Petrol cap not opening

PCA7

Reaction score
Hi all,

After a bit of help:help:

Since I've had my A7 I've always had issues with the petrol cap not releasing when pressed, after about 10 mins of trying it opens.
The other day I spent an hour with no joy and had to force it open, now it stays slightly open and I have to use a screw driver to open and close it.
It looks to be the actuator has broken and needs replacing, is it an easy thing to replace myself? as I'm going to struggle to find any one to do it with everything that's goin on right now!!

Thanks in advance for any help and advise people can give on this

Pali

I've just ordered a brand new one from ebay.
No . 184017536647
£12.94 free delivery. Approx. 2 to 3 days.
Bargain.
It's only a Solenoid anyway !
Lots of places are asking £39.99 for the same part.
Fitting instructions on Utube
Good Luck with it.

I've just ordered a brand new one from ebay.
No . 184017536647
£12.94 free delivery. Approx. 2 to 3 days.
Bargain.
It's only a Solenoid anyway !
Lots of places are asking £39.99 for the same part.
Fitting instructions on Utube
Good Luck with it.

Let me know how you get on with it mate

Reactions: mickyh7
Unfortunately this is a known issue.

At least you have managed to get the flap opened, the bigger challenge is getting it opened if it’s truly stuck shut.

Unfortunately this is a known issue.

At least you have managed to get the flap opened, the bigger challenge is getting it opened if it’s truly stuck shut.

Yes, from buying the car, mine has always opened and closed. It just wouldn't lock.
I have free time now so I'll sort it out.

Reactions: RAF_S7
I've just had a message saying it's being delivered today.
Pretty good going considering the present situation!
Hopefully it will be fitted later today.

OK all sorted, probably 10 minute job.
Check out the U-tube video first, it's about 16 minutes long. This will give you an idea of what's involved.
I could not pull the inner cover off with pliers using the old Male lock part, (that was my own plan) so I punctured the bottom two marks with a fine flat head electrical screwdriver. Using a drill like motion. That was enough for it all to come out. The video says do all 4.
No need.
I reused the old red emergency cable to save pulling the new one through. Two torx screws and a small connector to sort.
When done the whole lot just pushes back in, you can hear all four clicks.
The rest is common sense.
It's very difficult to see the two holes I made, and only when your fueling anyway so I'm not spending £40 on a new inner cover.
The original Solenoid lock unit, when opened to have a look/fix, as you do, was a mass of rust and grease so I just binned it.
I'm so glad I didn't pay an hour's labour plus parts to Audi (£200 ish) for what was a **** easy job !

Mine went on my previous A7, 2015, it gave me a scare as I had no diesel and was at the pump and couldn't get it open. Just got my nails under it and gave it a worryingly hard pull and it came open. It was fixed under warranty

While doing the job, I noticed that the Cap Tether strap was almost snapped.
These are unavailable unless you buy a new cap at ridiculous cost, £60-£80 I'm told !
I found the strap for sale on Ali Express for around $3
On its way now, should arrive in about 4 or 5 weeks lol.

I've got a similar fault with mine, but it opens and closes fine but just wont ever lock, even though the rest of the doors are locked. Not a huge issue, so I've moved it right down the list to do... power mods come first!

Changed quite of few of these solenoids of late for clients, they jam & have to be replaced along with the surround as the removal to fit new solenoid requires new water tight surround as old one is pierced on removal.

If anyone wants it fixing let me know.

Changed quite of few of these solenoids of late for clients, they jam & have to be replaced along with the surround as the removal to fit new solenoid requires new water tight surround as old one is pierced on removal.

If anyone wants it fixing let me know.

Hi there, I have the same issue on my 2015 A7. Where are you based and what would be the rough cost to fix this? Thanks.

Ping me a WhatsApp, number in my signature.

Reactions: Ali_A7
even though the rest of the doors are locked. Not a huge issue, so I've moved Kodi nox it right down the list to do... power mods come first!
Needs new fuel locking solenoid unit, water damage fries the motor.