Parking brake malfunction

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
Just had this come up on the display, was sittin in the car with the handbrake on and the ignition, been sittin like that for the past 5mins charging my phone.

The red light on the button was flashing. I took the handbrake on and off again and it seemed fine

Hope this isn't the sign of things to come

Had a quick search online Aarom and found the following:

Audi A4 B8 parking brake warning light (RED) - the warning lamp lights up when the parking brake is applied with the ignition on. After the ignition has been switched off the lamp will stay on for about 30 seconds. The warning lamp will light up for about 30 seconds if the parking brake is applied with the ignition switched off.

The warning lamp should go out when the parking brake is released. If the warning lamp flashes continuously after the parking brake has been applied, the brake may not be strong enough to hold the vehicle on a slope. This may be due to the brakes overheating.

Please note the following points:

• If the gradient is too steep to park the vehicle safely, the display will show the message Caution: Vehicle parked too steep.

• In the event of a fault in the parking brake system the symbol will also appear in the instrument cluster display together with the message Parking brake! You should have the fault corrected by a qualified workshop without delay.

I will give the car a scan for you if you want mate!

How old is your battery? Do you have problems starting the vehicle at all?

No problems starting the car at all and no problems with the handbrake, yeah I still need you to help me with the fuel filter so if you can check it that would be great, cheers bud

I've had this happen on mine a couple of times.
The rear calipers would go in and out a couple of times.
The brake would hold the car.

I'd turn it all off, on again and its fine.

Only fault code I had was warning of low rear pads (They have sub 10% of use out of them).

Its been fine for the last 2 months.

If there is no fault codes and it works after a restarting the car, I personally would not worry to much.

The electronic parking brake modules are very sensitive to low voltages and can even be damaged in some situations if operated with the engine turned off and no battery charger connected. There is a video on VCDS website about it.

It could be a sign of a battery on its way out if its the original battery. But yeah I'd get it scanned with VCDS and see what the DTC is..

Last edited:
Only fault code I had was warning of low rear pads (They have sub 10% of use out of them).

Did you fit the pads yourself?

There is a procedure to follow with VCDS when replacing pads if the caliper has an EPB. You have to put the parking brake into a service mode which completely withdraws the piston. You then change the pads and then programme the parking brake back to normal operation. Many garages don't bother to follow it and instead just try to lever the brake pads apart which can cause problems.

The pads was changed before I bought the car, along with new rear calipers.

I will reset the rear callipers to say I got new pads in and see what happens.
It works and the odd fault code in VCDS is not an issue at the moment.

Reactions: Broken Byzan