P164B TFSI oil pressure low

ScottFree

Reaction score
Just picked up an RS3 but still have my A6 so thought you guys could add some input as it’s always been reliable info from the C7 board

I Have the P164B oil pressure switch fault code appear,engine limits itself to 4K RPM when it gets up to temperature of 91c and you give it some power,Tappets seem excessively noises and get louder under Higher RPM so I suspect it’s more than just sensor related?

so here’s my possible fix list,let me know your thoughts and advice.

.Clean/replace oil pickup strainer

.New oil pump

.Replace PCV Valve?

.new oil sensor

.oil & filter change

Surely changing all the above should eliminate the low pressure issue unless other components are creating this issue? Engine has 44k Miles and I believe it has ran Stage 1 APR tune for 30k Miles.

As the engine sounds noisy I would skip the sensor, so I would start with dropping the sump and checking the oil pickup. If that is clean then the oil pump will be second on my list. You are going to have to drop the oil so an oil & filter change will need to be done regardless.

I would also be taking the cam covers off and check for any damage to the top end. I would also be somewhat concerned about the turbo if it's had oil starvation!

Think about changing the oil every few thousand miles as well, as if there is any burnt or sludge in the remaining oil then it would flush it out over the next few changes. Then think about changing every 5K/10K miles long life servicing on these engine is total BS even more so if they have been remapped.

As the engine sounds noisy I would skip the sensor, so I would start with dropping the sump and checking the oil pickup. If that is clean then the oil pump will be second on my list. You are going to have to drop the oil so an oil & filter change will need to be done regardless.

I would also be taking the cam covers off and check for any damage to the top end. I would also be somewhat concerned about the turbo if it's had oil starvation!

Think about changing the oil every few thousand miles as well, as if there is any burnt or sludge in the remaining oil then it would flush it out over the next few changes. Then think about changing every 5K/10K miles long life servicing on these engine is total BS even more so if they have been remapped.
Thanks for your input,Dropping the sump as we speak,Definitely looks like someone has been there before (Messy sealant job) will see what i can find and Inspect the top end also.

The friend I brought it from has no mechanical intrest and usually drives stuff Until it breaks,very painful to watch but I get the occasional steal so it’s worth the effort.