Parts retrofit/swap from donor car

AP123

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a 2009 B8 2.0TDI which I enjoy driving, and love the fuel economy.. it's not very well specc'd however (by AU standards anyway), but today I have just picked up wholesale another 09 B8, this one is 2.0T Quattro with some nice gear (however mechanically poor)

I'm going to sell the 2.0T cheap for spares or repairs essentially, but I wanted to upspec my A4 a bit if I can...I've seen a few guides online about puddle lights/door lights etc, so will probably move those over, the other things I am keen to swap are:

Headlights (I've got halogen so upgrade to Xenon's
Sports Seats
Vent Lights/Glovebox Light
Bluetooth
Auto Dimming mirror (The donor car has auto high beam as well, but I understand to swap that I would need to have CP removed from the module so that would rule that out)

And some various other trim that is straight forward... so without further ado, my questions are:

Headlights - Can I swap these relatively easily given I have all the parts I require to get them going (I would like to avoid swapping the bumper so could forgo the washing function, I don't think this is mandated in AU), and will the donor car take the halogens without too much drama?

Sports Seats - hoping this is straight forward, but some guides mention there can be issues - I already have an electric drivers seat so I'm hoping it's plug and play (Neither car has memory seats)

Vent Lights - are the cars prewired to the vent (ie can I plug them in somewhere?)

Bluetooth - Getting to the module is easy, is it easy enough to get the harness out or should I just buy a new one (I understand there is no CP on the CANBUS system that both cars have)

Auto Dimming Mirror - Will this cause no end of warnings on the donor car? (Whilst the donor car has some issues, I don't want to sell it looking like the dashboard is celebrating Xmas)

I can't think of anything else the car has that is worth swapping, but open to ideas!

Cheers :)

Getting CP removed is not such a big thing, especially as you will officially be the reg'd owner of both cars.

Swopping to HID and Auto Dipping (and probably Rain sensing wipers) must both involve some big module and wiring harness swopping as well as the actual lights and mirror assembly.

Edit:- and if you are not planning on swopping wiring harnesses, then both wiring harness will need modifying as well as maybe even some of the fuseboxes/distribution systems - and recoding of modules left behind in both cars.

Thanks for the reply - I already have rain sensing wipers/dusk sensing headlights if that makes anything easier

I'd prefer not go down the harness swap path or even major modification path just because of the timeframe needed to remove & refit, I have somewhat of a deadline to get the other A4 out of the way

how are you
Getting CP removed is not such a big thing, especially as you will officially be the reg'd owner of both cars.

Swopping to HID and Auto Dipping (and probably Rain sensing wipers) must both involve some big module and wiring harness swopping as well as the actual lights and mirror assembly.

Edit:- and if you are not planning on swopping wiring harnesses, then both wiring harness will need modifying as well as maybe even some of the fuseboxes/distribution systems - and recoding of modules left behind in both cars

I've been thinking about this overnight, and the only thing the 2.0T doesn't have that I would like is the hill hold, is this a hard swap? Wondering if it's worth pumping some money into fixing the petrol A4 and moving the diesel on... The 2.0T has a fairly significant oil leak however, but half the k's of my diesel

From memory, to get or enable Hill Hold, the ABS assembly must have ESP stamped onto its valve body, after that it should just be down to changing the coding as everything is already in place.

Obviously there are a couple of ABS controller part numbers, one for no ESP and one for ESP, so scanning the controller will let you know right away.

I seem to remember that was is or was a website that lists quite a few options and what was possible to achieve some of these things inc only coding or retro fitting and coding. All I enabled on my S4 was TPMS I think.

I've been thinking about this overnight, and the only thing the 2.0T doesn't have that I would like is the hill hold
There is 2 different ABS modules to find out which one you have fitted have a look at the build sticker by the spare wheel. It'll either be 1AS or 1AT. If it has 1AT fitted hill hold and tyre pressure monitoring can be enabled. If you have 1AS then it cant be done without replacing the module.

Actually on reflection, I can live without hill hold as such (and my black A4 has the 1AS module) - I was under the impression that cruise control braking functionality was part of that system, but a quick google reveals it may be standard?

I had all but decided to keep the silver one and have already done the seat swap... but the more I think about it, the more I would rather the quattro, so now it's time to start getting some quotes

So far I know the RMS is gone, and the PCV needs replacing... hoping the vacum leak is the cause of the shuddering at slow speed take off, if not then it will be a gearbox issue.. I think if its just the rear seal & pcv I'll go ahead with a repair

On another note, the only other thing missing that I do really find handy is the heated mirrors, is this a hard swap? I presume mirror caps can be removed to keep the colour right?

I thought heated mirrors was a standard feature in all cars? Are the 2 wires there behind the glass?