Owners with - brake squeal - please register your frustrations HERE!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha........ steering wheels huge, hate not having the flat bottomed beauty at my fingertips....... ha ha ha, gonna pay for that one!

Audi UK John McNamee Marcus Fry Rob Holden Neil Martin We very much appreciate your patience whilst final testing of remedial measures is in progress, and would advise against the use of non-genuine parts in the interim as we cannot vouch for their integrity, their durability or their inherent safety. We will issue repair instructions as soon as we can but at this stage unnecessary intervention in the braking system should be avoided

Urgh its cold and its dry that can only mean one thing...brake squeal. That noise is just horrific!! Audi said a fix would be here this month... but yet we still wait....

Just put my 2p in on Facebook.

Reactions: Kelza and monkeyboy_marcus
I have done it all already with audi uk FB..........

Keep commenting on that post guys, at least you might get some freebees out of them,but unfortunatly for the fix we just have to wait, what else can we do?

Nothing can be done as it will void the warrenty :(

Monkeyboy has the temp fix not made any difference at all ?

Mine is still squeaking but is not as bad as it used to be

Guys, I did go and ask my own Audi dealer (Stafford Audi) specifically this question (will this affect my warranty) in December 2012 (I've a 5-year warranty on my car so there's no way I'd want to invalidate my warranty), see Post #121.

In January this year, having written to Martin Sander (MD Audi UK) to complain and to make sure my car was 'listed' as one of those suffering brake-squeal, Craig Westwood (Audi UK) requested details of my 'fix'. I did then supply chapter and verse to both Audi UK and Stafford Audi of the 'fix' I've applied to my own car and to those of others.

At NO time has Audi UK and/or Stafford Audi inferred that the 'fix' I have applied would invalidate my warranty!

My argument has always been: that the original anti-squeal shim applied by Brembo (and accepted by Audi) to the original brake pad in not fit for purpose, and I've not had a single message from any of the afore mentioned that disputes this argument.

Go see Post #121 for questions and answers, i.e.:

Q1) Will the application of Copperslip affects my warranty? Answer: No!

Q2) Will the addition of the Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shim affect my warranty?
Answer: No! However, if the material should set on fire causing damage then yes!

Q3) Is there an Audi bulletin to dealers saying 'DO NOT attempt to modify the RS3 and/or TTRS brakes?' Answer: Not that they are aware; there is however a general Audi bulletin relating to brakes that affects ALL Audi cars but not one model specifically.

Q8) Have you heard of "a Bulletin to all dealers NOT to do any fixes ... any fixes after Nov 23rd will void any further warranty"? Answer: No!

My understanding of the message is clear:

(1) If you apply a secondary anti-squeal shim to your original brake pad then this will NOT affect your warranty, however

(2) If you change your original Audi/Brembo brake pad for 'alternative' ones, then that certainly WILL affect your warranty, period!

Last edited:

Of course, IF the application of my 'fix' to my car DID AFFECT its warranty then me, being a devious b#st#rd, would have a set of 'original' and non 'fix' applied brake pads in the calipers rather quickly... takes about 30-minutes to clean the calipers and swap over...

For the record, again: I first reported brake squeal to my Audi dealer on 3rd February 2012!

Their reaction being what it was, and you all know what it was, left me with no alternative, so on the 4th February 2012 I applied my first 'fix', just Copperslip. The Copperslip proved 100% effective until 6th December 2012 when I heard again a 'slight' squeal.

On the 7th December 2012 I applied my second 'fix', this was the application of Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shims and to date this has proved 100% effective.

Am still waiting for Audi to come up with something... anything...

I do hope Craig W. of Audi UK reads all of this, he did tell me that he does, and will advise otherwise if I'm wrong!

Last edited:
Monkeyboy has the temp fix not made any difference at all ?

Mine is still squeaking but is not as bad as it used to be

The temp fix has made a big difference to the frequency of occurrence and volume of the squeal but it is still there in optimal dry conditions. Fingers crossed for the official Audi fix by the end of the month...

are they starting you off again with those b****y breaks John ?:motz:
April 17th and counting.... it will probably be the same day that Audi UK announce an official 'fix', maybe?

Reactions: Vito
April 17th and counting.... it will probably be the same day that Audi UK announce an official 'fix', maybe?

If they make it the 14th we'll all meet an Audi garage and have a group brake change :footy:

Reactions: Kelza
Surely anyone who has purchased a new RS3 from a dealer would have a cause for returning the car due to 'mis selling' as clearly Audi know about this issue?

Add me to this list, brake squeal at 300 miles.

Thought I'd update everyone on my situation. I use the car in traffic regularly and complained to Audi customer services again last week. Told them it was unbearable and that I wanted a replacement car. They offered me an A5 or Q7. The Q7 V8 tankmobile arrived last Tuesday and I've been using it ever since, with my RS3 nicely trucked away from the snow in MY garage.

The V8 "gets down the road nicely" as Mike B says and I'm happy to drive that until the fix is ready.

David

So i finally admit that i have the squeal also, at 3800 miles.

Can someone advise, who or where do i call to register my complaint?

First instance the Audi dealer.

Then when they explain to you they are waiting for Audi UK to come up with a fix ring Audi customer services.

First instance the Audi dealer.

Then when they explain to you they are waiting for Audi UK to come up with a fix ring Audi customer services.

Maybe also hassle them on Facebook, the bad publicity and apparent lack of customer support tends to prompt a response, although this is basically "be patient, we're awaiting feedback from Germany..." Audi UK - hows... | Facebook

Just called uk customer service for the second time on this, as the noise is starting to take the **** especially with spring/summer approaching. The guy I spoke to pleaded total ignorance on the issue until I threatened to burn the car outside Audi West London and call all the car magazines. He then changed his tune and told me he knew of a small number of similar complaints. This made me even more angry so I told him it was more than a few, he tells me he has now escalated my complaint whatever that means.
Also has anyone else noticed excess wear on the front seats, I have the normal ones but after 4k miles it looks like an elephant has been sitting on the seats.

Just called uk customer service for the second time on this, as the noise is starting to take the **** especially with spring/summer approaching. The guy I spoke to pleaded total ignorance on the issue until I threatened to burn the car outside Audi West London and call all the car magazines. He then changed his tune and told me he knew of a small number of similar complaints. This made me even more angry so I told him it was more than a few, he tells me he has now escalated my complaint whatever that means.
Also has anyone else noticed excess wear on the front seats, I have the normal ones but after 4k miles it looks like an elephant has been sitting on the seats.

Lae,

Re seat wear, yes several of us have complained about this, although the ones I know have the bucket seats. Mine has gone back in several times for this and Audi say it's acceptable...erm not at £2.5K option it's bleeding not...:eiertritt:

As you have logged the brakes, tell them about the seat wear too...hopefuly they will start to take note....:jester:

I made the point about being told in Jan a fix would be out in first quarter he just didn't know what to say. I reported the seats and he told me to go to my nearest Audi center.. I am beginning to think the car should be based at my local audi center and I'll just use it at weekends!

Can you believe this is still ongoing...

Audi - What a complete shower of $hite....

lea203 - take pics and send to UK CS tell them its not acceptable, end of.

Its a complete joke, anyone would think we had bought a Kia for the service we are getting.

CarrG did you decided if you wanted to take your car with mine to the audi centre, looks like I've got to go back anyway now...

Just notified my local dealer will let you know their take on the situation with the trapped cat.

Its a complete joke, anyone would think we had bought a Kia for the service we are getting.

CarrG did you decided if you wanted to take your car with mine to the audi centre, looks like I've got to go back anyway now...

Difference is Kia actually give you an answer...

I would Mate but not sure where it would get me! Master Tech is on hols for two weeks.
Dealers have been advised not to touch brakes now so you need to get in the que young man..

Txt/email you tomorrow. :)

I'm going to ring up again to complain... I know it'll do no good but it might get me a free service at the very least!

Well no fix and the first quarter has nearly gone.....:uhm:

I know! Called up Audi UK this afternoon and was told it would be escalated and somebody would call back, today, for definite. Unsurprisingly, no call. Also put another post on Facebook (link above), for all the good it will do. I continue to be surprised/disappointed about how incredibly poor Audi's customer service is...

I spoke to audi uk today and mentioned the brake squeal issue, the guy said it was the second call he'd had about it today, and that we would have an announcement in the next 5 days, with a possible fix by around the 10th April???!
I guess none of us will be holding our breath...

I spoke to audi uk today and mentioned the brake squeal issue, the guy said it was the second call he'd had about it today, and that we would have an announcement in the next 5 days, with a possible fix by around the 10th April???!

I'll be calling on a daily basis now. Make it a feature of my day, along with hassling on Facebook. Others should do the same, bug the sh1t out of Audi UK until we get some resolution.

Are you sure he didn't say the 1st of April?

Would make more sense seeing as though this whole saga is a joke !