Parking charge

waring192

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Stopped in a Knutsford Services abit too long and there ANPR camera picked up on the fact.

Received a letter from some parking company wanting £50 or more if I dont pay asap. Had a quick google and it turns out they legally cannot charge me as its a company and not the council etc

Very angry as I went in and bought stuff from there shop so I am a customer then had work done on my car.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Jesus, never heard of that before.

Fight it mate, they will soon back down if you cause alot of fuss, i think the majority of the time they try these things to see what they can get away with.

Last edited:
Thought about it but most say not to contact them? Will do some more digging...

Yeh, we had it at an Outlet Village and got the same ticket. Ignore it! DONT write to them at all. They may write once, but ignore and they wont come back. They cannot as its not either council or Police!!! Just dont park there again soon as they may keep a look out and clamp you!

Heard it lots of times at Knutsford!

Only the police and the council can issue 'fines.' What you have is an invoice for parking for too long.
They don't stand a chance of ever being able to enforce this is a court of law, as they would have to prove that you knowingly entered into a contract with them in the first place and then they would have to prove any losses incurred as a result of your naughty parking antics!
Just ignore it as making contact with them acknowledges that you were driving the car or have knowledge of who was driving the car. Let’s face it they don’t have the right to ask who was behind the wheel at the time....

It really annoys me that the DVLA are willing to sell our details to these private companies! The way they operate is disgusting and I can imagine they do make a fair bit of money out of the unsuspecting folk amongst us
:mad:

I once got a similar thing from a BP garage up at gatwick, stopped there bought something to eat, ate it in the car and then pumped up the tyres a bit and checked the oil. was only there 20 minutes and it was £75 if I paid now and then £150 14 days later or something. I was up there on company business so the company paid for it but later found out I could have just tolded them to shove it

Had this last week in McDonalds...

I forgot my house keys so had to wait for my gf to finish work so I went to McD's for my tea. Stayed for 1hr 45 (max stay was 1 hr) and received £50 notice from a private firm.

I went to McDonalds and fought it, they checked CCTV to make sure I actually got some food there and then revoked it...

Yep, the thing with McDonalds has been on Watchdog the past couple of weeks. As holderd said, you can just ignore it and that was their recommendation. They just make it sound threatening and hope that people get scared and pay up.

Here is the link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/04/mcdonalds_parking.html

As mentioned, if it ever went to court (which it never would do as the company would know they would lose) the onus would be on the firm issuing the fine to prove that you were aware of the contract that you were entering into by parking where you did. This has never been successfully proven in case law, hence the reason why they won't risk taking you to court.

Rest easy and ignore it.

This happened to me 6 months ago. As already said DON'T respond to any letters.

After 5 incresingly threatening letters they gave up. Parking Company, then debt collector and finally from a solicitor. I did notice that they all traded from the same address though..........!

Keep any letters you receive for your own records and don't worry about it. (my opinion anyway)

This happened to me too, just ignore the letters and you'll probably get quite a few, on the FINAL demand to pay up, write back saying that you are the owner of the car and that there has been no mention of the driver in any of the letters addressed to you etc. Tell them to stop writing to you as it is harrasment under an act in the law (can't remember details)

Tell them to shove a stick up their bum. I got clamped at my flat parking because my permit fell on the floor behind a water bottle that was on the floor to. Had to pay £45 to get it off! Im in the process of getting it back though!