Owners with - brake squeal - please register your frustrations HERE!

On Friday 21st December 2012 I visited my own Audi dealer (who I've kept informed of my own brake-squeal developments = Copperslip and self-adhesive anti-sqeal shims) and asked:

Q1) Will the application of Copperslip affect my warranty?
Answer: No!

Note all of these questions were asked as others have posted different replies from their Audi dealer to similar questions.

Q2) Will the addition of the Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shim affect my warranty?
Answer: No! However, if the material should set on fire causing damage then yes! (It won't of course as I've already tested the flammability of the material using a hot-plate, plus I've been using the material for years on fast-road Lotus Elans, etc. and never had an issue with it, period!)

Q3) Is there an Audi bulletin to dealers saying 'DO NOT attempt to modify the RS3 and/or TTRS brakes?' Answer: Not that they are aware; there is however a general Audi bulletin relating to brakes that affects ALL Audi cars but not one model specifically.

Q4) Are there any changes/modifications listed for my car (2011 build) in particular?
Answer: No! The only modification listed is for the offside front brake duct - done.

Q5) Is there an authorised Audi UK dealer plan of action?
Answer: Not that they are aware.

Q6) Have you heard of the Audi 'fix' to be announced on 14th December 2012?

Q7) Have you heard of the Audi 'fix' to be announced in the first quarter of 2013?

Q8) Have you heard of "a Bulletin to all dealers NOT to do any fixes ... any fixes after Nov 23rd will void any further warranty"?

Q9) I then visited another Audi dealership (not Stafford) and asked: Is brake-squeal a warranty issue?
Answer: No! Brake-squeal in general is NOT a warranty issue but only an annoyance that may or not be addressed an individual dealer. And in fact, this was the response I had (in February 2011) when I first raised the issue at Stafford Audi - and nothing seems to have changed since then.

If anyone knows different then please post.

Finally, I've been re-reading Mr. Sander's letter to elton121272 where Mr. Sander says "Brake noise is caused by vibrations occurring between the brake pad and discs and is usually outside of the normal hearing range, and therefore not audible to the driver. We are aware of isolated cases with the RS3, where under specific driving conditions, noises can be heard."

As an engineer (ok, retired but still a hands-on engineer) a very good technical-term comes to mind that's not printable here....

Re: the RS4. I think it says it all. If Audi are providing Mr. Clarkson, who I like very much and have mega-respect for, with a car that brake-squeals then the RS3 owners are lost! The RS4 is a new car with a number of sales-years ahead of it. The RS3 is old, no longer available, why worry? Would you?

Last edited:
Just a reminder of that squeal (a downhill video this time... just click on the photo below) ... it does sound like Jeremy Clarkson's description, but 100 times louder :wtf:

PLEASE NOTE this video was taken before 45bvtc's fix. My brakes have remained totally silent since :thumbsup:

I'm enjoying driving the car a lot more now too ... it's funny how little annoyances can spoil your enjoyment !

I can't see any warranty issues either, as everything can be taken off and cleaned up anyway to put them back to normal.

Ok, mine is withthe dealer today - unfortunatly it is raining so the brakes are silent however they did agree dismatle the front brakes then rebuild and add some copper grease to the back of the pads when re building.

I asked the dealer the same questions that 45bvtc posted above to see what answers I got, interestingly some were different - I find it F^%$ing frustrating when its seems Audi Germany cant just send an e-mail or something to all dealers so the message is consistant - or if they have the dealers need to spread the information better.

Answer: No

Q2) Will the addition of the Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shim affect my warranty?
Answer: No! However, if the material should set on fire causing damage then yes! (It won't of course as I've already tested the flammability of the material using a hot-plate, plus I've been using the material for years on fast-road Lotus Elans, etc. and never had an issue with it, period!) I got pretty much the same answer

Q3) Is there an Audi bulletin to dealers saying 'DO NOT attempt to modify the RS3 and/or TTRS brakes?' Answer: There is a warning that the brakes maybe noisey on TTRS's and RS3's and advise that a fix is being worked on

Q4) Are there any changes/modifications listed for my car (2011 build) in particular?
Answer: No! The only modification listed is for the offside front brake duct - done. Same

Answer: Not that they are aware. Same

Answer: No! Same

Q7) Have you heard of the Audi 'fix' to be announced in the first quarter of 2013?
Answer: No! Same - even though Audi Customer care told me there was!

Q8) Have you heard of "a Bulletin to all dealers NOT to do any fixes ... any fixes after Nov 23rd will void any further warranty"?

After a very informative chat with 45vtc I collected my car and spoke with service team, I was told (and shown photographs of my brakes in pieces that have also been sent to Audi Germany) that the only thing they see that is not what they would expect is that the pins holding the pad in the disk and the shim all fit but fit very loosely, I asked if the pads were hard to remove like 45vtc found on his but were told they came out 'normally' and as they would expect.
Apparently this dealer was instrumental in getting an Audi approved fix on RS6 DRC issues to UK customers.
They think the noise may be caused by these parts vibrating very slightly at high frequency. They think the addition of a couple of springs to the ends of the pins would stop this. I wasn’t completely sold on this but then I was shown a picture of the back of my pads and although there was certainly marks from the calliper pistons these (from the pictures at least) didn’t seem to be any were near as bad as the ones pictured in this thread.

I got told that one issue on getting a fix from Audi is that there are only 750 RS3's in the UK so if you are on the list and have this issue contact Audi customers services directly (if you haven’t already) to complain so they are more than aware we are not happy, don’t just be fobbed off by dealers!

After this I mentioned that TTRS owners have experienced the same thing, and I was told that the TTRS had virtually the same brake duct recall as the RS3.....but when the work was done on the TT's Audi supplied replacement brake pads as well but not on the RS3 recall, this seems a little strange.

Anyhow as I requested they did use the Audi equivalent of copper grease on the back of my pads before putting everything back together..........................and I had a silent drive home!!! :)

But I know all I have is 45vtc's temp fix basically. IMHO when Audi get round to producing a fix it will be to add something to the pad as 45vtc has proved. I am just hoping the temp fix lasts until then!

If not I may get my hands dirty after all as it was suddenly sooooo good to drive a car that stops silently again :)

That's interesting as my pins and pads were very firmly and tightly stuck in place.

The vibration appeared to come from the pistons against the (slightly worn / damaged) bare metal at the back of the pads.

That's interesting as my pins and pads were very firmly and tightly stuck in place.

The vibration appeared to come from the pistons against the (slightly worn / damaged) bare metal at the back of the pads.

I think you're spot on JonnyG!

And as S3 AD says: "but then I was shown a picture of the back of my pads and although there was certainly marks from the calliper pistons": and that's metal-to-metal contact as far as I'm (45bvtc) concerned.

It IS the DIRECT piston to brake-pad contact (pistons are dancing on the back of a metal brake-pad back-plate) that's the primary cause of the RS3 brake squeal; along with the fact that the brake-pad is fast/stuck/seized in the brake-caliper, PLUS the original Audi/Brembo anti-squeal material applied to the back of the brake-pad is NOT-FIT-FOR-PURPOSE.

So hey! AUDI/BREMBO: get the grey matter engaged and work it out! Maybe it's failure of the brake-pad applied anti-squeal shim?

AND as for RS3/TTRS brake-disc distortion: the fact that the brake-pad is fast/stuck/seized into the caliper may also be the primary cause of brake-disc distortion as, if the brake-pad is unable to lift-off/away from the brake-disc then the heat-soak from the (hot) brake-pad to brake-disc may cause a period on uneven heat-soak causing localised brake-disc distortion.

Maybe? What do I know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: robbiemac
Ok, mine is withthe dealer today - unfortunatly it is raining so the brakes are silent however they did agree dismatle the front brakes then rebuild and add some copper grease to the back of the pads when re building.

I asked the dealer the same questions that 45bvtc posted above to see what answers I got, interestingly some were different - I find it F^%$ing frustrating when its seems Audi Germany cant just send an e-mail or something to all dealers so the message is consistant - or if they have the dealers need to spread the information better.

Answer: No

Answer: No! However, if the material should set on fire causing damage then yes! (It won't of course as I've already tested the flammability of the material using a hot-plate, plus I've been using the material for years on fast-road Lotus Elans, etc. and never had an issue with it, period!) I got pretty much the same answer

Q3) Is there an Audi bulletin to dealers saying 'DO NOT attempt to modify the RS3 and/or TTRS brakes?' Answer: There is a warning that the brakes maybe noisey on TTRS's and RS3's and advise that a fix is being worked on

Answer: No! The only modification listed is for the offside front brake duct - done. Same

Answer: Not that they are aware. Same

Answer: No! Same - even though Audi Customer care told me there was!

Asked the same set of questions when speaking with Coulsdon Audi on Thursday and broadly speaking got the same answers. There seems to be a lot of unsubstantiated rumours doing the rounds, along with not a lot of accurate information/proactive action from Audi!

I've agreed to provide details about the fix as documented by 45bvtc and Coulsdon Audi will get this done, although it is likely that it won't be covered by warranty (but will also not invalidate it). However, it will be worth it just to renew the enjoyment of driving what is otherwise an awesome car.

Coulsdon Audi - any developments monkeyboy_marcus?

Have Coulsdon Audi applied a brake-squeal 'fix' to your car, or not?

If yes, are your brakes now squeal-free?

On the 29th December, having taken advice from your post #124 i.e., "contact Audi customers services directly (if you haven’t already) to complain", I did write (email) to Audi Customers Services (actually to the Director of Audi UK) to ensure my own car was registered with the brake-squeal issue. I added that I had already "developed a cost effective and long-term (in the field) solution" that is currently proving to be "100% effective" i.e., the bait...

I copied the same email to my own Audi dealer.

On 4th January I had a reply (email) from a Customer Relations Manager in the Audi UK Executive Office requesting details of my own 'repairs'. Between the 4th and 6th January I have sent 5-emails detailing a) my 'repair/fix' and b) my own theories to probable 'cause' and 'effect', to Audi UK.

I can assure ALL that the Director of Audi UK and at least one Customer Relations Manager in the Audi UK Executive Office here in the UK does now know there's an existing RS3 brake-squeal issue that needs an Audi approved resolution.

What they do about it, or when, however...

If you haven't complained already to Audi Customer Services to register you own car then you ought to do so today.

Last edited:
The good news is that 45btvc's fix is still working 100% and I have now covered over 900 miles since it was done.

In that time I have only heard the most minor "squeak" from my brakes twice ... and that could have been the back brakes for all I know.

Coulsdon Audi - any developments monkeyboy_marcus?

Have Coulsdon Audi applied a brake-squeal 'fix' to your car, or not?

If yes, are your brakes now squeal-free?

On the 29th December, having taken advice from your post #124 i.e., "contact Audi customers services directly (if you haven’t already) to complain", I did write (email) to Audi Customers Services (actually to the Director of Audi UK) to ensure my own car was registered with the brake-squeal issue. I added that I had already "developed a cost effective and long-term (in the field) solution" that is currently proving to be "100% effective" i.e., the bait...

I copied the same email to my own Audi dealer.

On 4th January I had a reply (email) from a Customer Relations Manager in the Audi UK Executive Office requesting details of my own 'repairs'. Between the 4th and 6th January I have sent 5-emails detailing a) my 'repair/fix' and b) my own theories to probable 'cause' and 'effect', to Audi UK.

I can assure ALL that the Director of Audi UK and at least one Customer Relations Manager in the Audi UK Executive Office here in the UK does now know there's an existing RS3 brake-squeal issue that needs an Audi approved resolution.

What they do about it, or when, however...

If you haven't complained already to Audi Customer Services to register you own car then you ought to do so today.

Coulsdon Audi - same deal as before, hands are tied etc. However, the workshop manager has said that if I detail the 45bvtc fix, they will apply it and monitor it's effectiveness (not under warranty though), although with the caveat that it is not approved by Audi. So it's a matter of doing this or going down the buy back route and going for an alternative motor. Will keep you posted about what route I go down...

Quick and dirty translation:

Audi responded to technical problems with the brakes on the top models Audi RS3 and Audi TT RS and offers a free brake replacement on a modified brake system.
After customer complaints for one and a half years about delayed braking in the wet, jerks, loud squeal and high wear complain, the manufacturer of that redesigned brake system of both models. Stephan Reil, Director of development of Quattro GmbH in Neckarsulm, where RS3 and TT RS, and Florian Heuberger, Manager announced service technology at Audi, auto motor und sport in, that the holders of affected vehicles can replace brakes for free. Up to 5,700 models of the RS3 from model year 2011 are affected and 6,100 TT RS model year 2010.

Replacement part availability from March "All customers will be helped", assured Quattro. Modified Audi has the brake caliper and the pads, to eliminate the occurring most frequently and mainly at low speeds squeaking noises when decelerating...

In the series, the changes are applied also in the coming weeks. However could be the exchange in the workshops of "in depending on the availability of parts at least until the end of March or even longer", Hammond estimates. Audi, however, sees no need for action for wear and tear. "Our guidelines hold the brake pads 30,000 kilometers, the disks reach the double mileage - appropriate treatment provided."

Will contact Audi UK and see i there is any official news...

Don't get your hopes up! Audi UK have no information about any solution or timescale - no change from yesterday.

What is the date associated with this text?

The good news is that 45btvc's fix is still working 100% and I have now covered over 900 miles since it was done.

In that time I have only heard the most minor "squeak" from my brakes twice ... and that could have been the back brakes for all I know.

Right, Mintex anti-squeal shims bought from ebay (£17.00), car booked in for Thursday @ Coulsdon Audi for the 45btvc fix to be implemented. Should take less than an hour apparently. Will update on results - finger's crossed...

Right, Mintex anti-squeal shims bought from ebay (£17.00), car booked in for Thursday @ Coulsdon Audi for the 45btvc fix to be implemented. Should take less than an hour apparently. Will update on results - finger's crossed...

Make sure you let those guys at home know you're on your way back from Coulsdon Audi on Thursday Marcus, as they'll not be hearing your usual approach to your driveway entrance.

And no need to cross the fingers, as I'm 100% confident of the resulting 'silent' (front) brakes.

Good job...

You will be a lot happier with your car after Thursday ... believe me :yes:

Especially with some more cold dry weather on the way !

My car is now logged wiith Audi UK and I've been promised the official "fix" when it eventually arrives. No date was given to me.

Now 1200 miles done (over 200 today in the cold !) with the 45btvc fix and still silent !

Last edited:

Stuck mine on last weekend and threw away the ear plugs. Soooo quiet.

The complaining way wasn't getting me anyhere so didit myself.

Stuck mine on last weekend and threw away the ear plugs. Soooo quiet.

The complaining way wasn't getting me anyhere so didit myself.

Glad to hear it mate. Hopefully others will follow suit and we will be happy, content RS3 owners again! After all, this complaining isn't doing the image of the car any good and it doesn't deserve to be tarnished by this one issue.

Don't know if this thread is still going, just joined the forum to try and find out why brakes have just started squealing in last 2 weeks. Please add me to the list.

rafrs3

1. elton121272 brake squeal at 600 miles
2. CatnipRS3 started from delivery - only done 735 miles in 3 months as a result of unsatisfaction and awaiting fix.
3. SGJ
4. JonnyG brake squeal at 600 miles with recent fix as above by "45bvtc" and still ok 400 miles later.
5. Macdaddy brake squeal at 500 miles
6. 45bvtc brake squeal at 1.25k miles with recent fix applied by owner as detailed in this thread.
7. jamseyd24 purchased at 7000 miles with brake squeal
8. HullRs3
9. CarrG brake squeal at 3k miles
10. geek brake squeal at 1.9k miles.
11. S3 AD brake squeal at 1k miles
12. gummibear737
13. wickedstef
14. mcentee525
15. n5tew
16. monkeyboy_marcus brake squeal at 2k; brakes replaced @ 5k under warranty; squeal since returned.
17. rsteve brake squeal at 1.5k miles
18. HSP brake squeal at 1200 miles
19. Dave Hedgehog brake squeal at 2k miles on 1st RS3 and at 4k on 2nd one.
20. Kohaku reports ZERO brake squeal
21. robbiemac brake squeal at 700 miles
22. A3simon
23. nickbb brake squeal at 2.5k miles
24. s3kel
25. boozyjay brake squeal at 7500 miles
26. RSjack brake squeal at 1.9k miles
27. Moschops brake squeal at 950 miles
28. Suzuka62 brake squeal at 1k miles
29. rafrs3 brake squeal at 12k miles

Don't know if this thread is still going, just joined the forum to try and find out why brakes have just started squealing in last 2 weeks. Please add me to the list.

rafrs3

2. CatnipRS3 started from delivery - only done 735 miles in 3 months as a result of unsatisfaction and awaiting fix.
3. SGJ
4. JonnyG brake squeal at 600 miles with recent fix as above by "45bvtc" and still ok 400 miles later.
6. 45bvtc brake squeal at 1.25k miles with recent fix applied by owner as detailed in this thread.
8. HullRs3
12. gummibear737
13. wickedstef
14. mcentee525
15. n5tew
16. monkeyboy_marcus brake squeal at 2k; brakes replaced @ 5k under warranty; squeal since returned.
22. A3simon
24. s3kel

Mate, don't wait for Audi to come up with anything, I've been waiting since August 2012 and got nowhere. Finally got the 45bvtc fix applied last week and have been squeal free since... (although there is an annoying rattle/squeak that I can't pin down coming from somewhere inside the car!)

Welcome to the forum !

It's interesting that your RS3 has done 12,000 miles and just started squealing now !

Probably the cold dry weather we had last week but some owners have reported their squeal went away after around 7000-8000 miles.

rafrs3

I'm with monkeyboy_marcus when he says "Mate, don't wait for Audi to come up with anything, I've been waiting since August 2012 and got nowhere. Finally got the 45bvtc fix applied last week and have been squeal free since..."

My complaining and writing wasn't getting me anywhere as all of the guys on the phone at Audi aren't engineers, they don't know about the problem anyway, and don't want to know.

I was getting so pi...d off with the noise I did the Mintex 'fix' myself - thanks to 45bvtc. And no squeal now with 500miles on the Mintex 'fix'.

Best do it yourself rafrs3 or get the bits of eBay and get a local garage to fit em.

Hello to everyone on the forum, please add me to the list, I purchashed the car new last September, brake squeal started at about 1000 miles then stopped it has started again in this cold weather but only when braking gently now at 3200 miles! I will contact audi tomorrow.

I'll be asking my supplying dealer about this recall / fix Stephen Reil has alluded to tomorrow as well.

For the second time in as many days my brakes felt terrible today with no braking friction available on initial application when not used for a while in extreme wet / snow conditions on dual carriageways to the point they needed to be pumped 2-3 times for retardation and then when they did work the car pulled from one side to the other as the pads found friction on one disc to the other with pads grinding against metal. A scary feeling in this type of weather, almost feels like the water / snow is getting between the discs and pads. Anyone else experienced anything remotely similar? This isn't just a need for shims.

Not experienced anything remotely similar, fortunately. Squeal apart, they're very good brakes in my 6k mile driving experience. If you start talking to Audi about safety issues they may pay more attention than "just" cosmetic braking features like the squeal...

My RS3 has the same breaks problem aswell, I`ll had my name to the list

1. elton121272
2. CatnipRS3
3. SGJ
4. JonnyG
5. Macdaddy
6. 45bvtc
7. jamseyd24
8. HullRs3
9. CarrG
10. geek
11. S3 AD
12. gummibear737
13. wickedstef
14. mcentee525
15. n5tew
16. monkeyboy_marcus
17. rsteve
18. HSP
19. vito​

Reactions: Kelza
I'll be asking my supplying dealer about this recall / fix Stephen Reil has alluded to tomorrow as well.

For the second time in as many days my brakes felt terrible today with no braking friction available on initial application when not used for a while in extreme wet / snow conditions on dual carriageways to the point they needed to be pumped 2-3 times for retardation and then when they did work the car pulled from one side to the other as the pads found friction on one disc to the other with pads grinding against metal. A scary feeling in this type of weather, almost feels like the water / snow is getting between the discs and pads. Anyone else experienced anything remotely similar? This isn't just a need for shims.

The brakes on my RS3 have been superb in these conditions as per normal, and quiet...

And the braking on snow with VREDESTEIN Wintrac 4xtremes is just brilliant so no complaints at all.

My RS3 is a keeper for me.

Reactions: Kelza
I went to Solihull Audi yesterday and they were aware of the brake issue on the TTRS and RS3 - a TTRS customer had complained there a few months ago they said. They were fine with me, they said Audi are aware of the issue and are looking into it and I have got my RS3 booked in with them on February the 8th for them to have a good look at the brakes. I'll keep you posted.

My RS3 has the same breaks problem aswell, I`ll had my name to the list

1. elton121272
2. CatnipRS3
3. SGJ
4. JonnyG
5. Macdaddy
6. 45bvtc
7. jamseyd24
8. HullRs3
9. CarrG
10. geek
11. S3 AD
12. gummibear737
13. wickedstef
14. mcentee525
15. n5tew
16. monkeyboy_marcus
17. rsteve
18. HSP
19. vito​

Vito,

Here's the correct list...added.

3. SGJ
8. HullRs3
12. gummibear737
13. wickedstef
14. mcentee525
15. n5tew
22. A3simon
24. s3kel
30. vito

Mate, don't wait for Audi to come up with anything, I've been waiting since August 2012 and got nowhere. Finally got the 45bvtc fix applied last week and have been squeal free since... (although there is an annoying rattle/squeak that I can't pin down coming from somewhere inside the car!)

FYI - rattle/squeak has been resolved and was nothing to do with the brake fix, just some stuff that had become trapped under the boot lining when the technicians lifted it up to get at the wheel nut key. Still brake squeal free and loving it!

Vito,

Here's the correct list...added.

3. SGJ
8. HullRs3
12. gummibear737
13. wickedstef
14. mcentee525
15. n5tew
22. A3simon
24. s3kel
30. vito

ok, thanx for pointing it out