PCV system - wtf?

ZAS

Reaction score
Hi All,

So, have had my S for almost 12 years now, and I'm starting to work on the issues which have started springing up now that the car has clocked some proper mileage. First up was the turbo, the shaft of which was proper shagged after 240k-odd kms, and now I'm starting to pay attention to all the dodgy piping.

Since I've had the new turbo, I've noticed that air is ******* out of one of the pipes; it flows into a flat pancake thing, which is connected to the inlet manifold, and once I'd taken it off I noticed that the pipe was clogged with oil, apart from being soft and full of holes.

After cutting it up, this is what I found:

Now, my question is this - is my engine proper shagged if this is happening, and what should I do to take care of it? I've been reading the forum and noticed that catch-cans are pretty popular, but I'm wondering if it's maybe too late for one? The pancake goodie (whatever it does...) is also full of residue, so can I just clean it out and re-use it while I sort out a silicone alternative?

Ta,
JB

Last edited:
Hi if your engine is not nackerd the idea is the oil spray from the rocker cover is burnt off in the inlet, i would renew the pipeing and clean the capsule out, then that will solve the leak and help the breather flow, for a 12 year old car its not that bad.

No no no la fleur! It's ok mine was like this, £24 for new pcv valve ( mushroom, hockey puck, pancake thing) , 19mm id silicone hose from tip to mushroom was £4 plus jubilees are £1.20. Job done . Try tps or Audi for puck pcv valve and try race spec performance in Sheffield for silicone, he sorted mine last week. Took 20 mins to fit properly. I'm in the middle of changing my whole pcv pipework and vacuum setup to forge or similar silicone as mine keep blowing...... Blown another today!

Pcv valves fail after 8 years Audi told me apparently and they've changed the valve same part number off top but last letter is a D not and A ...... That's because theyve improved it they say.

Cheers, Sean

the oe pcv system is pointlessly complex on the underside of the manifold and to the rocker and tip.

my advise would be to find the time to take it all out in one if you can, lay it out and work out what you'd need to simplify it.
thats my advise for NOT fitting the catch can.
fitting a catch can is even easier, there are some threads on this already.

your car will certainly run much better when youve done it after those crappy pipes!

Hey guys,

Awesome, thanks for the pointers, I thought this may have pointed to my engine being ******...

I'm going to go sort out the OEM part and a new N75 just so I can keep her on the road, missing the old bird already, and then I'll hunt around for the proper hoses.

Luckily this is an easy enough job for a noob like me, just need to keep my head together and remember where everything goes when I slap it all together.

Next job is the Big Badger 5 - but I'm in Souff Africa, so it might be a mission to get it down... :(

This forum is awesome, learnt so much just from watching the build threads, I almost feel like I can tackle all the big jobs just sitting here in my living room! Baby steps...

JB