PCV delete S3 8L BAM clarification needed please.

whizz371

Reaction score
I have just read Westy's excellent post on this. Having bought the car recently I have inherited whats looks like to me a partial PCV delete. all of the pipes and bits have been removed and the oil breather pipes are in the right places. There is a sealed can with inlet and outlet and drain screw that I am assuming is a separator on the bulk head , the outlet pipe goes to an original valve which I think is referred to as a hockey puck. The outlet of the hockey puck is still connected to the 80 mm Tip. This to me seems to defeat the object of the delete. I would assume that the the can is vented and do away with the hockey puck and blank off the open inlet pipe on the hockey puck. What catch can are people using? would need to be 1 lt to comply with regs. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Sounds to me like it’s been setup up correctly. You can’t do a full “delete” of the PCV system, because it’s required to be recirculated back into the TIP. You can run it to atmosphere, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I’m contemplating on putting mine back into my TIP and my car isn’t running on a standard ECU or MAF. The catch can your describing is exactly that, catch’s oil water smeg rather than it going back in through the intake system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks, so Presumably I can just replace the can which is quite small with a 1 liter. and Not have a vent on it ? The pic is the one that's PXL 20220429 152323361PORTRAIT fitted.

1 litre catch can would only mean you would drain it less often. I wouldn’t necessarily change that one. However make sure that the top hose is going to the hockey puck that’s the outlet side.

I am using the car for hillclimbs and sprints in production class, and regs require 1 Lt. That's the only reason. I will check the hoses, I have a feeling the bottom hose goes to the hockey puck / Tip. Thanks for taking the trouble to answer my post.

Ah I see, fair enough. Look forward to seeing some progress, I’m assuming you’ll be stripping the car out etc?

Cheers wont be stripping it out , as in production class , which means I can still drive it on the road. you can do some mods but limited.

Please dont think I am questioning your help. Just trying to understand why its not a good idea to vent to atmosphere rather than to the TIP. I have to admit my only experience with forced induction goes back to Shorrock superchargers, very basic. So this is a whole new world for me. If you have deleted all PVC kit except the hockey puck, my immediate thought is to get rid of it, and not put dirty hot breather fumes back into the inlet side ? Perhaps you or someone could explain to me why its not a good idea.

It’s only a bad idea in the sense that the air is calculated by the MAF sensor, so venting to atmosphere would give very slight miss calculations to what the car is expecting. Plenty of people do vent to atmosphere though, the only other thing is some people are concerned about the fumes that are venting into the car when driving.

I vent to atmosphere but then my car is from standard now and is MAFless, I have considered venting back into my TIP, this would be an attempt to minimise the fuel smell of my car in the garage, however I don’t think that’ll make any difference at all. The other reason I vent to atmosphere is because I don’t want my turbo comp wheel being caked in oil, there is also research to suggest that the oil vapour can reduce octane when being burnt off, this is pretty marginal though.

Reactions: hydro s3