Pads & Discs

arobson90

Reaction score
My 2012 A4 needs pads and discs all round. What's everyone's recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Zimmermann seems to be one of the best from my research.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Getting as bad as tyres..

Indeed, but good to hear opinions. :blink:

I'm in a similar position with my A4 Allroad. Got it through the MOT but I know they are due soon. I was looking at Brembo, but the more people I talk too, then I've been reminded it's been bought over as a brand and quality maybe isn't the same. I've fitted Brembo discs and pads before and not been disappointed, been a while though.

I'd fitted Zimmerman discs and Febi Bilstein pads to my old Amtrak locomotive and couldn't fault them, and that was a heavy car and was hard on brakes.

I thought about upgrading to performance discs and pads on my Allroad, but the OE vented discs (front) on the car feel good with no loss of braking efficiency. I changed the brake fluid earlier this year so that helps too.

Anyway, bought the right grease for the brake slider pins.

Attachments

• IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Indeed, but good to hear opinions. :blink:

I'm in a similar position with my A4 Allroad. Got it through the MOT but I know they are due soon. I was looking at Brembo, but the more people I talk too, then I've been reminded it's been bought over as a brand and quality maybe isn't the same. I've fitted Brembo discs and pads before and not been disappointed, been a while though.

I'd fitted Zimmerman discs and Febi Bilstein pads to my old Amtrak locomotive and couldn't fault them, and that was a heavy car and was hard on brakes.

I thought about upgrading to performance discs and pads on my Allroad, but the OE vented discs (front) on the car feel good with no loss of braking efficiency. I changed the brake fluid earlier this year so that helps too.

Anyway, bought the right grease for the brake slider pins.

Thanks for the response. I've been looking at Brembo too tbh, mainly because ECP have a sale on and I can get Brembo discs and pads all round for £286!

However in that sale Pagid / Mintex / Brembo / ATE / Bosch are pretty much an identical price, so the question is out of those manufacturers who is the best?

Thanks for the response. I've been looking at Brembo too tbh, mainly because ECP have a sale on and I can get Brembo discs and pads all round for £286!

However in that sale Pagid / Mintex / Brembo / ATE / Bosch are pretty much an identical price, so the question is out of those manufacturers who is the best?
I'd go with Bosch or ATE, how true it is or not I've read a few tales of the Brembo stuff ECP sell as being specially made for them and not as good quality.

Reactions: arobson90
I'm running a full set of Brembo discs and a pair up front on another since late last year so find that hard to believe .

Ordinary OE pads , haven't bought any in 20 years .

Low dust Ceramic .

I bought front brembo discs and pads off ECP a year ago for my S4. Kept rattling and clunking, changed them to bosch and have had no problem since.

I use pagid never have any issues and long lasting ....

Reactions: Retroman and arobson90
Bosch - I wouldn't touch. I've heard Bosch outsource the manufacturing to random factories and stick their stamp on. Used in the past and their discs rust badly. Pads are average.
Brembo - just make sure you get the UV disc coating. Pads can be a bit hit and miss....I've had issues on Honda's. Currently running a rear Brembo disc/pad set on the A6 and have been spot on so far. Quite a few fakes out there - so buy from a reputable source and check the QR code.
Pagid - worst discs I've used. Pagid aftersales were a disgrace. I can't be bothered with companies who fail to look after their customers.
MTEC - really good disc. Ran these on my old A4 with a set of Brembo pads. Found them to be an ideal combo.
ATE and TRW - never had any issues apart from rust. They produce discs/pads for Audi - so if you're looking for an OEM fitment and performance these are probably your best bet.

You mentioned Brembo - they are fine and have a nice gun metal hub coating to minimize rust for a couple of years. I believe it is always good practice to match pads and discs from the same manufacturer. You'll always get a shed load of personal opinions on this sort of question :smile new:

I'd go with Bosch or ATE, how true it is or not I've read a few tales of the Brembo stuff ECP sell as being specially made for them and not as good quality.

That is bad, is that not the same as happened with some Pagid branded stuff?

I'm not suggesting that you are misinformed by the way!

The power of the big buyer/importer I suppose, was it not them that bought the Lucas name up and rent it out to anyone that pays for that privilege?

It was just a post I read somewhere, but once you read something like that it generally sticks in the back of your mind and puts you off a bit even if it was a load of rubbish.

I've got some of the ECP Brembo pads in the front of mine at the moment and I'm not very impressed with them. I fitted new front discs/pads to my old B6 and the stopping power was pretty underwhelming which I put down to maybe older design brakes and old fluid. When I changed over to a B8 I found the brakes much sharper but since replacing the pads with the same type that I used before, the stopping force has become quite soft again. Won't be using them next time.

I've got some of the ECP Brembo pads in the front of mine at the moment and I'm not very impressed with them. I fitted new front discs/pads to my old B6 and the stopping power was pretty underwhelming which I put down to maybe older design brakes and old fluid. When I changed over to a B8 I found the brakes much sharper but since replacing the pads with the same type that I used before, the stopping force has become quite soft again. Won't be using them next time.
Thanks for the info. Going to give mtech discs a try. Haven't decided on the pads yet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk