Out with the old...

SmoothAssault

Will design for mods
Reaction score
Website
www.matteasom.com
...in with the new B6 A4 Quattro :rockwoot:

Hi guys, I'm Matt I've been knocking around Audi-Sport for a while now in the B5 forum but on Saturday I paid my deposit on this beauty...

AudiA4_LG.jpg

I say good bye to my B5 and drive the B6 away this weekend and I can't WAIT!

:yahoo:

I have a few mods planned so I was hoping to get some advice from you guys before I blow any more cash.

Wheels will be first. I had 18" RS6 wheels on the B5 which looked great but I think I want to go for 19's this time 'round. I've been considering a few different wheels, either RS6's again or maybe something non-oem like these lovelies...

I love Rocco's wheels (I even like all the little bright pink touches)...

Rockos.jpg

I've also been a fan of J7USS' motor for a while now and I'm equally impressed with his wheels...

J7USS.jpg

So you may be sensing a theme; I'm pretty fond of the 5 spokes, polished/brushed face with everything else covered in lovely shiny back. But does anyone else have some other ideas? Unless I can get some sort of short term finance deal my budget will be £1000 for all four inc. tyres.

The wheels that are coming with the car are newly refurbished genuine audi and I will be selling those if anyone is interested. Depending on how quick I can sell them my new wheel budget may go up a few hundred quid.

What do you think?

Also, this will be my first car to have a turbo, or even really any power at all, haha. So any tips for young whipper-snapper like me (I'm only 22) on keeping it running smoothly? I've heard I need to go easy on revs till she's nice and warm, but I really have no idea.

Cheers guys.

:kissmyrings:

Good choice I must say!!
With your budget you got then Im sure you will find a wide range of alloy in what you want.
I love Rocko's wheels but didnt want to clone his,ha plus the original were expensive. Seen a few close reps about and alot cheaper but not quite the quality (as you'd expect).
Mine would look alot better in Brushed effect but still happy with them.
Seen a few Golfs and A3 with same as mine hence why I was going to have a change...
There a quite some debate about 18s vs 19s but I can honestly say my ride quality really isnt bad at all, infact its alot smoother than I thought it would be and the handling seems spot on to me.
IMO 19s look better, they fill up the arches well seeing more alloy than Tyre due to the Profile.

With a turbo'd car yeah you have to pay more attention whilst warming up, dont thrash it from cold else you'll know about it. I always allow mine to warm up to mid engine temp (not just by the gauge but a good 10-15mins of steady driving till I let my turbo kick in harder,which I find having my boost guage handy)!!!
I dont let mine warm down or idle for long before turning her off, I pull up and its a good 15 second before I swith it off anyway.
Maybe with a Scoooby or same league as that then yes a turbo timer comes in handy.

Theres alot you can do to the 1.8t but lets take 1 step at a time and source some nice wheels for your ride!!

Welcome to the B6 slot!!!:arco:

...what spec is your new A4 by the way???

is it not a possibilty to put the 18" rs6 onto the b6 and the 17" five stars on the b5 the day you exchange, that would keep you happy for a while and look great.

i find myself here again but warning, start chatting with j7uss and youll be remortgaging LOL !!! before you know it youll have 300bhp, stop on a penny and running 20" rims. lol

totally agree,defo needs alloys.
i have 18" rs6 and there fine, but im also considering 19", heard good and bad.
are you lowering her?

welcome mate, lovely car!

Thanks for the responses guys.

J7USS: Yea, I don't have any issues with going up to 19's, I do less than 8000 miles a year due to only living 5 minutes from the office so looks can take priority over practicality. If it does end up being a slightly hard ride, it'll only bother me for 10 minutes each day while it will look amazing in the car park all day long, haha.

Don't really want to turn this thread into a debate about 18" vs. 19" as there already seems to be hundreds of those. I will be getting 19's. End Of. But some help finding the perfect 19's at the right price, and I'm all ears.

You might remember me pestering you about you car a few months ago when I said I was looking for a bright red S-Line. I was SO close to getting one as well but the ******* only wanted to give me £500 for my B5, so I took it 10 minutes down the road where a lovely ford dealership offered me £1500 for it. Plus this sliver grey one I have ended up with was almost a grand cheaper with a lot less miles on it. Unfortunately, no leather or aluminium inserts as it's just the sport model with the S-Line kit. But it was fitted by Audi from new according to all the documents.

Off the top of my head the specs are... 04 Plate A4 1.8T Quattro Sport. From the short time I was inside I noticed it had the center armrest/anti-handbrake device (lol), bose speakers and cd changer in the glove box. Any other toys I should look out for when I pick it up on Saturday?

And cheers for the tips on how to not kill my turbo, I guess I won't be ragging to work evey morning now; it won't even have started to warm up by the time I get there.

1 Wheelonly: I suppose that would have been an option at the time, but the deal is done now. I said I wanted to take my Alpine head unit out and put the stock casset player back in, but that he could keep the wheels (I've kissed a lot of curbs with them and they don't look very pretty any more). Seemed reasonable as the wheels on the new one had only just been refurbished so they'll be like new for me to sell. He also said he would take out the phone kit that was in there and get it looking like new.

Just looking at J7USS' car alone is bad enough for my bank balance, but no mortgage (thanks to renting with my mates) leaves me with about a grand of play money every month so it'll hopefully be mods'a'plenty every time pay day rolls around.

I have no plans to lower her as yet but you never know...

I'm more interested in the whole dump valve thing now I've got a turbo to play with, so after the wheels are on I'll probably be asking lots of questions about that next.

Cheers Guys!

:lmfao:@ 1wheel! - Watch it, dont scare the poor lad :) Im gutted though, the major plans I had for mine got squashed soon as the recession started to bite hard!!! Had some great plans from sept when i came back from Holiday, didnt realise it would affect me that bad!
You could have a point though ;)...not sure about the 20's!ha

Smooth - ahhh I remember now, Your the Web designer if Im right???:think:
I can remember you saying you got a new job and was looking for a B6 now, thought the name rang a bell.

So You going to have a grand spare every month, You swine, enjoy it while you can though because once you settle down, its See-ya!!!
I can see this is going to be an interesting project.
You should have told me, you could have bought mine if you wanted red. One minute Im getting rid then Im keeping, doing this, changing my mind doing that.....then selling it again. Its all down to the fact that I cant justify spending anything at the mo until (and hopefully it will) work picks up! (looking good for next yr Fingers crossed).

You'll end up enjoying your motor at the weekends by the sound of it, 5 mins to work, think that beats "evilscotsman's" Trip.

As yours is a sport (like mine) I think they sit well (being approx 20mm lower than standard) but id love to drop mine about another 15mm or so but my driveway is a bitch for clearance.

Just do us a favour and invest in a Diverter Valve instead of a Dump valve.
With a Diverter valve you'll still get the Whoooshh if you ad an Induction kit hence why I went back to Panel filter, so annoying and quite embarrassing but if thats what you want thebn go for it pal, after all your still Young.:respekt:

All I can say is though, with a Grand every month to spend till your happy......there will never be an End!!

Often on a Boring sunday, I tend to stand by my window looking at my car thinking "hmmmm what can i do next..." then I look at the Mrs Polo and think, well it could be worse!lol (shhh, dont say owt)

Welcome to the B6 forum, I have to say looking at the pic of yours they are fantastic looking cars! Especially with the votex bodykit. Sounds like a good call swapping the Wheels to keep the 18"'s on your B6 if it's not too late.

Yep, web designer, that's me. Been working at this new place for just coming up to 4 months now (first real job after uni). I design e-commerce sites for electrical goods retailers so as everyone is realising people aren't going out to shop any more they want a website so they can lay off their sales staff and do more business online. Got work lined up till way into the new year.

And that grand is only there to play with providing I don't blow it on trainers, clothes and other useless crap us youngsters still spend our money on, lol. I live with 4 other guys; my brother and two mates so with 4 incomes living is pretty cheap and leaves me plenty of car spending money. I hope works picks up for you soon though mate, I'd love to see whatever crazy plans you have for your car become a reality... It already looks amazing!?

Mine will certainly be a weekend car, my girlfriend lives in London so I'll get to take it on a nice A1 trip every now and then, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper to just spend £18 on a train ticket. I'd probably spend the whole journey on my phone flicking through photos of my car and kicking myself for not taking her our for a play on the tarmac.

As for the sports suspension, looks wise I'm pretty happy with how it sits. Obviouly I haven't driven it much yet, but it felt just fine to me so can't see myself wanting to change it, certainly not any time soon. What I really did notice was how much more solid it felt compared my B5, so much more responsive... oh god, I can't wait for Saturday to roll 'round!

This diverter/dump valve business, what would they actually do performance wise? A subtle "ptchssssss" would be nice but I'm not overly bothered. Plus I could probably get that from a nitrous purge if one day my brain fell out and I found several thousand pounds in my pocket, haha. But realisticly the future only holds a tasty induction kit and maybe an exhaust to get her sounding really nice... And then my attention will turn to the interiour.

The Diverter valves and inductions dont give you pure performance in BHP but you'll notice a difference in driveability. When I changed my N75 and diverter together, my revs felt so much smoother and felt like the engine was running smoother and sharper too. Then adding the induction, I liked it more for the Noise....at first, seemed to tick over better and breath a whole lot easier aswell.

Like I said before, I went for a Powerflow on mine because I do rate them when they are done by someone who knows exactly what they are doing but mine has defo got louder which is why I was thinking of chnging again - plus it was half the price of a miltek at the time!!

Forget the £18 train ticket - Feed the A1 the A4!!

I dont really do that much mileage in mine either, mainly weekend driving.
When I took mine for its MOT, my mate asked me if I had been driving it much because id only done 3200 miles in a year. Im usually in my Van around the UK (when Its Busy) and work away quite abit too.
I reckon a full tank would last me a month sometimes :)...

You'll be walking round in 7yr old trainers when the Bug hits you for real mate, then it'll be sandles lol...With that amount of Bread to spend each month is going to become a serious addiction especially being 22 with a Mature A4;)

So yeah when my work picks up, Ill be deciding what exactly im going to do with mine whether sell or Engine Mod it...its just that there are so many motors up for grabs these days for silly money that I thought wouldnt have been in my grasp but thats changed drastically for the sellers!

Cheers J7USS, 'driveability' sounds like a good enough excuse to me. I'm not overly bothered about increasing the bhp; it's already 190!? Already quite a step up from my 1.8 B5. I'll probably pester you for some more info on the diverter valve and induction kit at a later date; where to buy, specific parts etc.

For now I think I may have found my wheels...

OZ_canova_blk.jpg

Should be around £1300 with tyres, but I'm still shopping around for a good retailer. Quite fancy one of those 6 month interest free credit finance deals some of them are offering.

I had a call from the dealership today saying they were having trouble removing the factory fitted phone kit. So I might have to take her over to audi and get them to do it propperly. Surely it can't be THAT difficult can it? Not sure what they can do about the holes that will be left in the center console? I'll have to get rid of them some how- holes in the dash is not acceptable. Maybe the guys at Hazzy Dayz have some tricks up their sleeves?

Only 2 more days till I pick her up!! :yahoo:

Well hello young man and like you I have now moved over to the B6 section so some new thing to learn and a load I already know.

I'm glad you bought the quattro model and a late 04 like mine so you have a good base to start with.

I would also look at the suspension if you go 18" to give it the right ride hight to add to you list of things.

Now for wheels:

I love these BBS LM style wheels

B2LMN.JPG

Link
Cheaper option

Liking those wheels SMooth, Its just another kick to get Bigger Brakes though, My spokes are spacy enough and I always get " you need bigger brakes to replace them little biscuits you got behind them"!!!

I do like them though, OZ have always been pricey.

Loving the LM's too Doc, just be a Ballache to clean.
My old Rs4's used to take me 45mins to clean alone....am I just Lazy!:blush:

Hey Smooth, You'll have to get some fresh Pics up when you pick her up.
...oh and you think im a bad Influence,You wait till you see what Docs got in line for his...:hubbahubba:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liking those wheels SMooth, Its just another kick to get Bigger Brakes though, My spokes are spacy enough and I always get " you need bigger brakes to replace them little biscuits you got behind them"!!!

I do like them though, OZ have always been pricey.

Loving the LM's too Doc, just be a Ballache to clean.
My old Rs4's used to take me 45mins to clean alone....am I just Lazy!:blush:

Hey Smooth, You'll have to get some fresh Pics up when you pick her up.
...oh and you think im a bad Influence,You wait till you see what Docs got in line for his...:hubbahubba:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He knows what I'm like from the B5 section.:eyebrows:

Hey Doc, fancy seeing you here!? I'm not stalking you, honest.

So you've joined the B6 club too? I hope this doesn't mean anything's happened to your beautiful RS4? All in one piece?

I'm not too sure about changing the suspension. J7USS is rolling on 19's with the same sport suspension as me and his looks just fine in my opinion. Obviously low always looks good but I do still need to be able to navigate the occasional speed bump. We shall see though, there is a long list of other things I want to do before I start messing with the suspension.

I do actually quite like those BBS wheels, definitely fancy having a shiny polished lip on whatever I get, but they've just got a few too many spokes for my liking. The OZ wheels are still winning at the moment.

So have a totally missed a crazy thread of mental Docurley B6 mods? Or are you still just planning things? If your B5 is anything to go by then your B6 is gonna be amazing!

J7USS: Yea, I see where you're coming from re the brakes. I'll have to add that onto my list of things to do. I don't know if these OZ wheels will be too bad though, the painted spokes give the illusion that they are very thin but I'm sure they're not really. But even with that said, you're right- there'll still be plenty of space to see my "tiny" standard brakes.

Pick up day will be a photo frenzy! Only a few more hours and a sleepless night to go till she's all mine. Then the 19's should be on in time to see in the new year.

And don't worry, I'm fully aware of Doc's superhero-like ability to make me spend all my money on shiny new car parts haha.

He knows what I'm like from the B5 section.:eyebrows:

Ahhh yeah Of course, I forgot!!:blink:

Hey smooth, Didnt you see what happened to Docs B5????? Bwastarrrds!!!

Doc - I cant wait to see your project mate, Its going to be a hard one to beat...:yes:

So then Smooth, all set for your Pick up tomorrow!
Them Oz's, black roof with light tints = :hubbahubba:....You know it makes sense!!!;)

The overall look I'm going for should scare small children, arouse young ladies, and make the boy racers from Tesco car park cry themselves to sleep at night. haha.

So yea... black roof and tints are on the list, haha. I was thinking about stealing Docs smoked headlights idea straight from his B5 masterpiece.

And no, I haven't see what happened to it? Oh dear... this doesn't sound very good.

Oh my god. I can honestly say that thread has filled me with an overwhelming sense of sadness and loss. I loved Doc's car- it with without doubt what inspired me to get into this scene and gave me the confidence to work on my own car myself. It is truly amazing what one man can achieve when he puts in the hours and the hard work. I don't think I felt this bad even when my dog died. I had aspired to one day have a car even remotely as unique as Doc's and to see it destroyed makes me feel terrible and honestly puts me off even wanting to bother spending any time on my new car. If all it takes is a couple of chumps with a tow truck to destroy someone's pride and joy... I don't know, it's just devastating.

I did pick up my new car today and it's lovely; I've taken a few pictures now I've got it home which I will post later. But really, seeing what has happened to Doc's ride has put a dampener on the whole thing.

I'm really sorry Doc, it was obvious how much effort, hours and hard work had gone into that car. Such a shame.

Welcome to the B6's, I'll have to keep an eye out for you Smooth,

Unfortunatly most of the photos taken yesterday came out blurry but a couple were okay.

A4Quattro_Home.jpg

And here's the plan after I get the 19's on....

A4Quattro_Blacked.jpg

...Smoked headlights and black roof. Not sure about the mirrors yet, maybe just if I scratch them getting out of that car park every morning (It's a tight squeeze).

Well yes the car got destroyed but that should not stop you from doing your own thing, there are ******* every where and this should not stop you from doing your thing. I will start again and make a new car from a never wreck that I bought with a whole new look.

I like the black roof and will be doing another myself and the headlights will look sweet but I would slap in a hid kit if you do to up the light output.

Love the colour of the car by the way.:icon_thumright:

Yea, I suppose you're right. And hopefully karma came around and they all got hit by a bus the following week.

My mods will be on hold until after my birthday on Jan 2nd 'cause my girlfriend was asking me a LOT of questions about what wheels I wanted and I have a sneaking suspicion she is gonna get me the best birthday present ever.

She knows absolutely nothing about cars (when I asked her what she drove she just replied, "I don't know, a silver BMW... a little one") so I am slightly concerned about what I am going to end up with. But when "tyres" came up (or "tires" as she's American, lol) she did actually say, "would 'Toyo' be ok?" so that gave me some confidence.

As for the headlights, yes I was looking into the HIDs. I think I'm going to go to HazzyDayz for all my retrofit electronic toys. I quite fancy the cruise control as it's only £240, and I'm hoping the HIDs will only be £185. The b6 is 1999 - 04 right?

I'd really like a nice multi-function steering wheel too, with the flat base but they're so damn expensive. I could get a whole exhuast system for the same price and for the sake of being able to change track on the CD player without moving my hand more than 5cm, I don't know if it's worth it.

Anyway, I hope you all had a great Christmas and treated yourselves to lots of lovely A4 bits.

Sounds Promising Smooth, lets hope she dont get you some crazy Chrome spinners eh,lol!!

I bought a HID kit for mine, £75 all in and have never let me down, The upgrade is a Must. What kit is the £185????sounds expensive...

With your driving up and down the motorway Id say yeah go for the CC and keep an eye on Ebay, Ive snapped up some bargains in the past coupledays with "unwanted Present"...no audi bits though....:huh:....yet!

You'd get a set of Bentleys off ebay for £800 with tyres, then with a wee slam it would look awesome.

Thanks for the comment on my wheels too.

And J7USS, you still havent done your headlights? You lazy git!!!

You'd get a set of Bentleys off ebay for £800 with tyres, then with a wee slam it would look awesome.

Thanks for the comment on my wheels too.

And J7USS, you still havent done your headlights? You lazy git!!!

ha, I know I know, had loads of time to do them aswell, Should have sorted them by now really...:drag:

Little update; got myself some 19" R8 wheels to tide me over till I can afford the top secret ones I'll hopefully be getting some time next year.

R8wheelsOn-01.jpg

I really like 'em, especially as I always intended on getting some with a polished face and black paint job. they are 8.5J (thanks to some advice from Juss) and I'll be nipping over to tesco to make sure they're correctly inflated once I finish work (I put them on in my hour lunch break, lol).

Any recommendations on what psi I should go for? I was thinking 38 or am I mental? lol

Cheers

Phhhwwooaarrrrr they're nice mate. :hubbahubba:....your giving me ideas now;)
I used to run 34 all round but have now gone up to 36.cant really tell a difference though really.

.....and get yourself a Ciggy inflator. I dont trust them Tesco/shell/asda machines and I found I was being lazy everytime I wanted to check mine at the station.

Cheers Juss,

Tesco changed their machine for one that you have to pay for. Not gonna happen, so used the ciggy one I had at home (I always thought the petrol station ones would be more reliable?).

Makes a change for me to be giving YOU ideas!? haha.

Here's another pic...

r8Wheels02.jpg

haha - we can all learn from each other ;)
That is the Money shot there mate.
Its amazing what transformation its gave your ride by just changing the wheels.
....so what were the others you was going for??
any clues....or you still going to reveal when you do actually get them??:eyebrows:

These are the ones I was looking into with the adaptors.
M5 alloys but would have been in Anthracite...

M5Alloys.jpg

Lovely wheels them. How about the C6 RS6 5-spokes?
Or these:
MercAMGCL63Wheel.jpg

16091.jpg

How about a blacked out front bonnet and bumper grill?
Maybe a Seat Leon Cupra front splitter?

Got to get it lowered now though!!

A remap and a new exhaust?

Go on you know you wanna!!

:icon_thumright:

Hear that?

That's the sound of money being spent, and your disposable income going off in the distance that is...

:Flush:

:faint:

:tumble:

:bye:

As for tyre pressure, i do 36 front and 38 rear, seems to handle and ride well enough. With enough pressure to hopefully prevent potholes bending them . It also makes a noticable difference to economy on a run to run them higher

Looks good my man :icon_thumright:
Little update; got myself some 19" R8 wheels to tide me over till I can afford the top secret ones I'll hopefully be getting some time next year.

I really like 'em, especially as I always intended on getting some with a polished face and black paint job. they are 8.5J (thanks to some advice from Juss) and I'll be nipping over to tesco to make sure they're correctly inflated once I finish work (I put them on in my hour lunch break, lol).

Any recommendations on what psi I should go for? I was thinking 38 or am I mental? lol

Cheers

The R8 wheels look very nice :)

On tyre pressures, I think it's worth buying a good gauge (only a tenner or so) and then using in conjuction with a garage air line ;)

Juss, I was looking at those M3 wheels too! But they are not what I have my heart set on. I have been researching Porsche wheels and picked out some beauties!!! Just gonna cost me around £2000 to get them set up perfect with decent tyres and the right adapters.

Stoksey, yea the days of having a nice big chunk of disposable income are long gone. Most of my money gets sucked up furnishing my apartment, there's never really much left for the car each month. Sad times. Fortunately I've decided to put big brakes before the coffee table and headboard lol.

Cheers for the comments guys, and thanks for the info on the tyre pressures.

I saw you said you picked up your S4 brakes for only £170 Juss? Are they much bigger than the standard ones?

How much would I be looking at to get the same set up? I doubt I will be as lucky as you.

Thats correct, £170 for the Discs/Pads (only done 1500 miles) and the calipers (with carriers).
They are 345mm.Massive compared to our standards.
You have to keep your eye out for an S4 Cab/saloon breaking mate.Quite rare though...