Facelift Parking distance sensor faults

DrMal

Reaction score
I've got parking assistance plus on our FL S3 and it looks like I've got an ultrasonic sensor fault. On deceleration towards stop, the system kicks in, giving me an audible warning and the graphic appears showing a red proximity warning segment for one of the front nearside sensors. This happens *every time* I slow down.

Does that sound like the normal failure mode for a sensor? Given it's under warranty and it doesn't affect drivability, I can live with it until Edinburgh Audi can offer me an appointment (25 May!!!). That said, if there's any chance it's something simple like a faulty connection, I'll delve around. Is there one loom from the front sensors to the relevant module? Where is it mounted? Anyone know if this is a common fault? There's no visible sign of damage to the sensor.

That's strange, seems like it's more of a loose connection than anything because it shouldn't be picking anything up if nowhere near anything? Strange.

So, it wasn't anything electrical (which, being an electronic/systems/software engineer was my only thought). The front numberplate had been fixed on by the dealer with double sided foam tape. I'd not noticed it, but the left-hand side had lifted by about 5mm, just enough to bring the edge of the plate into the field of view of the sensor.