Overfilled Oil...

JD56

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd hoped to join this forum on slightly better terms than this, but I've got a problem and need my mind put at ease!
I recently bought a 1.8 A3, in good nick all round but I noticed that it was running on empty oil wise - there were no warning lights or anything but oil didn't show at all on the dipstick. I had ~3 litres of oil floating about so I just chucked it all in, not thinking that there could be some oil in there still just not reaching dipstick level. Long story short, I've put about a litre too much in...

I couldn't get the drain plug undone last night because I didn't have a 19mm socket, so I've driven it about 40 miles since with no problems, but heard some horror stories as well as some 'a litre wont matter' stories too. If you lot say it should definitely have some taken out I'll do something with a syringe and a long tube down the dipstick hole, that'll work right?

Thanks, and hello!
JD

thatll be one huge syringe. ive not seen it done on an a3 but on my mates rover it started smoking and bogged down. If its driving ok u might be alright. Id wait for an opinion from one of our experts though.

Welcome btw

woo woo woo calm down m8 im sure the car will be fine with a little extra oil as long as uve not drowned the block in it how much above the maximum dip stick level is it showing.

Reactions: jezzy
Buy or borrow a 19mm socket?

I wouldn't risk doing damage for the sake of 10 minutes work draining and refilling, checking the dipstick often.

The problem you'll find with over filling oil is it builds up crankcase pressure and can cause the big end bearings to fail, I had it at work last week on a Alfa 156. I'd buy, borrow or steal a 19mm socket and get some out. Saying that you may be ok but I certainly wouldn't want to risk it!

Regards Rob

Thanks guys. I just found myself with 10 minutes so called a local garage who are currently doing it for me for a tenner. Sorted.

overfilled oil i worst that underfilled IMO, especially on diesels.

you will find it smokes if its hugely overfilled. i mean BELLOWS out smoke, oil will get all on the cat etc..

for the sake of 2 minutes just cracking off the 19mm sump bung and let a little drain (dont take the bung out or it will be messy trying to get i back in) just undo it, keep putting pressure on it towards the sump so it trickles then move th bung at a slight angle to lt a controllable ammount out :)

hope this helps. jamie

Overfilled oil in my friends Passat 1.8T meant dead engine, didn't help he had no mechanical knowledge at all, so the dipstick oil level was literally halfway up the stick.and he thought that's fine! lol

It's all absolutely fine now thanks to the local garage - good of them to slot me in as soon as I phoned up. Looking forward to my first long journey in this car now - Croydon to Lincoln tonight. Thanks for your help guys!

Glad you got it sorted mate :)