Pd engine

harley141213

Reaction score
Hi. Still actively looking for a nice b6 and now even considering a diesel. I keep seeing cars advertised as pd130 which i think are a 1.9 ltr?
What is the relevence of the “pd” ?
Ive also read somewhere that they use a special engine oil?
Some of these engines seem to go forever by comparison to the b7 2ltr diesel,
Can someone enlighten me on the “pd” element and additionally give any tips on the b7 diesel range, anything to avoid. Last thing i want is to buy a car thats got an engine time bomb as i wouldnt be able to afford the repair bill.

Thanks

Don’t ask me all the technical BS but all I can say from experience is the 130 pd is bomb proof and know to be so, you won’t go far wrong with a well maintained one.

Reactions: DieselJake
As above PD 130 is a great engine. The B7 2.0 TDI that succeeded it suffered from failing oil pumps, which led to catastrophic engine failure. I'd personally steer clear of a B7 2.0 TDI.
Sold my A4 B6 130 Avant sport last June with 238k on it, didn't use any fluids at all between 9K services with genuine VAG parts/fluids.:thumbs up:

Hi. Still actively looking for a nice b6 and now even considering a diesel. I keep seeing cars advertised as pd130 which i think are a 1.9 ltr?
What is the relevence of the “pd” ?
Ive also read somewhere that they use a special engine oil?
Some of these engines seem to go forever by comparison to the b7 2ltr diesel,
Can someone enlighten me on the “pd” element and additionally give any tips on the b7 diesel range, anything to avoid. Last thing i want is to buy a car thats got an engine time bomb as i wouldnt be able to afford the repair bill.

Thanks

What are you actually looking for? There are plenty of B6’s out there and you have to accept they will mostly have big numbers on the clock, but as said ,mileage is a number,it’s the maintenance history that counts..My B6 for instance has done 196k now but it has oil changes every 8k, using genuine filters. Although my service history is mainly independent we have a share in the business and I’m normally up there when anything is done to it to lend a hand.The car has had all the suspension arms replaced with Meley HD ones and shocks and springs with genuine,it’s had clutch and flywheel,rear wheel bearings and although it’s not failed I’m about to change the turbo and do the cat removal then I will have it remapped, I don’t use my B6 that much now as I bought a A class Merc about 18 months ago now and we tend to use that when we go out. I guess what I’m trying to say is the Pd 130 is a good all round reliable engine and should be good for many many miles, oh and it goes without saying the B6 is a far better looking car than the B7’ especially the Avant.

I just sold my b6, the pd130 engine was bullet proof, it had 199,540 on the clock, original clutch and turbo. Only issues I had was with the suspension arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thonk im going to stick to my original plan and go b6. Nothing against b7 owners, but imo the only decent look to them is the front grill. I much prefer the shape of b6.
I suppose the niggle for me is that most people are hard wired to the concept of having to have newer when swapping their car. Its the s line 190 quattto i really want but they seem to command a premium. Look at the purchase cost of one and i could buy a fair bit newer b7, that said same money im in 09/10 insignia territory. Ultimately its what im happy with, no point buying something i dont like. I suppose the purpose of my b7 question was to convince me to go b6

Reactions: mattyboyc
What you ideally want is a b7 with a b6 engine or go crazy like me and end up converting the front :playful:

You can always go for the Seat Exeo as its pretty much the same car except has the common rail engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pd doesn't use a special oil, just one that meets a minimum 505.01 or you can use 504.00 / 507.00 oil which is the spec most people use these days . I used to use quantum long life in my Passat PD130.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-PASSAT...0-LONG-LIFE-ENGINE-MOTOR-OIL-5L/132323819519?

PD refers to the injectors "Pump Deuse" https://www.myarchive.us/richc/VW_TDI_with_PumpeDuse.pdf .
They are very reliable engines if they are looked after and you use the correct oil changed at reasonable intervals. Plenty of Taxi's driving around with several hundred thousand miles on the clock. With a remap and and tweaking the perform quite well too.
Me in my PD130 Passat at Santa Pod. Fastest it ran was a 14.9 at 93mph . Beat the S2000 on this run :) .

Reactions: mattyboyc