P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger "A" Underboost Condition

Hello guys,

I have just experienced this whole thing with p0299. For me it was one morning starting the car and glow plug was blinking with limpmode. While driving the car casually it was slow below 3000rpm. Visited mechanic and they said its turbo, there was some move in the wastegate arm so I reckon the turbo was eventually gonna go bad.

Smoke tested the engine for leaks. Did not look for vacuum leaks which was stupid. But i had not this experience before so I didnt really know how important vaccum in the engine is.
Well as FaFa did, I changed the turbo, (Biturbo) Audi wanted 10k euro for a new one. Ended up buying one of ebay from Turbo-RS refurbished one with 12months warranty, for 750euro pretty cheap.

Installed it, but the problem was there. Exactly like before. At the end it was solved by help from reddit. Where a mechanic tipped me that there was an TPI for this particular car. and the issue is the membrane of the vaccum hose from the EGR clock, all I did was unplug it, and let the EGR pipe stay open. In the vaccum pipe i put a fat nail to make it seal. And voila the car is now running better then before.

So it was a "free sulotion" but ended up costing me 1300euro total. Not so bad, but still unnecessary to change the Turbo unit.. So If you have an audi, with this problem where you have boost but getting limpmode and no power below 3000rps its probably this vaccum problem and nothing else!

FaFa you got hustled, but ur post helped me so much and actually led me on the tracks of the EGR. So therefore i made an account just to make this post re live and maybe help others fix their problems at home!