PCV System Question........

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Just want some advice really guys.

The pcv set-up, it runs from the oil filter housing, up to the rocker cover, then from their into the hockey puck and into the TIP, yeah!

What i want to know is, can you do away with the setup running into the tip?

I've already got a oil catch can fitted where it runs from the rocker cover etc into the can, then into the TIP, could i just run the feed from the oil filter housing to the catch can and the feed from the rocker cover to the catch can?

Does the TIP connection need tobe in place to suck excess gases away from the rocker cover etc?

Any help greatly appreciated :).

Dan

Hi mate yeah it does need to go to the tip the purpose of the catch can is to stop the oil getting into the tip and so on so if you could block the tip connection the catch can would serve no purpose. So yeah its there to suck the gases out of the crankcase. Someone else might be able to explain better as i dont do technical lol.

As above, (that's my understanding and the limits of my understanding too...), if you decide to vent it to air, be prepared for the smell that will eminate from it - nasty :noway:.

I certainly wouldn't want to drive myself or my family around breathing them fumes.

Go for the closed system, it works well and doesn't smell....

it doesnt need to go to the tip, the breathers are there to stop excessive pressure building up which can go to atmosphere like alot of tuned cars but can cause a smell of oil inside the car which for a daily driver isnt good

I aint venting to the air, smell is too much for in the cabin and a daily driver.

From what ive researched, the tip connection needs tobe in place end of lol, ohh well.

I know you wont be venting to atmosphere but im sure on these you cant do that anyway as the engine management doesn't like it as unmetered air will be entering the system as you probably know you cant use bov/chav valves on these engines for the same reason. Just thought id clear that up.

The PVC is to stop the build up of pressure in the crankcase due to the blow by gasses.

However, i thought that in the old days this gas used to be vented to the atmosphere however emissions regulations have said that these need to be caught. Im not sure that your oil catch can alone will meet this regulation. I thought you needed to recirculate that air back in so that the gasses pass through the CAT? i.e. keep the TIP connection

I may be wrong

Last edited: