Owners with - brake squeal - please register your frustrations HERE!

So out of the 20 owners on here who have advised the forum of the squeaky brakes have actually logged a complaint direct with Audi UK?

When I spoke to them the week before last they only had three owners who had actually complained to them direct about the squealing brakes.

Kohaku, it's all very well going back to the dealers tomorrow and jumping up and down, but they have been told not to carry out any work on cars until the fix has been sorted by the factory, all you'll do is **** the dealer off!!!

This happened to mine when it went last week. Was told can't do anything to the brakes as Audi Gemany are working on a fix.

So what are you to do in the mean time.wait...how long ?

The car is unsatisfactory.it doesn't meet minimal standard requirements,does it.

If you had any other faulty product you would take it back,wouldn't you,and get a full refund.

Why is this any different ?

So what are you to do in the mean time.wait...how long ? Have you complained to your dealer? Have you taken it back to where you purchased it from?:asskicking:

The car is unsatisfactory.it doesn't meet minimal standard requirements,does it. Why doesn't it? It runs doesn't it, it gets you from A to B, to only problem you have listed is the brakes....:undwech:

If you had any other faulty product you would take it back,wouldn't you,and get a full refund.Not always the case would you get a full refund, how long have you had the car...the dealer will adjust refund for wear and tear, mileage etc, if the factory are implementing a fix, why would the dealer refund you? :sob:

Why is this any different ?
Different to what? It's car, things go wrong the factory have advised the dealers they are working on a fix. Hence why my car and some of the others have had them back without a wheel being taken off. :racer:

Have you logged your complaint with Audi Uk?:shutup2:

Okay...go the call from Audi on Friday and.....

"There will be a fix announced in the first 1/4 of 2013, after Audi have extensivly tested the fix and are confident the problem will not persist."

Sorry but this is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!, I can't see this being fixed officially anytime soon and the factory is about to shut down if it's not already done so!...so defo no fix for 2012!.

Also...why should I have to f*@%! around doing the fix that '45bvtc' has come up with?, I/we all appreciate his efforts and findings but ***! the dealerships should be doing this at the very least!...I'm not going to pay the money I have to get grease on my mitts!

(Rant Over!)

Catnip,

I did ask my dealer to do this (fix that 45bvtc suggested) but they were told not to touch it by Audi UK, hence I have logged a complaint with them (Audi UK).

Like you and Kohaku I'm not very happy with several issues on my car including the brakes, but there is only so much the dealers can do especially on the brakes issues...:wtf: But if you go in ranting and raving to your dealer that is not going to get you anywhere. Been there and done that...:gun2:

So why doesn't everyone phone Audi UK and **** them off enough to get things moving.... :tumble:

Just my thoughts....:beerchug:

GUYS! I've now moved to the other side of the coin and firmly believe we MUST help Audi/Brembo to help us.

We've all been there I'm sure, given a problem to solve and wishing we had more information and, with the RS3 brakes, we do know they don't squeal when new, period, but they do start to squeal at xx-miles.

And we know that the poblem doesn't go away through hard braking or washing the wheels - and clensing the excess brake-dust from the caliper - so there has to be a different cause and resolution.

I want to make sure that Audi/Brembo know this too.

I respectfully propose that we use elton121272's list and ask him to expand it adding the mileage at which the 'squeal' was first (ok, estimate) experienced, that way we should build up a pattern that can only be of assistance to the Audi/Brembo engineers:

Mine started at 1250-miles, but then I don't use the brakes so much: so elton121272, I respectfully ask you to expand your list, and that all others furnish elton121272 with the necessary information, so that we may all see the pattern.

Very best regards to all: and you should all know, I'll be keeping my (quiet braking) RS3 for a very long time.

RS3647

Last edited:
Hi All,

When I started this thread I had already spoken and written to Audi UK - below is a copy of some of the communications. First of all I got a fairly generic response from Martin Sander via Darren, one of the Customer Service Managers'. I quickly responded with the further communication below. Without posting the full dossier - you get the point and the picture. I have spoken with martin's office yesterday and expressed various Acts which basically show the car as being 'miss sold' and unless I receive a time and action plan next week, I will be forced to seek legal advice on rejecting the car, pursuing a full refund. I also couldn't express and convey enough how dissappointing their whole customer service and lack of communications have been.

I have been assured I will receive feedback by the middle of next week. I agreed to wait till then. I have continuously provided them with references to numerous threads on this forum - most recently this work and the fine research done by 45...

Anyway, I suggest we all now contact Audi UK and put something similar in writing.

For me personally I think once a fix has been agreed then we should have it applied to new pads and discs as my 4.5k miles on the current ones have been an unpleasant one and they should consider a free advice as a gesture of goodwill...thoughts?

Cheers.

Date: 29 November 2012 09:05:36 GMT
To: elton121272
Subject: RS3 Brake issue
Dear Mr Bruce,

Below is the response direct from Martin Sander (MD) office, which can also be confirmed in writing, whilst this does not resolve the issue for you right now, Audi UK are committed to resolving this asap –

Dear Mr Bruce

Audi RS3

I am writing with reference to your recent contact with Audi regarding the brake squeal on your Audi RS3.

I am sorry that this issue has become apparent on your RS3 and that the vehicle has not met your expectations.

We are currently working very closely with both our colleagues in Quality & Technical and Audi AG to understand the nature of your concern. We are undertaking a thorough investigation to identify any possible remedy that should reduce the noise experienced from the brakes.

Brake noise is caused by vibrations occurring between the brake pad and discs and is usually outside of the normal hearing range, and therefore not audible to the driver. We are aware of isolated cases with the RS3, where under specific driving conditions, noises can be heard.

When designed, a braking system must take into account a large number of factors, especially when being used on a high performance car such as the RS3. The brake pads have to work effectively through a range of temperatures and also in a hostile environment, where they are affected by external conditions such as humidity, road salt, grit and dirt contamination.

The RS3 has been designed as a high performance vehicle and as such the development focus was to produce a braking system to match. This does not mean that it was at the expense of driving comfort; however some compromises have to be considered, as not all drivers will use the vehicle under the same conditions or driving style.

Brake noise has no detrimental effect on a vehicles braking performance or the components life expectancy. It is mainly caused when the brake is applied lightly, consistently and it has been proven that occasional hard braking applications can and will reduce the possibility of brake noise occurring.

Whilst I appreciate this may not be the update you were hoping for, Please accept my personal assurance that this topic is being treated with the highest level of priority; however I regret that I am currently unable to provide you with an exact a timescale of when a solution will be available. We will make further contact with you as soon as a solution has been identified to rectify the brake squeal on your Audi RS3.

Yours sincerely

Martin Sander
Director of Audi UK

Kind Regards

Darren Hitchen

Customer Relations Manager
Audi UK Customer Services

MY RESPONSE TO ABOVE EMAIL:

Good afternoon Darren,

First of all thank you for the response.

Whilst I appreciate Audi’s perspective on a manufacturing front with regards to high performance brakes and their component parts I feel I must re-iterate and stress my case.

Rest assured I am fully aware of audible noise levels and expectations with regards high performance vehicles. Prior to owning 3 new Audi’s in the last 2 years, I have previously owned numerous performance vehicles ranging from M3’s to Mitsubishi Evo’s. Having owned each one from new I can honestly say I have never, experienced such a high decibel brake squeal like I have with the RS3. To be frank it makes the journey completely unacceptable. I treat my car with great pride and as a company director I do not feel comfortable when clients and customers are in the car and they also witness and experience such a high drone which certainly doesn’t do Audi any justice.

In the last week it has got to the extent that I’ve found myself using a company ‘pool’ car for certain journeys as I feel somewhat embarrassed driving with colleagues in the car, when they know I am such an enthusiast. Brakes squealing like an old bus isn’t normal!

Again I appreciate the way the brakes should be worked and also the variances to driving conditions as well as outside weathering elements which can all contribute. However after having the brakes stripped and de-glazed at Glasgow Audi, to find the noise is still there as I drive from the forecourt must say something is still wrong.

On receiving your email as I returned home last night, I immediately went out to the car and took her for a spin. The noise was as ever apparent. Using my iPhone I recorded a 45 sec sample of the noise experienced from inside the cabin with the window partially down. The file is attached for your reference and experience. THE FILE ISN'T ATTACHED HERE BUT IS SIMILAR IF NOT WORSE TO THOSE ALREADY IN THIS THREAD. I’m sure you will appreciate the increased noise levels to that of a pedestrian. If this is not able to be opened on your local desktop, please send to someone with an iPhone and you will share my experience. Alternatively advise and I will begin to prepare a fully documented visual and audible file for your benefit and progress. The RS3 is far too good a piece of machinery to have this problem.

I have experienced this noise since almost my first month of ownership, although the noise levels increased as I approached the 1-2k mark with the car now on 4.2k miles. Initially I was told it was the brakes settling and then Audi looked and witnessed this to the extent I have had 2 visits to Glasgow Audi.

I feel the car experience has been completely diluted since my purchase in March as everyone hearing this noise assumes the same as me – something is wrong, and if not from a technical experience then it sounds like I have been miss sold. So much so I feel the car should be entitled to be rejected as its certainly not normal activity or an experience anyone – and I genuinely mean anyone – would be comfortable to accept....even if it was a Pigani Zonda!! Seriously I hope the file attached is able to be listed to as I would like to hear your thoughts on it?

I have attached some previous correspondence also shared with Glasgow Audi. There are a couple of URL’s attached from the RS3 Owners Clubs forums that have a fair few owners sharing a similar experience although none I’m sure as long or as blatant as mine. A fix which seems to be used is copper-slip which apparently lubricates the appropriate areas and those who have had this done are satisfied. Others have had pads & discs replaced.

See the following url’s:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/rs3-forum/165951-rs3-recall-update.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/rs3-forum/158424-squeeky-brakes.html

A very interesting post from an RS3 owner which may be of use comments:

In my car the pads were way too tight in the calipers; I had to carefully drive out each pad, however, once coated with Copperslip I was able to easily re-fit the pads. I believe (I'm a retired automotive engineer) the calipers and pads have been assembled dry and stored before assembly to the car.

My car has now done 2200 miles and the issue has not returned.

To conclude: it's not a brake discissue, and it's not a brake pad issue, but the 'dry' assembly of the two.

Either way I would like a speedy resolve or at least short term an alternative car to drive whilst this is corrected.

I would appreciate this email being kindly passed to Martin Sander for his information.

I look forward to hearing from your soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: robbiemac

I respectfully propose that we use elton121272's list and ask him to expand it adding the mileage at which the 'squeal' was first (ok, estimate) experienced, that way we should build up a pattern that can only be of assistance to the Audi/Brembo engineers:

Mine started at 1250-miles, but then I don't use the brakes so much: so elton121272, I respectfully ask you to expand your list, and that all others furnish elton121272 with the necessary information, so that we may all see the pattern.

Sure no problem - I am happy to tidy up everyone to the list and if those want to PM me approx mileage when Break Squeal became apparent I will also add this alongside the forum member.

ideally we can get this done over the weekend and come Monday we can start 'squealing' our names to Audi UK.

Hi Elton...

Thank you for posting your correspondence to and from Mr. Sander:

I still believe this to be true: "In my car the pads were way too tight in the calipers; I had to carefully drive out each pad, however, once coated with Copperslip I was able to easily re-fit the pads. I believe (I'm a retired automotive engineer) the calipers and pads have been assembled dry and stored before assembly to the car."

I'll bet the calipers are assembled in Italy, a suitable spacer inserted to simulate the brake disc, and then hydraulically tested to check for leakage past the seals. The assemblies are then most probably stores, shipped, stored and then fitted to cars (TTRS and RS3) and then shipped to distributors - I have been in the industry.

However, I now believe the resolution to be different, as I believe it's the original anti-squeal shim to be the cause of the squeal. Copperslip works, of course it does, but it's not the long-term solution, which is why I'd like to see a mileage/wear indicator chart.

Some of the other reasoning from Mr. Sander is just 'management speak' to divert attention from the issue. He is correct in one respect however, these brakes are designed for high performance, and in my view are most probably the best brakes I've ever experienced on a road car, and remain brilliant in slow speed applications, and I'm sure Mr. Sander will agree, but the brake squeal at low speed is unacceptable.

Again, Audi Stafford has a TTRS being driven by a Sales Manager who, I am reliably informed, is seriously ******-off (a technical term, again) with the brake squeal emitted from his front brakes at low speed. Now I know that we will all be sympathetic to his predicament and hopefully he'll be giving Mr. Sander some earache - or trying the self-adhesive anti-squeal shims as previously detailed to Stafford Audi by a responsible customer.

Time will tell...

Again, my respect to all; we ARE getting closer to a satisfactory resolution for all RS3 and TTRS owners: stay positive!

Last edited:
1. elton121272 brake squeal at 600 miles
2. CatnipRS3
3. SGJ
4. JonnyG
5. Macdaddy
6. 45bvtc
7. jamseyd24
8. HullRs3
9. CarrG
10. geek
11. S3 AD
12. gummibear737
13. wickedstef
14. mcentee525
15. n5tew
16. monkeyboy_marcus brake squeal at 2k; brakes replaced @ 5k under warranty; squeal since returned.
17. rsteve
18. HSP
19. Dave Hedgehog
20. Kohaku
21. robbiemac brake squeal at 700 miles
22. A3simon
23. nickbb brake squeal at 2.5k miles
24. s3kel
25. boozyjay
26. RSjack brake squeal at 1.9k miles

ALL - have sent another email to AUdi UK this evening alerting them of this threat as a collective grievance on the brake squeal which will hopefully magnify and intensify this issue to push for a resolve.

I urge everyone to also contact their dealership if not already, and then follow up with similar compliaint to Audi UK - the more we register the quicker the action!

I have also highlighted their attentions to the fine research and remedial implementation done by our very own resident "45bvtc" ...a non directorate invitation from the board of Brembo is on its way !

Whilst annoying (and I sit in traffic with my car do get it more than most) it's not a deal beaker, but does need resolving.

It will take a little time for the parties involved to get sorted as testing takes time etc

I would rather wait and get the job done properly

My first car started squealing at 2k miles this one at 4k miles and its getting worse

I see that 45bvtc has proposed the TTRS owner/drivers compile a similar list to that our elton121272 started - Audi/Brembo please note; well they are complaining too.

RS3 booked into dealership 14/01/13 for brake inspection.

Car's in for two day's, hope the replacement car is interesting....... S7 anyone!

After this inspection I'll contact Audi UK with the details.

For the record my break squeal occurred after 700 miles, done 2000miles in three weeks and mostly motorway mileage.

Break squeal is generally at lower speeds 20mph to dead stop, also noticed breaks can be a bit 'grabby/sticky' when you take you're foot of the brake to apply the accelerator.

It's still a total love affair of a car, nothing's perfect........ But want to show solidarity to my RS3 owners area members.....:thumbsup:

I've now done 400 miles in the six days since 45bvtc "fixed" my squeal. Today has been the ideal conditiions for the squeal to return (cold, dry weather and lots of town driving) but I'm pleased to report that the brakes have still remained totally silent.

For the record, my squeal started at around 600 miles and gradually got worse up to 2600 miles before seeing 45bvtc.

The conditions for the squeal are

1. Dry roads

2. 5mph to 0mph only (i.e the very last few metres before stopping)

3 Cold (but dry weather) seems to make it worse.

4. It takes about 10-15 minutes of driving before it starts (i.e it does'nt squeal straight away from a cold start in the morning, but will be squealing consistently at every stop fifteeen minutes later)

At first I thought I may be able to live with it, but after parking in multi-storey car parks where you need to wind your window down to access the ticket machines, I realised just how deafening it was. The video I posted above gives a clue with the echo you can hear.

Last edited:
2. CatnipRS3
3. SGJ
4. JonnyG brake squeal at 600 miles with recent fix as above by "45bvtc" and still ok 400 miles later.
5. Macdaddy brake squeal at 500 miles
6. 45bvtc brake squeal at 1.25k miles with recent fix applied by owner as detailed in this thread.
7. jamseyd24
8. HullRs3
9. CarrG
10. geek
11. S3 AD
12. gummibear737
13. wickedstef
14. mcentee525
15. n5tew
16. monkeyboy_marcus brake squeal at 2k; brakes replaced @ 5k under warranty; squeal since returned.
17. rsteve brake squeal at 1.5k miles
18. HSP
19. Dave Hedgehog brake squeal at 2k miles on 1st RS3 and at 4k on 2nd one.
20. Kohaku
22. A3simon
24. s3kel
25. boozyjay
27. Moschops brake squeal at 950 miles

Mine started at 3000 miles.

When I complained to Audi UK they said they have had no other complaints.

They said the same in May and June regarding other issues....

Do we end up naming the Customer Service Managers..

Picked my car up from the dealer yesterday for some other work, I asked them to check up on the brake issue, they told me that there was formal recognition of the issue and expected a fix early in the new year.

Class...

Audi UK just told me there is no known fault, they have no other complaints and there is no technical bulletin regarding the brakes on the RS3...

elton121272 brake squeal at 600 miles
2. CatnipRS3
3. SGJ
4. JonnyG brake squeal at 600 miles with recent fix as above by "45bvtc" and still ok 400 miles later.
6. 45bvtc brake squeal at 1.25k miles with recent fix applied by owner as detailed in this thread.
7. jamseyd24
8. HullRs3
9. CarrG
10. geek - started at 1900 miles, initially only when cold and crawling, now also when hot and after repeated use.

11. S3 AD
12. gummibear737
13. wickedstef
14. mcentee525
15. n5tew
18. HSP
20. Kohaku
22. A3simon
24. s3kel
25. boozyjay

I have just got off the phone with Audi Customer services - I explained the issues and that they have already been contacted by other owners with eh same issue. All they could do was log the issue and said some one would contact me with 24hrs to discuss further.....23hrs 34mins left......if I dont get a call back as promised I will not be happy and will be escalating further. If I get any useful information at all I will post here.

elton121272 brake squeal at 600 miles
2. CatnipRS3
3. SGJ
7. jamseyd24
8. HullRs3
9. CarrG
10. geek - started at 1900 miles, initially only when cold and crawling, now also when hot and after repeated use.
11. S3 AD - started at about 1k, then had brake recall done and this seemed to make it worse if anything - agian about 7mph - 0mph
12. gummibear737
13. wickedstef
14. mcentee525
15. n5tew
18. HSP
20. Kohaku
22. A3simon
24. s3kel
25. boozyjay

Ok! In my own view the pattern emerging is that all RS3 owner/drivers suffer the commencement of brake-squeal between 500 and 2500-miles; the range is due, obviously, to brake activity i.e., some of us brake harder than others (nickbb may be a worry for this argument, respect!! nickbb).

To assist elton121272, and we should all give credit to him for starting this posting, I'll write a PM (I have the time, tsk) to all of those listed who haven't as yet provided an estimate of their mileage, i.e.,

CatnipRS3, SGJ, HullRS3, gummibear737,
wickedstef, mcente525, n5tew, HSP, Kohaku,
A3simon, s3kel, boozyjay, and Suzuka62.

For me, I've three conclusions at this time:

1) That the anti-squeal arrangement on the back of the standard Audi/Brembo brake pad is not-fit-for-purpose,

2) That Copperslip, when the pistons have pounded the brake pad sufficiently to cause the brake-squeal, does suppress the intensity of the brake-squeal, but it is not a long-term solution, 2000-miles or so, and

3) That the application of the Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shim will last the 'normal' life of the Audi/Brembo brake pad without the re-occurrence of brake squeal: and for this we need to thank JonnyG who's evaluating the 'fix' in real-world conditions.

Good work guys...

Mileage

Double-click on the image to enlarge; will someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here as so many of my uploads appear small.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay all, the brakes on my car started a slight squeal at around 1000 miles, which progressively got worse until around 1550 miles. Since then they have been consistent in when the sound comes, where it comes from (because it seems there is also another slight squeal of a different pitch coming from the brakes which seems it's coming from the rear) and the volume.

The first time I heard the squeal, I took the car to audi and they had a look but couldn't find any problem. They logged the details and asked me to call back if the problem persists. At around 1600 miles I booked the car in again, only this time they said there's no need to bring the car in as Audi have aknowledged the problem and will be coming out with a solution.

That the application of the Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shim will last the 'normal' life of the Audi/Brembo brake pad without the re-occurrence of brake squeal: and for this we need to thank JonnyG who's evaluating the 'fix' in real-world conditions.

Me too - Mintex shims fitted @ 9749

I just got a call back from Audi UK about this, after a lonnnnnggg phone call the out come was:

Audi GMBH are aware of the issue with the RS3 & TTRS and are working on a fix - this will not arrive before Feb2013 other than that no date available.

I asked them why do they not authorize dealers to either copper grease the back of the pads or add the shims or both until the fix arrives. I got told that the dealers will not do any temp fixes they will not touch the brakes until Audi have released a complete technical bulletin and fix. This really ****** me off, I told him that I would accept its not a permanent fix but it will stop me driving around in a car that is embarrassing when rolling to a stop for another (at least ) 7 weeks. He conceded this and said he will ask my dealer to call me to discuss this further. He also said he will keep my complaint open and when he is aware of the fix he will call me directly rather than rely on the dealer. He said when this is resolved he will try and restore my faith in the brand - I didn’t ask about this as I couldn’t give a *^$%^ what they want to try until the brakes are fixed.

So no new information yet really :-(

2. CatnipRS3 started from delivery - only done 735 miles in 3 months as a result of unsatisfaction and awaiting fix.
3. SGJ
7. jamseyd24 purchased at 7000 miles with brake squeal
8. HullRs3
9. CarrG brake squeal at 3k miles
10. geek brake squeal at 1.9k miles.
11. S3 AD brake squeal at 1k miles
12. gummibear737
13. wickedstef
14. mcentee525
15. n5tew
18. HSP brake squeal at 1200 miles
20. Kohaku reports ZERO brake squeal
22. A3simon
24. s3kel
25. boozyjay brake squeal at 7500 miles
28. Suzuka62 brake squeal at 1k miles

Last edited:
Sorry for delay as not sure on milages which will not help. Got RS3 in Jan, no probs that I noticed. Definitely noticed it around the Summer - June when on holiday. Got worst from this point. Have now done around 7k -8k miles and at the moment it is intermittent like when first noticed it around June. Car is used more on shorter, stop-start 0-30/40 or 0-50 runs than m/way trips apart from 1 day most weekends when I have a 140 mile round trip out on the M/way but usually stick around 80 & definately don't do heavy breaking.

i have taken my car in to my local Audi around 6/8 weeks ago but I believe they fobbed me off telling me that the Audi High Performance brakes are meant to make some noise, but I was not allowed to demonstrate it to anyone & when i said I wanted to speak to a Sales Manager I was again fobbed off with excuses. Possibly as I wanted to complain about other issues & he was keeping a low profile.

what I will plan to do before emailing Audi UK or my Audi dealership is to visit an independent garage run by ex. Audi Mechanics and see if they report anything better as a friend of my goes there for better Approved Audi Repairs & an MOT, plus they also fit Miltech systems, not that this is relevant :eyebrows:
If they find an issue, hopefully they can force Audi's hand into doing something proactive.

Regards
HullRs3 - John

"Ok! In my own view the pattern emerging is that all RS3 owner/drivers suffer the commencement of brake-squeal between 500 and 2500-miles"

Not exactly true, there is always the exception to the rule, 4.5K miles on the clock and not so much as a squeak out of the brakes. In fact not afflicted with any of the often mentioned door or trim rattles either!

Car is a Feb 2012 model and I have yet to put it in for any of the known recalls, ie brake duct vent mods or any software updates, it will get that when the first service is due.

regards

15. n5tew - 4.5k, now equipped with Mintex solution - silence:applaus:

Its good to know the solution that 45bvtc came up with is effective - I am just refusing to get my hands dirty and spend my time fixing something on a £45k car that is 4 months old and has a warranty

Hi Elton, I bought my RS3 from Cambridge Audi & reported the squealing as soon as I got home from picking the car up. It's now got about 1700 miles on the clock & is almost undriveable at low speed, in town etc. It's a nightmare.

Its good to know the solution that 45bvtc came up with is effective - I am just refusing to get my hands dirty and spend my time fixing something on a £45k car that is 4 months old and has a warranty

The same for me too S3 AD: I was driving a 4-month old RS3 that had developed intense brake-squeal and had had an ambivalent response from Audi to my concern.

But for me it was different: I'd paid my own hard-earned money for the 'quiet' performance of the RS3 and, though I do have a 5-year warranty on my car, decided to do something about it - that's just the way I am...

Fortunately I do have the knowledge, the hands-on experience, tools and ability; I also have the time and like to get my hands dirty.

I also have a 'quiet' braking RS3, and have had since Audi wouldn't - and still haven't!

Hopefully, they will (provide a satisfactory resolution) in the New Year.

HOWEVER: during a visit to my own Audi dealership today I was shown that for my own car, build date 12th September 2011, that there are NO updates and/or cautions and/or 'we know there's a problem' and/or do not modify brakes, and/or if you modify them it will invalidate the warranty, issues, etc., listed. So where some of you guys are getting your negative/cautionary/we won't honour the warranty advice from was not shown to me. And I've a 5-year warranty, so do have something to loose. That being said, my own brakes, and several others who've applied the fix, are quiet... shhhhhhhh.

Very best seasonal greetings and regards to all; have a very happy and squeal free Christmas - have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra
BRAKE SQUEAL supplied with the NEW RS4 as well

The following 'paragraph' is taken from Jeremy Clarkson's review in The Sunday Times 23/12/12 while testing the New Audi RS4:

"And then the brakes started misbehaving. This meant that every time I pulled up, they made a sound exactly like I was running a wetted finger around a wine glass. This made passers-by look at me very crossly."

It isn't just the RS3 and TTRS then!

I heard it on a 60 plate S4 yesterday😖. All I can say if that was me paying a 45k car it would be back at the dealers sitting until its fixed I would be totally embarrassed and angry driving it everyone turning and looking at a top end car making such a terrible noise every time I used the brakes. I feel for everyone that suffers this problem.

Hi Elton, I bought my RS3 from Cambridge Audi & reported the squealing as soon as I got home from picking the car up. It's now got about 1700 miles on the clock & is almost undriveable at low speed, in town etc. It's a nightmare.

45bvtc keeps on saying that his brakes don't squeal, now... JonnyG's and n5tew's don't either so that's 3 sorted. WHY? Ask Audi why others are doing what they can't. And my TT brakes don't squeal either.

Last edited:
I think a new email to Mr Sanders quoting Clarkson might be in order. I might also email Steve Sutcliffe at Autocar about it. Bad publicity might get Audi moving!

Hi All, please add me!

Brought new RS3 Oct 2012, started squealing from 250 miles, went in at 468, fault apparent less than 500 yards from the dealer, now at 2722 and still squealing. I have made a verbal complaint to Audi UK and have a reference for the call.

My view is simple, at £44.5k its just not acceptable, and Audi Germanys we'll fix it soon attitude is despicable at this level of vehicle.

One of the reasons I bought the RS3, is to most its just another Audi, but to those that know their cars and hear that squeal must think it’s a joke just like me.

Over the last 15 years I've had 6 Subaru Impreza’s, first 4 with standard brakes, last but one with Alcons,(upgrade) and last one WRX STi with standard brakes – not a peek out of any of then, oh and before you ask Audi, I haven’t changed my driving style !

David

BRAKE SQUEAL supplied with the NEW RS4 as well

The following 'paragraph' is taken from Jeremy Clarkson's review in The Sunday Times 23/12/12 while testing the New Audi RS4:

"And then the brakes started misbehaving. This meant that every time I pulled up, they made a sound exactly like I was running a wetted finger around a wine glass. This made passers-by look at me very crossly."

It isn't just the RS3 and TTRS then!

Mr. Darren Hitchen: Customer Relations Manager, Audi UK Customer Services, and Mr. Martin Sander: Director of Audi UK, please note!

"running a wetted finger around a wine glass" - doesn't sound so bad compared to the nails down a blackboard noise we're getting. Getting Clarkson to review it though, who thought that would be a good idea?!

Very tempted to take up the 45bvtc fix and take on Audi with a solicitor if they ever tried to wriggle out of the warranty. Would do so immediately if we were in the dry season but with all this rain on the road, the squeal is seasonally diminished, for now...

For your information:

Dear Mr Sander,

In October I bought an RS3. It’s an excellent car. Unfortunately, on the drive back from Cambridge Audi to London (where I live) the brakes started screaming. I emailed Audi Cambridge immediately I got home, but assumed it was the brakes bedding in. I’ve now covered approximately 1800 miles in it, & if anything the problem has got worse. It is so bad that I try to avoid driving it in London because the noise is so bad. To give you some idea, it sounds like the worst type of screeching that London bus brakes make.

I googled RS3 brake squeal & came upon Audi-sport.net. There are numerous examples of the same problem with various RS vehicles on this site. So I am not the only one to have shelled out a lot of money on a marvellous car, only to be significantly disappointed by a single aspect; enough to put me off driving it! I also note that Jeremy Clarkson has commented on this problem in a recent article in The Times, on the new RS4.

As this movement of disgruntled RS owners grows, so the reputation of the product will be tarnished. Obviously all of us with RS models would like this problem sorted, and as soon as possible.

I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely,