Paint? Lacquer? Please help!

Mark-f

Reaction score
https://flic.kr/p/x6rZkc

So I washed the car yesterday, usual citrus prewash on as I'm killing many bugs, then blast off. There was a huge one which covered that area and it took a layer off, but I can't tell if it is down to the metal.

The car has full Audi history, and there aren't any chips in that area either.

Any help appreciated guys cheers

That is the clear coat lacquer coming off as you suspect.

A stone chip in that area usually starts the flaking. Pressure / jet washing the panel will usually result in the lacquer lifting when the water gets under the lacquer.

From my experience, paint panels that have been re sprayed and then suffer from a stone chip are more susceptible to this kind of thing.

It will need to be resprayed / smart repaired

Reactions: Mark-f
Cheers buddy, appreciate that. Although there's no stone chip in that area, I'll have to take it on the chin and get it painted

Cheers buddy, appreciate that. Although there's no stone chip in that area, I'll have to take it on the chin and get it painted

Do you know if the panel has been resprayed at some point?

If it's been repaired and the lacquer was only a thin coat then it won't be very robust.

Smart repair would sort it (make sure you go for someone who is recommended for their work).

Do you know if the panel has been resprayed at some point?

If it's been repaired and the lacquer was only a thin coat then it won't be very robust.

Smart repair would sort it (make sure you go for someone who is recommended for their work).

I've absolutely no idea. I'm kind of resigned to the idea that it has been at some point.

I'll get in touch with a local body shop and get a quote

You could try wet sanding the area back and lacquer over the top. If it doesn't look great you would be getting it repaired anyway.