PDC and Reverse Camera decisions!

zit501

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So my 2006 A6 Avant doesn't have PDC or reverse camera, which is a pity since my previous 2004 B6 Avant at least had PDC as standard!
I have MMI 2G high.

So I'd like to install either PDC or a reverse camera. But to help me decide which route to follow, can anyone answer the following questions?

1) To install the OEM reverse camera system, do I have to have PDC already? I see in all the camear retrofits, people coding the PDC module after the install.

2) Say I decide to install PDC, and for now I just want rear PDC, can I install one of the 8 sensor capable PDC modules or will it throw an error if it doesn't see the front sensors? Or is an 8 sensor capable PDC module just codeable to be a 4 sensor module until I'm ready to install the front 4 sensors (if ever).

3) I've seen these aftermarket MMI 2G reverse camera modules, which simply intercept the video feed between the Control Head and the MMI LCD when you engage reverse. Anyone seen or used one of these? This is rather attractive to me if it means I don't have to install PDC too (if the OEM camera requires PDC that is, and I don't have to replace my control head for one with FBAS).

4) I've also seen these aftermarket cameras which can either fit into the handle or replace one of the license plate lights. Anyone have any experience with these? Would one of these aftermarket cameras be suitable with the OEM reverse camera module?

Hopefully someone has some experience with this! I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Many Thanks
Mark

Hi ,
First of all your mmi 2g high control head need to have a FBAS plug(green one) for video which I doubt if there is no PDC installed.
Regarding PDC modules :
- you can install 8 sensor one and code it for front only
-you can get 4 and 8 sensor one without camera support ( so pay attention when buying if you going to add reverse camera in future )
- wiring is simple
-camera needs module and this will have component protection
-new control head with FBAS input will also need component protection removal.

I would go for PDC back/front to keep the cost low. If you going to build the camera set then start thinking of mmi 3G instead :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi ,

Hey, thanks for the reply,

Ya, I have all those different PDC module part number listings which list their different attributes.

So basically you're saying, if I want to install only rear sensors for now, I can get a module which supports 8 sensors and reverse camera and just code it for only 4 sensors? (as per this page: https://a6retrofit.com/blog/2014/02/04/a6-4f-parktronic-retrofit-manual)

Correct, my control head does not have FBAS. Are you saying that for OEM reverse camera I need to have PDC? Or can OEM reverse camera be run without PDC?

This is also why the aftermarket intercept reverse camera boxes are rather attractive... No need to install PDC, no drilling of bumpers, etc. No component protection. Just wondering of they look rubbish or not. I know I wouldn't have the guiding lines on the screen, but I just want the camera to see behind me anyway.

Mark