Pan Sunroof Rattle

RDSCO3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve had my S3 about 4 weeks now, and have noticed a bit of a rattle coming from the pan sunroof. I wondered if anyone else has experienced something similar?

I can’t hear it at all when it’s closed, only when it’s open. And only when going over bumps or rough road. It sounds almost like there’s a loose piece of plastic somewhere in the mechanism rattling about.

Has anyone had anything similar? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I’ve had my S3 about 4 weeks now, and have noticed a bit of a rattle coming from the pan sunroof. I wondered if anyone else has experienced something similar?

I can’t hear it at all when it’s closed, only when it’s open. And only when going over bumps or rough road. It sounds almost like there’s a loose piece of plastic somewhere in the mechanism rattling about.

Mine makes no noise at all. Just the noise of the wind.

Hi guys,

Pretty much standard on Pano roofs from what my friend who is a Mastertech tells me

It will need to go back - Probably one of the plastic clips has broken - Not a quick fix usually as I understand it though

Hi guys,

Had a pan roof for 18 months in my a3 no problems at all

Thanks everyone, sounds like I need to get it booked into Audi.

Thanks everyone, sounds like I need to get it booked into Audi.

How did you go with this ?, mine has been in and out of the dealers with a sunroof rattle, they are going to replace the frame and sliding mechanism.

How did you go with this ?, mine has been in and out of the dealers with a sunroof rattle, they are going to replace the frame and sliding mechanism.

Sorry for the late reply. I had the whole frame and mechanism replaced under warranty.

Apparently, one of the bolts securing the frame to the body was stripped, and it was a loose washer rattling around but only when the sunroof was open. They asked if I’d had any work done to the car as they had never seen anything like it, but it was a brand new car. It was rattling from day one.

Since it’s been done, I’ve not had any other issues at all.

Excellent. thank you. Hopefully that will sort my issue. booked in for the week after next.

Excellent. thank you. Hopefully that will sort my issue. booked in for the week after next.
I have a pan roof on my 2023 black edition, luckily no issues with it, but my previous car was a BMW 118 m sport with a pan roof fitted, this car was brand new and as I drove it out the showroom the roof had a noise coming from it, cut a long story short they replaced the rails and frame under warranty and solved the problem, they gave me the invoice for some reason, and it totalled just under £3000! , good job it was a warranty job.

Been happening for years on Pan Roofs - My mate whose a Mastertech had one on a Q5 many years ago and it was a 50p circlip that needed replacing

Had to take so much apart to get at it - Luckily that was a warranty job

I've never ordered one as don't really like them anyway but it seems that pretty much all of them end up rattling at some point.