Petrol cap not opening

adro

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with their petrol cap not opening with the central locking. Mine is stuck fast and their is no manual release in the boot.

Never had a problem, but according to manual there is a manual release cord:

64523ED3 4E96 4690 BBAA 6F2DECC882D0

Not sure in the mechanics of the 8Y but "push eject" Audi filler caps are/were notorious for actuators failing. Had mine done last year sometime... Even now I sometimes have to run a credit card around an edge for the door to spring open... Garbage

Reactions: adro
Finally managed to free it with a little persuasion!. The actuator still gets stuck sometimes so leaving it open until I get it looked at.

Finally managed to free it with a little persuasion!. The actuator still gets stuck sometimes so leaving it open until I get it looked at.
Get it in as soon as possible as you're under warranty no doubt.
Keep your tank full just in case... as its a scary experience desperate for fuel and can't get the cap open! You would think they would have changed the design by now but suppose its a regular little earner for them over time... Was about 120quid for my 8U unless you can fit yourself.

Can you elaborate on " a little persuasion " as I found that mine was stuck during washing this am, I have about 1/4 tank on an S3 to fix this !!!!!!!!!!!!
When I lock and unlock the car I hear a slight click, and when I pull the red nylon cord in the boot (saloon) I hear something but the flap will not open............
Help!

Can you elaborate on " a little persuasion " as I found that mine was stuck during washing this am, I have about 1/4 tank on an S3 to fix this !!!!!!!!!!!!
When I lock and unlock the car I hear a slight click, and when I pull the red nylon cord in the boot (saloon) I hear something but the flap will not open............
Help!
I had no red cord in mine. I eventually got it open by keep pressing the unlock button with the remote and banging on the petrol cap at the same time. Took a few attempts but came free eventually. Hope that helps

Reactions: Potterswheel
Thanks for the suggestions, but I had already tried every which way, red cable, bumping, lock - unlock, judicious pulling, etc. etc.
I have managed to get the flap open WITHOUT damaging the paint! by gently using several layers of insulation tape and a couple of nylon trim irons.
Filler cap open
and a suction cup to support and move the flap round which I had bought when I removed my mirror glass
Sucker cup
It appears that the push - push catch which holds the flap in or out is still working, but the 'turning action' and lock is not.
At least I can get some fuel in now whilst I go about sorting a spare mechanism out and learn how to change it myself - watch this space!

Oh dear - I thought that VAG has sorted this issue out by now.
My son's Polo - 10 years old - has this annoying fault. It's the acuator which locks / unlocks the cap. Replaced it twice over the life of the car.
Had it on my Golf Mk 7

Seems that it's still an issue!

Is it much of a job? I have ordered all the parts this morning.
this was on my way to fill up

Out of fuel

The push catch was what went on mine... I had to run a credit card around the filler cap sometimes for it to eject... Crap idea and should have been replaced in newer models ages ago!