Perils of ownership

nothingness

Reaction score
Does anyone else get this...since getting my S3 I get every boy racer in any area I am drive up my ****?

The other day I took a parent shopping so 50mph for 10 miles then motorway...for the entire 50mph (average speed) I had a fiesta ST lookalike sat about half a foot from my back bumper with the driver from time to time gesticulating at me to "go on" I was in the inside lane of a dual carriageway, empty lane next to me he could have used. My car in quiet mode (comfort) so no popping or anything.

Earlier today I get to a nice twisty b road I know and along comes a DS3 and again sits so close to my rear bumper throughout the whole twist section that I couldn't see his headlights or even his bonnet, just his windscreen, felt like I couldn't brake because he was that close, i had to let off the throttle and coast, long straight after so foot down and surprise surprise he couldn't keep up... then twists again and back at it.

Sometimes I feel like I can't enjoy driving anymore as these nobs always want to race me or something and it's mostly in cars that couldn't dream of keeping up. Whereas Focus ST/RS's or the equivalent always follow me with a healthy gap.

Also twice I've had people follow me home, I live in a weird place geographically and I've had to do some considerable detours near home including doing full circles of roundabouts and back and forth on the same interlink roads for them to still follow me and so had put my foot down to lose them before coming home.

It's getting quite annoying now.

I mean it's an S3 nor an R8 for ***** sake.

Reactions: Raiden
Oddly enough when I had my S3 8V (panther black) nobody ever bothered me and the same for my subsequent SQ5.
Now I have a green RSQ3 I do get the boy racer brigade flying up behind to goad me into putting my foot down.
I generally don't bother as you can be doing silly speeds in seconds nowadays so what's the point.
The odd times when I do set off sharpish, they normally realise very quickly it's a quick car and I let them go

Reactions: nothingness
This is why I went 2.0tdi..since owning I'm definitely enjoying driving slow without the daftness of kids

I've had about 4 performance cars in a row and it's just the norm unfortunately. Just gotta ignore them and get on with your day. Sometimes it does get annoying especially when you've got family in the car and young kids etc etc.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Lotta Pratt’s around these days, just gotta ignore or let them go past.
A few times I’ve had to pull in to make them go past, as some idiots drive dangerously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jdp1962 and nothingness
Spray the window washers and it should hit their window and make them slow down and get the hint.

Lotta Pratt’s around these days, just gotta ignore or let them go past.
A few times I’ve had to pull in to make them go past, as some idiots drive dangerously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just do this; I'd rather have an idiot driver in front of me than behind.

Reactions: SiPie and toooldforboyracing
Must be something about Fiestas. i've had 2 in 2 days sitting up my hoop. Both inhabited by spotty youths and both times i've got the kids in the car coming back from school. And both times at the B road twisty bit i've given it some shoe and entirely lost them. But I really should be a better person and not bother !

My washers are set perfect , When pressed doing 60 mph the water runs up the window and sprays onto the car behind .

I've had about 4 performance cars in a row and it's just the norm unfortunately. Just gotta ignore them and get on with your day. Sometimes it does get annoying especially when you've got family in the car and young kids etc etc.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
That's why I've always had sleepers in the past.

One thing I've found useful in dealing with bumper huggers is a manual switch on the brake light circuit. Ease off the gas, press the switch and watch the chav behind sh!t themselves :tearsofjoy:

Driving up someone else bumper is a form of road rage. They are angry that you have a nicer car then them and therefore need to prove that they are a "faster/better" driver than you to compensate. A lot of the dashcam videos I see on Youtube lead me to believe theses sort of people are "high" on drugs, as they seem to have no inhibitions about harming others and no sense of danger.
In this case my advice would be let them past and stay a long distance behind them (in case of hijack) or take another route.

Sadly a fact of life I'm afraid, you won't stop it either, it is behaviour that is ingrained in us all as humans to a more or lesser degree.
It's easy to say just ignore it, but I agree it's not and can be a lead to a very dangerous situation.
I've found the best method is to just take the next turning off the road along your route and do a quick u-turn, then just carry on, let the idiots get out of the way.
As much as it's a pain etc, the best plan is to just avoid a confrontation, whether it's an up the bumper encounter with boy racers or an impatient driver, just let them get by in the safest way you can.