Our new A3 in white s line chrome or black grill

ducks1978

Reaction score
We have just purchased an A3 s line 170 tdi. It has everything with - LED's / Xenons / Bose / POWer too.

We have the chrome styling pack on it and a few people have said that I should get the black grill for it as it sets it off. Anyone done that and can you recommend the bet place to get one from also?

The fog light covers are chrome also, but think might leave them as they ae not as intrusive.

Might look at upgrading to rns-e next year as I think it will add a little value to the pack. Loving the Bose sound quality, my dad has the a8 and it has Bose but does not sound as good as mine.

Dont think I will bother with a remap as the power seems too be great and dont want to add more to chew up the front tyres.

This forum is great and well done to the guys as the info is brilliant :yes:

best bet for your black grill is to keep your mincers pealed to ebay, otherwise youre looking at near 300 for the grill from your stealers and thats withuot fitting

tisk tisk should be watching my build thread
DSCF0108.jpg

that's the one, just noticed under the bumper there is a strip which is iin gray. Does that need chnging or leave that stock? are the grills hard to change? Also mine is a 58 plate with the facelift so would that be an 8p?. I will post a picture in a bit.

That grill looks like the one, need s line on mine

you mean yours is the my09 style of the 8p chassis (the one with the indicators in the mirrors and fancy headlights) all the grills across the facelift are the same across the range now, only the s3 grill features the badging (which you can remove and fit an sline badge to it)

Im going to buy a black Fk grill for my 07 a3 does the bumper have to be removed to fit the grill?

yes, all single grills require the bumper off to do it properly, im sure someone has done it without possibly borken bits etc without knowing it

that's the one, just noticed under the bumper there is a strip which is iin gray. Does that need chnging or leave that stock? are the grills hard to change? Also mine is a 58 plate with the facelift so would that be an 8p?. I will post a picture in a bit.

That grill looks like the one, need s line on mine
mine has a gray strip fitted as OE.

I'm liking it, alot!! need to convince the Girlfriend that it is worth doing lol

The bumper coming off is not a major issue but I think I will have to get a garage to do it

I think Im gonna just worried about changing it as the bumper needs to come off. Once I have overcome the fear and find the lad that I need to change it, I will bite the bullet lol. It looks so good with the black grill

Bite the bullet! Fairly simple job, I'm doing mine next week! So if I can do it.......... will look great when done! Good luck!

Do you know the model number if possible of what Im looking for cos that will help or looks like a visit to my salvage yard looking for one lol

looked everywhere and still looking for this grill. went on FK website to see if they do it and they have 8p but dont know if they have one for >2008 doing ma head in a little but will get there in the end. Anyone done one of these and have the ref no?

Had a look at an A3 with the black grill today as my dad had the cabrio from the garage as his was in for wheel repairs. I had a good look at the brill but just was not sure of it. The chrome does not bother me as much as the grey grill. I will be looking for a black grill with the chrome surround as the chrome compliments the roof rails and fog light covers. Just a nightmare, turned into a women shopping who cant make up her mind lol

I would consider it cos if I didnt like it I could change it, just trying to find one is the problem as there is nowhere that does them, apart from the stealers. On Ebay they all seem to be pre 2008 models and even checked fk website and they dont seem to do them. Nightmare as I thought it was a simple thing but not yet

100% black grill on white , not a fan of the silver surround on any light coloured car.
Leave the fog surrounds though , IMO the black ones on the black styling pack look a bit cheap.

If it was me then i would of gone for black roof rails on a white sportback as well..

Silver pack ( rails grill etc ) is reserved for dark colours to give the contrast.

Black pack on white / silver looks miles better, as i have always believed that the rails make the sportback , and silver rails on a white car just get lost. IMHO

And while i am at it , you got to change them wheels , sorry dude just not a fan.

Last edited:
Cheers for that, I seen the double spoke ones which I do like but this one had these S line alloys on. Not too bothered about the wheels as changing them is expensive and until the tyres wear out might consider but not high on my list as for me alloys are alloys. The silver roof rails, dunno how hard they would be to change. Just struggling to find the black grill, I think Stoke Audi have the black grill so might give them a ring. Tried my own dealer and they were not that useful but Im there on Friday so might ask em what the crack is. I aint a massive car modifier and think the car looks cool and thats why I bought it and have had some good comments from peeps on the streets saying it looks quality. The A3 cab had a black grill didnt look that wow but might look better on my car with the S line gear on it, just need to find one.

Why not get all your chrome/silver stuff vinyl'd black??? They could do your grill without removing the bumper!

Thats a good option found a place close that does it, emailed them a picture to get a price, might look at getting the roof done black also. Let you know what they come back with, Cheers Scott