Pcv help

Ginge247

Reaction score
Anyone with a pre 2012 s4 updated their pcv with part number 06E103547AC and not had the software update? I just want to make sure the car will run ok. Thanks

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

I had my pcv done last year by an indie. I then had Audi do the software update. All they change is the oil pressure .
You'll be fine .

Reactions: Ginge247
I am interested in this too.
There is a repair kit for the PCV 06E103772G and also a restrictor 06E103271B to reduce pressure on the valve.
That's why there is an update to the ECU software.
If you fit the kit, but do not fit the restrictor, then the update will not be necessary.
What would happen otherwise, I would like to know.
The latest PCV complete comes with the restrictor fitted.
My plan was to get the repair kit (new diaphragm + spring) also saves money!
However this would mean using your old plastic housing which has been known to split/leak.

Last edited:
I don't know the part number . But I might be able to track it down.
AFAIK you cannot buy the diaphragm and spring on it's own , you have to buy the whole pcv.

The part number of the part I had fitted is U06E103547Q.
I'm still having trouble with oil consumption . I've just given it a thorough flush out with Forte engine flush . Then if that didn't work I was going to tackle the valve stem oil seals, but my local mechanic said that it's more than likely to be the piston rings sticking .
Been doing a bit of research and it seems that lots of short trips of steady driving on low revs helps the carbon to build up on the pistons causing the rings to stick.
I've been driving in manual mode this weekend leaving it in first and second for long periods at 6500 revs and I've noticed a difference already .
I'm hoping I've turned the corner with this problem.

The part number of the part I had fitted is U06E103547Q.
I'm still having trouble with oil consumption . I've just given it a thorough flush out with Forte engine flush . Then if that didn't work I was going to tackle the valve stem oil seals, but my local mechanic said that it's more than likely to be the piston rings sticking .
Been doing a bit of research and it seems that lots of short trips of steady driving on low revs helps the carbon to build up on the pistons causing the rings to stick.
I've been driving in manual mode this weekend leaving it in first and second for long periods at 6500 revs and I've noticed a difference already .
I'm hoping I've turned the corner with this problem.
That part number is a previous version of the one I quoted so I'm on the right track. Mines a manual and tbh I drive it hard all the time, I was putting that down to not helping with the oil consumption as well but maybe not. I hope you are sorted now with yours m8, I have heard on rare occasions that the piston rings are Donald ducked, I'll do a compression test as well just make sure either way

It seems that the revised PCV Valve will alter the crankcase vacuum/pressure levels and it could throw a code without the reflash.

It seems that the revised PCV Valve will alter the crankcase vacuum/pressure levels and it could throw a code without the reflash.
I'm on a stage 1 map so I don't want to go to Audi. I'm hoping if I don't fit the restrictor it will be ok.

I'm on a stage 1 map so I don't want to go to Audi. I'm hoping if I don't fit the restrictor it will be ok.
Same here, but luckily I don't have a problem with oil consumption.
I was thinking of replacing Water-Pump/Thermostat/PCV/Hard Coolant Pipe/Crank-Pulley all in one hit as preventative maintenance.

Same here, but luckily I don't have a problem with oil consumption.
I was thinking of replacing Water-Pump/Thermostat/PCV/Hard Coolant Pipe/Crank-Pulley all in one hit as preventative maintenance.
I was hoping the oil consumption wouldn't get any worse until I sold the car but it has. I've already changed the crank pulley and water pump plus the belts, idlers and tensioners so I really didn't want to take it to bits again, never mind

It could be your oil rings on the pistons carbonising up .
I'm going to soak the top of mine with Marvel Mystery Oil over night . If that doesn't work then they will get soaked in 50%acetone and kerosene . I've some decent results removing carbon build up .

It could be your oil rings on the pistons carbonising up .
I'm going to soak the top of mine with Marvel Mystery Oil over night . If that doesn't work then they will get soaked in 50%acetone and kerosene . I've some decent results removing carbon build up .
I never heard of an issue with carbonised rings m8, what's the crack with that and where have you seen this?

I never heard of an issue with carbonised rings m8, what's the crack with that and where have you seen this?

Just reading it on the net. Carbon builds up on the piston tops if the engine doesn't get decent runs . That plus sludge from the oil if it isn't flushed out regularly on oil change . You end up with blow by which puts more pressure on the pcv causing it to push oil through the intake . That's my understanding of it and I will persevere until I've cracked it .

Last edited:
My local mechanic also said he would sell me some extra strong flush , can't remember the name of it . Apparently it's only sold to the trade. He also added that if that didn't work the last resort was neat diesel instead of oil and run the engine without touching the throttle .:scared2:

Just to let you know that I've started soaking my pistons in MMO to see if I can get any results .
Took a picture of the piston top. They are black and I mean really black .
180216 161351

I have also noticed that my plugs are looking healthier than before. It might be the flush or the higher revs it's been getting .
Form this
Resized 20180205 112335 4380

To this.
20180216 160317

Just to let you know that I've started soaking my pistons in MMO to see if I can get any results .
Took a picture of the piston top. They are black and I mean really black .View attachment 148716
I have also noticed that my plugs are looking healthier than before. It might be the flush or the higher revs it's been getting .
Form this View attachment 148717
To this.View attachment 148718
That is bad mind. My plugs where fine when I changed them last year. I've got a camera so I'll have a look at the pistons. How are you soaking your pistons and what with? Just through the spark plug holes?

That is bad mind. My plugs where fine when I changed them last year. I've got a camera so I'll have a look at the pistons. How are you soaking your pistons and what with? Just through the spark plug holes?
Yup. I've poured 150ml of MMO down the plug holes . If I don't see much of a difference I'll try acetone and kerosene next. But I will have to drain the oil first .

Managed to drain MMO out this morning and do another compression test. I'd purchased an oil extraction pump from Lidl last Sunday specifically for this job. I Used the full bottle of MMO and I pumped it back in to the empty bottle to see if any had soaked through. I got less than half back. Some may have run down the exhaust valves if any where open .
One of the cylinders didn't have any left in at all.
Before I fitted the new plugs I did the compression test . The test I did last year gave me 135 to 140 psi across all cylinders . Today's test varied from 160 on 2 cylinders . 175 on 3 cylinders and 205 on one cylinder .
So there's been a definite improvement.
My local mechanic still thinks that I ought to flush it with diesel. I think I will try the acetone and kerosene next .
It gave a good smoke show when I started it up.

That is a variation on the compression test. Did u put the camera back in?

Yes . But it was much the same all be it wet. Friendly mechanic says it should burn off when all is sorted . He says it's from burning all the oil .
All I'm interested in is freeing the rings.

Wright. I decided to drop the oil and refill with diesel.
I had ticking over for 5 minutes with my fingers glued to the ignition key ready for the smallest of noise change. But it just ticked smoothly.
When I dropped the diesel is was really black . Put the oil back in and went for a drive .
The only difference that I have noticed is on initial pickup off the line . Before OBD Fusion registered 6.2 to 60mph. Now its 5.9.
Also the compression has stabilized at 155 psi across all cylinders . Previous measurements must've been wrong.

Reactions: Ginge247
Wright. I decided to drop the oil and refill with diesel.
I had ticking over for 5 minutes with my fingers glued to the ignition key ready for the smallest of noise change. But it just ticked smoothly.
When I dropped the diesel is was really black . Put the oil back in and went for a drive .
The only difference that I have noticed is on initial pickup off the line . Before OBD Fusion registered 6.2 to 60mph. Now its 5.9.
Also the compression has stabilized at 155 psi across all cylinders . Previous measurements must've been wrong.
I don't think I could have done that, I'm not as brave haha. I'm still under 3 foot of snow atm so I hope get a look at mine soon