P0299 - Turbo Actuator - Limp Mode

spudgunblunder

Reaction score
Hi all,
My 2009 Audi A3 8P Sportback 2.0TDI is on about 114k. Only owned for a few months.
Coil light now flashes (intermittently) on the dash and goes into limp mode. This is usually when driving the on motorway but has come on when driving at around 50mph at moderate revs (0-2500rpm).
Stopping and turning ignition on and off resets it untill you get back up to speed or maybe a few miles down the road.

Code reading gives the following:
000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 - 000 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 7
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 183279 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.12.26
Time: 17:12:15

After a bit of research all fingers point toward a vacuum leak on the turbo actuator diaphragm.
(See Audi 2.0TDI actuator fix Fault code: P0299 under boost)
I tested the actuator by removing the rubber tube to the Charge Pressure Solenoid Valve (N75) and sucking the tube and it would not hold vacuum.

I then had a quick drive down the road and logged the boost pressure:
(After reading this: http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/34834-vnt-tdi-turbo-how-to-adjust-actuator-cure-boost-problems/)
LOG 01 011 xxx xxx

Seems the turbo is struggling due to the actuator not moving the vanes open to spin the turbo up quickly at low revs.
Am I on the right line?
How much to get it fixed at a) Audi garage b) Local garage?
What's the chances of getting it done on the Momentum warranty that came with the car (not holding my breath)?
Is it accurate enough to replace myself and setup using the original as a guide to setting the adjustment screw and fine tune by recording logs and tweeking the adjustment screw?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Spud

Last edited:
It's common, it can be a leak anywhere from the tandem pump through to the actuator itself. You need to check the actuator holds vac, that you have vac at the supply pipe, and then trace back towards pump.

Rick

Thanks for the reply Rick.
I checked the Vacuum on the actuator and it doesn't hold. Don't know if warranty will pay out as in the small print it say doesn't cover any "ancillary" equipment? Prob easier to just fix myself.
Anyone have a link/part no. for a new one?

Did you test the vacuum directly off of the actuator or off of the pipes coming off the n75? If you did it off the n75 pipes it's possible that it's a burst pipe, especially at 113k miles.
If not it's a new actuator unsure of the part number.

With most warrentys they will only pay out if the part is proven to be completely faulty and that takes a long time, see how much it is and then weigh the price up to whether it's worth waiting or not.

Thanks guys. Will see what warranty says. Least should be under warranty limit (£500).

Hi sorry to hijack your thread but I've got the same problem, only had mine a month and the dealer I got it off give me the runaround as well saying turbo parts not covered blah blah blah, anyway I found this on youtube so might be of help to others in the future

No worries. It was turbo actuator. Garage said they have to word their diagnostic correctly to say it failed rather than worn. Cost about £250 and then claim back off the warrenty.