P0299 error code

mm707

Reaction score
Hi guys, where do i start to try to fix this ?
Limp mode and error code p 0299 turbo underboost.

2.0 tdi Brd engine

Many thanks

Hi guys, where do i start to try to fix this ?
Limp mode and error code p 0299 turbo underboost.

2.0 tdi Brd engine

Many thanks

Have a look here.

32ea2654a978cbac22073bfaeacc644a.jpg

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16683/P0299/000665

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mm707

On the turbo. A leaking diaphragm will cause underboost. Check by applying vacuum and see if it holds.

Reactions: mm707
mm707 - Is it you I've seen before posting about the vacuum unit on the inlet manifold and replacing that to resolve the flashing glow plug light?

I just did that fix and worked fine on mine. I the same error on my car as it went into limp mode before I did the fix.

mm707 - Is it you I've seen before posting about the vacuum unit on the inlet manifold and replacing that to resolve the flashing glow plug light?

I just did that fix and worked fine on mine. I the same error on my car as it went into limp mode before I did the fix.
That's interesting Dave. Yes i replaced the vac unit a few years back. Can't remember the code. I might clamp the hose on the vac unit and see how it goes. Thank you

Hi All
Got the same on my A4 Avant 2.0TDi Quattro, engine code BRD.
Limp would kick in when on motorway using cruise control when I hit a hill, as usual a ignition reset cleared the limp & a scan gave P0299 (i only have a simple scanner)

I checked the vac system...
Vac Pump; generating -28"Hg at tick over
Vac reservoir (in cam Cover); holding vac
Inlet manifold actuator; holding vac & moving freely with applied vac
Actuator on Turbo outlet to EGR cooler; holding vac & moving freely with applied vac
Turbo Vane Actuator; holding vac & moving freely with applied vac. Also hits the stop at about -18"Hg (is this the right value?)
Solenoid for Inlet actuator (1KO 906 283 A); holds vac with power off
Solenoid for EGR actuator (1KO 906 283 A); slowly leaks vac with power off
Solenoid for Turbo actuator (8E0 906 627 C); slowly leaks vac with power off
I inspected all the pipes & can't hear any hissing from the intercoolers so I don't think its a leak.

So I changed the two leaky solenoids...

Haven't been far yet but labouring the engine up some local hills didn't trigger it so I was thinking I'd cured it...

Then it happened again but this time when the engine was spinning hard in 3rd, altogether a more violent switch into limp mode.
Same deal with ignition reset & Code P0299.

I've now repeated all the above and all still OK except the new Turbo Solenoid also leaks slightly with power off: is this normal or is my new one duff?

I've read all the threads on this issue (I think!) and am wondering where to go next, any ideas gratefully received.

Also anyone in the Chesterfield area with the VCDS?

Cheers
Ian

Thanks, I’ll see if I can get that from my scanner, but it’ll be next week.

Hi
I just had a run up a hill & got these readings of intake absolute pressure during a full throttle pull.
At idle 97kPa
Peak in 2nd 210kPa
Peak in 3rd 235kPa
Peak in 4th 190kPa but it cut into limp mode at this point.
I make the boost figures as follows;
2nd 16psi
3rd 20psi
4th 13.5 psi (got p0299)
Since my earlier post I have also had both the EGR & intake manifold off & removed a lot of carbon from both, the “throttle” body was clean & looks newer.
I have also given it a dose of Redex fuel additive and it does now seem to run smoother & pull quite a bit harder, but still goes into limp...

I just checked and although the ign off/on cleared this limp mode as usual; I did not get the p0299 mentioned above, or any other code recorded for this limp mode.

I had the exact same problems last year with my 2.0 BRD.
I changed the diaphragm which was fine. EGR was coked in carbon as were the butterfly flaps. When I put her back together she ran better but still went into limp mode. Audi quoted me £2k and were convinced it was turbo. I changed the fuel filter and it looked like it had never been changed. She ran like a dream after that! :racer:

Hi Sarah, thanks for that, I’ve been starting to think this was a fuel issue and recently bought a full set of filters and oil for an early service. The history with the car says the fuel filter was changed about 20k ago (of which I’ve done about 12k) and I think the service interval says every 40k, but who’s to know it actually got done...