Personal number plate query

Gill ZB

Reaction score
I know I'm a nightmare newbie to keep asking questions - and probably posting in the wrong place (sorry Sandra!:relaxed:) but my TT was sold to me with a personal number plate (I didn't ask for it - it came with the Audi) - but the salesman then told me after I had paid that it may have to go back on the original dvla number plate - he told me this the same time he was handing me the keys and trying to get away as fast as he could - so I didn't fully understand ...if I bought the TT with the private number plate doesn't that mean that it belongs with the car and thus is mine ? He did say while he was giving me the sales patter and getting me to sign for things I now realise I didn't need, that the car came with the plates and that the seller didn't want them. However when I test drove the TT the plates had in small writing Audi north east - but I now see the plates say the dealers name I bought from on - are they the legal owners of the plates and I will have to go back to original dvla one? I was also told at point of sale that the plates were worth something. I'm thinking the dealer now wants them back to sell on even though I bought the TT under that reg ?? I'm confused.com big time!!! I've also been told by a colleague that as a single female they have taken advantage of my ignorance and the fact that I was so in love with the TT that I would have signed my life away without realising ! I really need informed advice as none of my pals know the answer to this and I'm getting conflicting advice and I don't want to be taken advantage of again - it's vac enough being told the £580 warranty isn't worth paper it's written on and I don't understand the invoice breakdown at all !!! Sorry to be such a pain but I could do with some help please :astonished::neutral:...Thankyou to anyone who didn't fall asleep reading my epic war and peace length posts!!!:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Ringway
A form V317 would need to have been signed by you to agree to the transfer of the number plate. If it hadn't been signed, and you haven't signed anything else in agreement to the transfer then I would say the plate is yours. The dealer would probably argue that they want it back but legally I doubt they have sufficient, if any, grounds to do so.

If you're in any doubt then I would suggest a call to the DVLA to confirm you situation. If you choose to call then I wish you good luck in trying to speak to a human. In my experience it's a series of automated responses to what you're looking for.

Reactions: Gill ZB
When a plate is transferred onto a car then plain and simple it belongs to that car. If the car is then sold with the plate on, the seller has no claim to it unless it is written into the sale and you agree to it.
I would say the ball is in your court if you want to keep the plate or not.
The plate can be put on retention at any time and the car will usually revert to the original number if it's still available, however there is a fee to do this and then to keep it on retention after the first year.
Once it's off the plate can be sold

Reactions: 45bvtc and Gill ZB
A form V317 would need to have been signed by you to agree to the transfer of the number plate. If it hadn't been signed, and you haven't signed anything else in agreement to the transfer then I would say the plate is yours. The dealer would probably argue that they want it back but legally I doubt they have sufficient, if any, grounds to do so.

If you're in any doubt then I would suggest a call to the DVLA to confirm you situation. If you choose to call then I wish you good luck in trying to speak to a human. In my experience it's a series of automated responses to what you're looking for.
To be honest I signed that much and was that confused that I could have signed my own death warrant as long as got my TT!! :blackrs4:The dealer is bothering me for all the paperwork back now so I'm holding onto it then going in on Saturday to ask where I stand ..I also want to cancel this gap insurance carry on - I don't know what it's all about - I feel I've been PPI'd !!! I want to keep the plate - never thought I'd be bothered about one but to me it's part of my TT's personality:relaxed:..thanks for th advice - I'm not ringing dvla - I had to ring tax office this week and it was automaton hell!! :rage:

When a plate is transferred onto a car then plain and simple it belongs to that car. If the car is then sold with the plate on, the seller has no claim to it unless it is written into the sale and you agree to it.
I would say the ball is in your court if you want to keep the plate or not.
The plate can be put on retention at any time and the car will usually revert to the original number if it's still available, however there is a fee to do this and then to keep it on retention after the first year.
Once it's off the plate can be sold
I want to keep the plate but I think I paid enough for my TT without another fee on top! However will see what garage says on Saturday and hopefully it will be resolved - but thanks for the advice :relaxed:

I wouldn't believe all the garage will tell you Gill, their after the plate back & will tell you anything to get it.

Has the V5 been sent off in your name ?

Gill.. Don't show them any paperwork.... It's up to them to show you if you sign any paperwork to hand the plate back.

If they cannot show you that, it's your plate!

the plates had in small writing Audi north east - but I now see the plates say the dealers name I bought from on

Dealers do this to advertise, this is normal.

Reactions: Scottyg and Gill ZB
It was up to them to remove the plates ie put them on retention BEFORE they sold you the car. As i see it the plates are legally yours. if the V5 has been sent to Swansea in your name then their yours, tell the garage to go & do one.

Reactions: 45bvtc, AtotheK and Gill ZB
I wouldn't believe all the garage will tell you Gill, their after the plate back & will tell you anything to get it.

Has the V5 been sent off in your name ?
I honestly don't know - feel I'm being played they were all over me trying to get me to do finance - but when I said no their attitude changed - I'm not impressed - TT wasn't ready last Wednesday when I was told he would be (so I took time off work for nothing ) but they said I still had to pay the full amount which they messed up and my bank account was locked- then when TT was delivered to my work they added £20 diesel to my bill to drive TT to me - not valeted as I expected after paying over 14k - then salesman mumbled something about not being able to keep plate and couldn't get away fast enough and now pestering me to drive to them with signed copies of part ex, warranty, gap insurance (????) i didn't get any part of the log book or anything - I think honestly it's a case of -" here's a single middle aged dumb blonde female looking for a car on her own - She hasn't a clue - lets get what we can out of her " !!!theyve got my money now and I love my TT but I do feel confused as it all happened so fast ! The best bit was that the salesman messed up taking the payment from my bank and said " I'm not sure if I did the transaction right and that payment has been debited from your bank so can I try again - do you have enough in your bank to cover it if it comes out twice?" - oh yeah sure I always keep a spare 28k in my current account- doesn't everyone ?!! Like was he for real??? And I had all the grief of having my account frozen and long expensive calls to my bank yo sort it out - I was stressed out last week lol!!! I don't know where I am with all the paperwork and no one to ask - all I can do is look at my beautiful awesome TT and think he was worth it ! But I would to keep that plate too !!!!

It was up to them to remove the plates ie put them on retention BEFORE they sold you the car. As i see it the plates are legally yours. if the V5 has been sent to Swansea in your name then their yours, tell the garage to go & do one.
Ha ha ! Yeah - I work as a site secretary with tradesmen in construction so I could tell them to do one in the best of industrial language !!! I'm sure I didn't sign the log book ..

Gill.. Don't show them any paperwork.... It's up to them to show you if you sign any paperwork to hand the plate back.

If they cannot show you that, it's your plate!

Dealers do this to advertise, this is normal.

Well I hope the plate is mine as I've had to pay for change of details with my insurance and the reg insured is the personal plate !!!

From what you've said it seems the plate is yours unless you've signed anything to transfer it to them.

Do you need to go back to the garage for anything else other than the plate? If not then I'd stay away and wait to see what plate comes back on the new log book through the post.

If it's the original plate for the car then you could have signed something, or they've forged your signature. Either sounds plausible given what you've said about how the sale went.

Reactions: Gill ZB and Ghost
There should be no need to "return" any paperwork. You've completed the sale, end of discussion.

It does sound like they are trying to pull a fast one. Are there no forum members local to you that can offer some assistance when (if) you visit the garage?

Reactions: Gill ZB, Scottyg and Ghost
As said, you never go back to a dealer once you have the car to sign anything. They simply want you in to sign over the number plate as they think it may be worth something to them.
The car is yours, the plate is yours and stay away from the dealer. They sound like a shoddy bunch!
If they want something from you do all your talking over the phone or preferably via email so you have a record.
Not to sound sexist, but do you have a male friend, preferably a rather large bloke, you can take with you if you really want to go to the dealer??
I'd still stay away from them. Car is your lock, stock and barrel!

The plate follows the car unless it's been retained. So once you get your V5C document through the post in your name, with the private plate on, it belongs to you, no one else, they have no grounds to get it back.

Reactions: Ghost
As said, you never go back to a dealer once you have the car to sign anything. They simply want you in to sign over the number plate as they think it may be worth something to them.
The car is yours, the plate is yours and stay away from the dealer. They sound like a shoddy bunch!
If they want something from you do all your talking over the phone or preferably via email so you have a record.
Not to sound sexist, but do you have a male friend, preferably a rather large bloke, you can take with you if you really want to go to the dealer??
I'd still stay away from them. Car is your lock, stock and barrel!
Haha that's not sexist it made me laugh :tearsofjoy: - I should have asked some of the labourers I work with to come with me! Ive got loads of paperwork to hand back - dealer copies of warranty, gap insurance which I don't want and loads of stuff about the part ex - after reading all the kind and helpful comments on here I think I may just wait till I get the log book and see what it says. The sale was rushed through as it was the end of the month and tax year - it wasn't a good experience at all but my TT is so worth it all. I don't want to go back to the garage at all so I may just tell them to come and pick the stuff up.

Reactions: Scottyg
What's the dealer?
Evans halshaw - the salesman was canny enough but I just feel it was all rushed and I didn't get a proper verbal explanation of the invoice breakdown and there's things on it I don't understand - I was too rushed and a bit ashamed to say I didn't understand ! I mean what is gap insurance and why am I having to have it? I wish I knew someone who could look at the invoice and explain it! I have a work colleague who diesnt know why I've been charged for things - so I'm just having to forget about it as the money is gone now. It's amazing that they were so keen to get me to do finance and I feel I've been penalised because it was cash!!!

GAP insurance is incase your car is written off. It tends to cover the difference between your insurance payout and what you paid for the car-or in their language 'return to invoice'! If you paid more than £150 for it don't sign and go get 3rd party cover as its always cheaper.

GAP insurance is incase your car is written off. It tends to cover the difference between your insurance payout and what you paid for the car-or in their language 'return to invoice'! If you paid more than £150 for it don't sign and go get 3rd party cover as its always cheaper.
It's £349 and I think I've already signed but he said something about having to go online to activate it as they aren't allowed to sell it any more due to change in legislation?!! I was so stunned by the TT that I didn't hear anything properly - I just wanted him and they were probably aware that I was so desperate to get him ! In hindsight I'm annoyed that I wasn't more professional and detached but I was like a kid at Xmas and all the complicated figures etc went straight over my head. It didn't help that there was another person wanting to test drive and she looked well narked that I'd got there first. I just hope that I can at least cancel the gap insurance if nothing else and maybe just take the other documents back after the garage has closed. Im not good at confrontation and tend to be a bit of a softie and trust and believe people a bit too blindly. Thankyou so much for explaining things in straightforward terms - this forum is great :relaxed::blackrs4:

As with any financial agreement you have 14 day cooling off period. So you can cancel it. Just remember if you have paid for it within the price of the car, loan you handed over, you're owed money back.

Reactions: Ghost
As with any financial agreement you have 14 day cooling off period. So you can cancel it. Just remember if you have paid for it within the price of the car, loan you handed over, you're owed money back.
Yes the £349 gap insurance was taken with the price of the car - how would I get the money back as I imagine they will be pretty arsey as they'll lose commission ? That £349 would be better spent on breakdown cover.

They can't be arsey about it as its not their money. You could maybe ask to transfer it to a service plan but I'd stick to my guns and ask for it back. Tell them that it was explained properly too you and you have since looked at what it is and don't want it. Cue the PPI!!

They can't be arsey about it as its not their money. You could maybe ask to transfer it to a service plan but I'd stick to my guns and ask for it back. Tell them that it was explained properly too you and you have since looked at what it is and don't want it. Cue the PPI!!
Already paid over £500 for a warranty that a colleague told me wasn't worth paper it was written on so I'd like my money back for gap insurance at least. But yes I thought it was a PPI type of thing! I know I may have been done over but honestly the TT is just so stunning! I've never driven let alone owned anything as amazing and I smile everytime I look at him and driving isn't driving anymore - it's like going into orbit! I can't believe I actually own this awesome TT i guess I'd do it all again but at least I know a bit more now - thanks for the advice. There's loads i want to ask about everything lol:grin::relieved::redrs4:

Reactions: Scottyg
Out of interest how did you finance the purchase of the car?

Gap insurance will usually cover the difference between the market value and the settlement of your finance plan. On used cars it's less of an issue but on new cars it can be worthwhile. If you buy a car for £20,000, drive it for a month and it's only worth £18,000. If you have a total loss accident and the insurance offer you £18,000 then you may still have £19,500 left to pay off the finance. Gap insurance will pay the difference off so that you can start from scratch.

Evans halshaw - the salesman was canny enough but I just feel it was all rushed and I didn't get a proper verbal explanation of the invoice breakdown and there's things on it I don't understand - I was too rushed and a bit ashamed to say I didn't understand ! I mean what is gap insurance and why am I having to have it? I wish I knew someone who could look at the invoice and explain it! I have a work colleague who diesnt know why I've been charged for things - so I'm just having to forget about it as the money is gone now. It's amazing that they were so keen to get me to do finance and I feel I've been penalised because it was cash!!!

No surprise there

Reactions: Jake 61
Pa
Out of interest how did you finance the purchase of the car?

Gap insurance will usually cover the difference between the market value and the settlement of your finance plan. On used cars it's less of an issue but on new cars it can be worthwhile. If you buy a car for £20,000, drive it for a month and it's only worth £18,000. If you have a total loss accident and the insurance offer you £18,000 then you may still have £19,500 left to pay off the finance. Gap insurance will pay the difference off so that you can start from scratch.
paid outright. No finance. Cost of TT was £13451 - I still can't work it all out but grand total over ££14k . So they knew that I didn't need gap insurance but sold it all the same as I was confused, love struck with TT and trusted their advice.

No surprise there
My friends hubby had a bad experience with them too. but they had my dream car so I had no choice. I wasn't looking for a new car but on good Friday I just got this urge to look at audis and my TT was pthe first car I looked st just browsing on line - and it really was love at first sight !! I tried to be sensible and tryvlooking for a newer cheaper car but I didn't want to. I would have regretted it if I hadn't followed my heart. I knew before I had tne test drive the next day that I would buy him . I've always been impulsive and act before I think but I firmly believe my TT was meant for me and I've never felt this way about a car since my beloved Cortina:redrs4::cry: however I'm reliably informed by my friends that I'm having a mid life crisis hahaha! May as well have one in style :fearscream::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: jojo
If the car cost £13,451 then you mentioned you purchased a £500 warranty. The gap insurance will have taken you well over £14,000.

As it was Evans Halshaw then they will also have passed the cost of their HPI check into you. Even though they will have done the check prior to taking the car in part-ex they still expect you to pay for it.

Depending on how long it's been since you paid the money then all may not be lost. If it's been 14 days or less then you are still in your cooling off period, even though it was a face to face transaction and not distance selling.

Have a read of the gap insurance documentation to see if it's a return to invoice policy. If so then decide if you want it. The way it works is that if you have a non-fault accident in 2 years time they will pay the difference between the market value you get from your insurer and the £13,451 you paid for the car. Any other type of gap insurance in a cash sale is worthless.

The next part is the warranty, have a good think about this. A warranty can be worthwhile in some cases but bear in mind that there are often so many different exclusions such as wear and tear. There are often quite low caps on repair amounts that they can indeed be worthless. In my opinion that £500 is better spent on repairing the car yourself should anything go wrong, if it doesn't then you've saved £500. The other side of the coin is that the repair could cost £800 and you're £300 down. It's a risk you take.

The part regarding the potential cost of the HPI check is gone I'm afraid. If you've paid for this then don't worry, it's not a huge cost but be aware of it next time you buy the car.

£20 diesel is a bit cheeky. You've likely signed something to say you would pay for it but it's not good service as the original hand over date was pushed back due to an oversight on their part with the tyres. You will probably find that the car failed an MOT on the original hand over date. You can heck this online if you wish. A quick email to Evans Halshaw customer service should see this refunded to you. Don't go to the garage, it'll cost you close to £20 to get there and back.

As for the number plate, don't sign anything without reading it carefully first. Be careful what it is and ideally take someone with you, anyone at all.

Thankyou to everyone for such helpful advice and support - and I'm pleased to say I have a result .....and it's a good one .....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    923.1 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: 45bvtc, Jake 61, Scottyg and 1 other person
Thankyou to everyone for such helpful advice and support - and I'm pleased to say I have a result .....and it's a good one .....
That's fantastic News Gill. They cant take the number off you now. :) x x

That's fantastic News Gill. They cant take the number off you now. :) x x
I know!! I'm really grateful for all the support and advice from everyone - it's been really helpful - and my new car mats look awesome too lol x

Reactions: Sandra
In the best industrial language I know, it sounds like "canny" or not, the salesman f****d up and they tried to play on your innocence to get the number back. This isn't the first time EH have been discussed on this forum and it's never to sing their praises.
It's good to hear you have things sorted out and can get on with enjoying your car.

:yahoo: