Ordering an S3

DommyR

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm new to forum. I've owned a 60 reg 1.6 technik a3 since January but now I've got the audi bug I need an S3.

I've had the quotes from my local dealership which are good. I just need help with a few of the details. Here are the specs Im Going for;

S3 manual
3 dr
Sepang blue
Black styling package
SD card based sat nav.
(Possibly privacy glass)

Is there any other option that would be necessary/useful in the ownership/resale of the car?

The dealer offered autoglym lifeshine protection, I take good care of my cars, always keeping a layer of wax on them. So is this really necessary?

Also they offered a mobile scuff removal paint shop thing like chipsaway (I forget the brand name) this added something like 8 quid a month, so is it worth having?

I'm looking to place the order and put down my initial deposit next week so exiting times!!

Thanks for your help.
Dom

Don't take any of the dealer products - autoglym, chips, alloy protection and especially Gap insurance. You can get better elsewhere for far less outlay - this is where they make a huge chunk of commission and the workman ship and products are never worth what they want.
Next, Black pack? On a Sepang I would say waste of £400, it looks far better with the chrome, but, hey we are all different. I didn't go for the privacy glass and again, don't miss it and saved £390. Now with those savings you could get the B&O package which is well worth the money and adds resale. Plus the Tech packs are also sought after and at the same time well worth the outlay in my opinion. Things like parking aids. lane depart, ACC and so on are for people who can't drive and are probably get on in age ;)

Good luck! #TeamSepang!

Reactions: DommyR
Comfort Pack is worth the money in my opinion!:)

Reactions: Martinbanshee, j0nny2013, Dtwm1 and 1 other person
I'm ancient but if you do any regular motorway/dual carriageway driving then ACC is great. Hold Assist is a cheap option that also works well once you get used to it.

The longer you intend to run the car for adding extra options make a bit more sense, and it gets expensive adding them afterwards. I'd say ignore resale and concentrate on getting a good deal out of the dealer and speccing the car how you want it.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and DommyR
I've gone for a black S3, as soon as I mentioned the black pack the sales guy said "No, too much on a dark car". I didn't go for the dark windows for the same reason, if I had bought white car I would have!

3 door S3 in black with comfort pack, parking system plus and folding electric mirrors, to give you an idea I got that for £28645 which I'm happy with as a mate bought a VXR Astra with a few options and paid just over £30k lmao....and no he's not happy :)

Just checking the spec out I didn't realise the comfort pack included cruise control and rear parking system so i'll definitely have that.

I just really like the black package as I'm not a fan of chrome or the grey grill you get with the S3.

If you want the front sensors as well you get them for £250 as you have the CP.

Acoustic and visual parking aid for the front and rear which displays white distance markers for obstacles that would not be touched and red symbols for obstacles that would be touched. This provides the driver with a selective optical view in the MMI display of all the objects recognised, depending on the current curve radius and direction of travel. Measurement is by ultrasonic sensors discreetly integrated in the bumpers

I just thought for the sake of£250 it's worth it, if it saves you from a scratch once it's paid for itself! Plus it looks cool on the dash lol.

I'd look at ACC ( but better with S-Tronic ), B and O, Tech Pack with connect.

Resale is arguable per option but any sort of Nav will be sort after especially tech pack.

To be fair though, just forget resale and get the car and sped you want and can afford.

I have the standard audi sound system and it's pants, it doesn't compare to the ones in a ford for example. I'd highly recommend either the optional audi sound system or b+o. The sound system is the biggest thing that let's down my car, every time a good song comes up, I try and turn it up but just die a little inside.

My current technik A3 has the bose sound system and I like my music so I guess a sound system upgrade might be a worthwhile venture.

Regarding the gap insurance, I'm probably going to go with the dealer one as it's not bad money.

I'm guessing autoglym lifeshine isn't? Can I just get a protector and apply it myself or is it best to take it to a detailer?

Thanks everyone.

My current technik A3 has the bose sound system and I like my music so I guess a sound system upgrade might be a worthwhile venture.

Regarding the gap insurance, I'm probably going to go with the dealer one as it's not bad money.

I'm guessing autoglym lifeshine isn't? Can I just get a protector and apply it myself or is it best to take it to a detailer?

Thanks everyone.

Its still worth shopping around for GAP, the one I was offered only return to the invoice price but the I have returns to the price of a new car so I'm safe if 2 years down the line if mine gets written off and the price has increased by 10% for example.

You can buy the life shine products on ebay cheaply, there not bad then applied correctly which 9/10 they won't at dealer. Also there are better products on the market that work out cheaper than the dealer going it, it just depends if you want to do it yourself or like you said better still get it to a detailer.

Thanks everyone.

What have you been quoted for GAP? ALA for me for 4 years was £240inc VAT. less for less years coverage and that is back to invoice plus.
Autoglym is expensive and you will get better service and protection from a professional detailer at a better price. Don't let the dealer touch the car is usually good advice.

Definitely rear parking sensors, dipping side mirrors, cruise even if it's ordinary cruise. Some of these are available in the Comfort Pack

Oh and change the colour, Misano or Glacier.

I've ordered a Sepang Blue S3 5dr S-tronic and I thought the black pack wouldn't be worth the spend as it would darken an already dark ish car, plus I like the chrome anyway and what with privacy glass....

Comfort pack - cruise, parking sensors (makes adding parking plus alot cheaper if your interested! and cheaper for ACC if I remember? ) sun band windows automatic wipers and lights.

Tech pack - the standard SD nav is for you if you like the small low resolution screen looks like the old RNSE from the previous model quality wise - the bigger screen is alot nicer and years from now; just look at the way ipad's, tv's etc etc are going bigger and better resolutions, the tech pack allows you to play dvd's too!

Definitely rear parking sensors, dipping side mirrors, cruise even if it's ordinary cruise. Some of these are available in the Comfort Pack

Oh and change the colour, Misano or Glacier.

Thanks man.

Can i ask why change the colour?

You're going to get so many different answers here as this is a very personal thing and the great thing about ordering a new car.

You need to set your budget, if there is one and write a list of must haves and want to haves and then prioritise. I've spec' mine pretty highly, as I am changing from a Lexus, so things like Tech Pack and Reversing Camera was something I'm used to and do not want to lose etc.

Good luck. Enjoy the fun. It's a great feeling knowing a car is on the production line being built to your instructions!

I think sepang blue is a great colour

Too many white cars on the road and in this weather they are looking more brown than white :)

Just my opinion :nogarors4:

Hi & :welcome!: to ASN buddy :thumbs up:

Go with what options suits your needs & don't worry to much about resale IMHO

The only thing I would suggest is DO NOT take anything from the Dealer. Get your GAP separate from Audi & the Lifeshine etc gear supplied by them is never applied properly. If your worried about your paintwork, get the car done by a Pro-Detailer :thumbs up:

I have the standard audi sound system and it's pants, it doesn't compare to the ones in a ford for example. I'd highly recommend either the optional audi sound system or b+o. The sound system is the biggest thing that let's down my car, every time a good song comes up, I try and turn it up but just die a little inside.

Damn dude is it really that bad? I have the bose is my technik and its really nice so I better upgrade to the audi sound system.

Hi & :welcome!: to ASN buddy :thumbs up:

Go with what options suits your needs & don't worry to much about resale IMHO

The only thing I would suggest is DO NOT take anything from the Dealer. Get your GAP separate from Audi & the Lifeshine etc gear supplied by them is never applied properly. If your worried about your paintwork, get the car done by a Pro-Detailer :thumbs up:

Thanks man.

Ive been quoted 400quid for the gap by the dealer and its included on the finance so not a lump payment. Is it the price or the product that is the problem?

What I'm trying to gauge is if new paint needs a hard protection layer like gardx or lifeshine or if keeping a layer (or 3) of decent quality wax is enough? (collinite) I don't think my solid black A3 ever had a surface protection applied and it still looks great (60 reg).

Thanks
Dom

Ive been quoted 400quid for the gap by the dealer and its included on the finance so not a lump payment. Is it the price or the product that is the problem?

What I'm trying to gauge is if new paint needs a hard protection layer like gardx or lifeshine or if keeping a layer (or 3) of decent quality wax is enough? (collinite) I don't think my solid black A3 ever had a surface protection applied and it still looks great (60 reg).

Thanks
Dom

Check out this section on ASN for further quotes/info on GAP

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/forums/insurance-sponsored-by-sky-insurance.75/

Dont forget to get a GAP quote thro' ALA as well. Google a discount code for ALA as there is always some about mate

Paint protection? Check your thread in the Detailing section Dom ;)

Damn dude is it really that bad? I have the bose is my technik and its really nice so I better upgrade to the audi sound system.

Yes, it's pretty bad. I dont mind the quality at low volume but it doesn't match the overall standard of the car and you just can't turn it up as there's a limiter.

When you're next in the stealers try it and you'll be shocked.

The standard stereo is that bad. I mostly listen to the radio so didn't think I needed to upgrade, I was wrong. I'm now looking for after market upgrades, but don't end up in my position, tick one of the upgrade boxes.

Thanks man.

Can i ask why change the colour?

You would need to track down all "Steeve" post and you will understand why he wants you to change the colour.

But essentially, Steeve has a Sepang blue S3, so since Sepang Blue became a stankard colour, more and more are going with Sepang.

I would think twice about the black pack, I thinnk that leaving it chrome compliments the wing mirrors, thus leaving £400 to be saved or used elsewhere. Just my opinion.

You would need to track down all "Steeve" post and you will understand why he wants you to change the colour.

But essentially, Steeve has a Sepang blue S3, so since Sepang Blue became a stankard colour, more and more are going with Sepang.

Oh no! Sepang is an awful colour, it gets dirty and is likely to show up swirls really badly. Doesn't suit the S3 at all. I cant imagine why any one would be so blinkered as to want it.........its so common it's like black Ford Model T's and how many of those do you see?

From the spec it looks like you're trying to not overspend which is so damn easy. Audi marketing do a good job of separating us from our hard earned money.

I've had 8V cars with both Tech Pack and now without, for my use I do not miss it one iota, and having elderly ('ish) audio receiving equipment I find the radio just fine. For me it's all about the driving and that part I also find very satisfying.

So it's all about need rather than want and personal choices. If you can afford and want all the bells and whistles then go for it. But it's not all necessary. Check stuff out at the dealers, it doesn't have to be on an 8V vehicle.

But actually Sepang is quite stunning and looks superb when it's clean. But we don't want too many do we?
:jump:

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.

I would think twice about the black pack, I thinnk that leaving it chrome compliments the wing mirrors, thus leaving £400 to be saved or used elsewhere. Just my opinion.

I really like the black styling pack, for one I really like how it works with the sepang blue and second, I loathe chrome. lol.