition for an argument?

The 'missing' chunk is part of the manufacturing process. Nothing to worry about. Doesnt appear to be any pronounced lip on the disc but would replace the pads with new ones. Accurate way would be to measure the disc thickness and compare to new and worn specs. Just looks like its been sat around for a while and with the rainy weather they will rust quite quickly.

Reactions: Marky79 and Charlie Farley
The 'missing' chunk is part of the manufacturing process. Nothing to worry about. Doesnt appear to be any pronounced lip on the disc but would replace the pads with new ones. Accurate way would be to measure the disc thickness and compare to new and worn specs. Just looks like its been sat around for a while and with the rainy weather they will rust quite quickly.
It’s more the surface of the disk I’m bothered about tbh. They’re heavily glazed and pitted. Wouldn’t fancy doing big speed in them.

Those pads look pretty worn out to me, certainly not much life left in them The disks also look to be ridged, if you run your fingernail along it is it smooth or bumpy?

***Edit - just read the whole text of your post - yeah those rears need replacing.

Looks like new pads are needed. Discs should be fine, worst case they could be skimmed.

I wouldn't bother trying to skim those discs, they don't look great to begin with. I'd replace the whole lot. Next to tyres, brakes are the most important tool on a car, why take chances?

Just checked the MOT history, both have an advisory on them. I really do feel they should of changed them, brake test pass or not.

For what it costs for Brembo coated discs and a set of pads I’d have had those changed by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But why should he pay the cost whether they are low cost or not?
There are clearly issues with them prior to taking ownership of the car.

But why should he pay the cost whether they are low cost or not?
There are clearly issues with them prior to taking ownership of the car.
I understand both sides of the arguement. Unfortunately, as it passed MOT with only advisories, the OP won't have a caliper to stand on regarding any kind of claim against the dealer as he's accepted delivery of the vehicle. The arguement will be that he had the opportunity to refuse to accept the delivery and he didn't. Unfortunate but legally the dealer is in the clear.

No, I have to disagree chap.
I had numerous issues with my b7 after purchasing it from west London audi , tyres were cracked due to age but were alleged to have been ok under the mot 2 days before, plus numerous other issues that should not have passed an Audi approved used car check, but did.
They had to rectify the problem at their cost even though id already taken delivery of the car.

Agreed but the condition of the discs would suggest it was an issue long standing even without an advisory.
I suppose a lot depends on whether the dealer wishes to hide behind the min thickness data for the discs , pads are a high wear item but discs would last longer, but together it suggests both should be replaced as pads will most likely be a bin job after being in contact with those pitted /rusted discs for any period of time.

Having re-read the posts, I'm now erring on Rob's side of the fence. How many miles has the car covered between these MOTs that placed advisories on rear brakes? It does look like the car has spent a lot of time parked up, maybe understandably given last year's lockdowns. I'm wondering if the dealer has had it on their hands for a while?

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Exactly chap, and what were the fronts like .
That sort of corrosion is 99.9% caused by non movement of the discs , by the time it is used the corrosion pitting is already advanced enough to be well into the surface material .

Reactions: Garrett 69
Cheers guys. Front are meaty, but still on wavy discs, so suggests their either original or have been changed before the wavy ones were phased out.
out of interest, what’s the price of a set of Brembo rears and pads?
the cars going in tomorrow morning to another main dealer for inspection, keep you all posted.

Quick update. Once again, thanks all for your input.

The car has been inspected independently by my local Audi dealer. Disks and pads are in horrendous condition. They should not have sold the car with those brakes on the vehicle. My local dealer has contacted the original dealer and voiced serious concerns. Disks, pads and rear dust shields changed no quibble.

Reactions: Charlie Farley, K96, Garrett 69 and 2 others
A good and correct result. Original dealer response was unacceptable imho and I’d be contacting Audi hq about it.

A good and correct result. Original dealer response was unacceptable imho and I’d be contacting Audi hq about it.
I absolutely will be contacting Audi HQ. I’ve hardly drove it as I was so concerned. They really do look worse when you see them up close. The backsides were in atrocious condition. I think I’ll lodge a complaint with the finance company too, paying for a car which isn’t road worthy isn’t on.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Nothing to do with the finance company really. They just supply the money.

Glad you got it sorted out, it was the only result you should have expected to be honest, well they should not have supplied you the car with discs like it to start full stop but garages try all sorts, even audi dealers.
Been there so know all about it.

happy days now though. :yes:

Nothing to do with the finance company really. They just supply the money.
Not necessarily. If you’re paying for a vehicle that has been unroadworthy since delivery, you can complaint to the finance company and have your monthly pay refunded.