Petrol Engines

DaveW

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, the 45TFSI and 55TFSI engines are now available on the Audi UK configurator. Theres is now also a 40TDI Quattro available.
Cheers,
Dave

Reactions: CHEZ
It whetted my appetite, until I saw the starting price of £43.5k for the sline :scared2:

Reactions: DaveW and Simonwhite2000
Given how terrible i found the 50tdi i still think you dont need any more than a 40tdi. 55 tfsi does sound lovely and would be creamy smooth but a 40tdi with a few nice options and a DTUK box is the sweet spot i think.

Reactions: cuke2u
The 55 would have been my preferred choice as I don't do many miles, however talking to the dealer, they are anticipating the earliest build dates week 11, and a c. 26 week lead time to UK deliveries. It's a shame but I just cannot wait that long, so sticking so tha the 50 I have on order.

Still ****** I could not order the 55 as it drives like a dream. The 50 is not shabby and adequate, on reflection I should have purchased on a 3 or 4 year leased as residuals will erode as electric becomes credible. The other Audi A6 C7 on the drive will be holding out for the electric. One thing is for sure, after dieselgate, AUDI will be investing their future on electric.
The e-tron is far from a finished product and I take my hat off to early adopters as they will fund the way to making this a realistic proposition. Drove one in Germany a while ago and UK recently. The motoring rag hacks are over enthusiastic and easily impressed. For £70k plus I doubt they would be spending their own cash on this. As a company purchase making a statement, that is another matter.

Puzzled as to why the 40TDi Quattro, which has the same engine outputs as the standard car and weighs more, produces better fuel consumption and lower CO2 output. Same data appears on the Audi Germany site as the UK. Can't help thinking someone at Audi has made a mistake

We seem to have drifted across to discussing diesels when this thread is really about petrol engines....

Reactions: DaveW
Morning all

Is there any petrol Audi A6 C8 owners on here. If there is how are you finding your cars so far?

Morning all

Is there any petrol Audi A6 C8 owners on here. If there is how are you finding your cars so far?

I have had my 45 TFSI for just over a year now and am very happy with the engine, but I have always been a fan of petrol over diesel. The engine is very smooth in my opinion, but fuel consumption is not as good as a diesel version by a long shot.

My driving style is generally smooth and sticking to speed limits.

Best consumption achieved: 42mpg on a drive from Amsterdam to London.
Average motorway/out of town consumption: 36mpg
Overall average consumption over the past 5000 miles: 27mpg
Central London driving average: 13mpg

Reactions: jamestalmond
I have had my 45 TFSI for just over a year now and am very happy with the engine, but I have always been a fan of petrol over diesel. The engine is very smooth in my opinion, but fuel consumption is not as good as a diesel version by a long shot.

Oh that's good. Hopefully I could get a good deal with an A6 in the future especially with ULEZ coming into force next year. I sat in my friend's one and said to myself after I finish with the A4 for the next few years this car will be next

I forgot to ask you what A6 trim do you have?

This may sound like a silly question but are all the petrol c8 cars quattro or front wheel drive?

Also is there a reason why most of the c8 cars only offer dual zone climate control whereas the b9 a4 offers 3 zone instead?

Many thanks

This may sound like a silly question but are all the petrol c8 cars quattro or front wheel drive?

Also is there a reason why most of the c8 cars only offer dual zone climate control whereas the b9 a4 offers 3 zone instead?

Many thanks
All petrol versions are Quattro.

There is (or was!) an option to go for 4 zone climate control, I think it was about £800.00!

All petrol versions are Quattro.

There is (or was!) an option to go for 4 zone climate control, I think it was about £800.00!
Oh I see. Thank for that. I do wonder if that option is still there.

Oh I see. Thank for that. I do wonder if that option is still there.
Think it is now only available as part of the Vorsprung Trim Level. I assume that with Climate being one of the features that has a direct impact on fuel consumption making this only as part of a specific trim level removes a whole lot of fuel consumption testing for Audi (under the new WLTP rules every conceivable production car needs to be tested separately hence why all manufacturers slashed the number of options offered in 2019)

Reactions: Mkay315
Think it is now only available as part of the Vorsprung Trim Level. I assume that with Climate being one of the features that has a direct impact on fuel consumption making this only as part of a specific trim level removes a whole lot of fuel consumption testing for Audi (under the new WLTP rules every conceivable production car needs to be tested separately hence why all manufacturers slashed the number of options offered in 2019)
Ok now I understand. I suppose I may need to wait a few years after I've finished with my future A4. Hopefully this c8 can be driven around before restictions come into play for the petrol cars

Many thanks

The lower petrol engines and diesels with the DSG boxes have a different quattro system, it's the 'Ultra' system, with is 4 wheel drive on demand The higher torque engines like he 50 TDI and I assume the 55 TFSi, which can't have DSG boxes due to the torque loads, have the proper, full-fat Quattro, i.e. permanent 3 wheel drive with the 60:40 split to the rear.

Given how terrible i found the 50tdi i still think you dont need any more than a 40tdi. 55 tfsi does sound lovely and would be creamy smooth but a 40tdi with a few nice options and a DTUK box is the sweet spot i think.

Is the 50 TDI really that bad? I'll be in the market for a new motor next year, I'm currently in a 2019 E220d. it's a peach of an engine, so smooth. But at times I miss the 3-litre diesel I had in the BMW I had prior to the merc. So I've been looking at the 50TDI as an option. Aside from the laggy gearbox, is it bad? Is it smooth, quiet etc?

Is the 50 TDI really that bad? I'll be in the market for a new motor next year, I'm currently in a 2019 E220d. it's a peach of an engine, so smooth. But at times I miss the 3-litre diesel I had in the BMW I had prior to the merc. So I've been looking at the 50TDI as an option. Aside from the laggy gearbox, is it bad? Is it smooth, quiet etc?
The 50TDi is a bit pants, until you have the software update done; then it is fairly decent. I had mine done a month or two back, and it now drives like it should have done out of the box. Tonnes of torque and effortless acceleration in most gears (especially when the gearbox is now being told to pick the right cogs at the right time..)

The lower petrol engines and diesels with the DSG boxes have a different quattro system, it's the 'Ultra' system, with is 4 wheel drive on demand The higher torque engines like he 50 TDI and I assume the 55 TFSi, which can't have DSG boxes due to the torque loads, have the proper, full-fat Quattro, i.e. permanent 3 wheel drive with the 60:40 split to the rear.
Oh I see. Well thank you for clearing that up for me. I appreciate it

Oh I see. Well thank you for clearing that up for me. I appreciate it
No worries, I said 3 wheel drive above, I of course meant 4 wheel drive.

And the Ultra system seems a good system, it's more advanced than your typical Haldex system. When you turn your car on, for instance, the 4 wheel drive is on straight away, it will move to two-wheel drive once you've been driving and for example, you're on a dry straight road. So by default, the system is on and makes the decision to go to 2WD only when it deems it's ok to do so and thus to save fuel.

A very interesting discussion with an Audi engineer below. He has the car hooked up to a program and shows when the car is in AWD and 2WD.

Reactions: Mkay315
No worries, I said 3 wheel drive above, I of course meant 4 wheel drive.

And the Ultra system seems a good system, it's more advanced than your typical Haldex system. When you turn your car on, for instance, the 4 wheel drive is on straight away, it will move to two-wheel drive once you've been driving and for example, you're on a dry straight road. So by default, the system is on and makes the decision to go to 2WD only when it deems it's ok to do so and thus to save fuel.

A very interesting discussion with an Audi engineer below. He has the car hooked up to a program and shows when the car is in AWD and 2WD.

That's helpful to know. All this time I thought that all the quattro cars were just 4 wheel driving at all times. I didn't know that you could switch it to front wheel driving.

Learn something new everyday. Cheers for that

Really? According to Audi themselves, all variants of the A6 (except RS models) use a 'Self-locking centre differential' system which has a 50-50 power bias as standard on normal road conditions. The '4 wheel on demand' which you're referring to, only seems to be available on the A4 Allroad Quattro and Q5 models.

https://www.audi.co.uk/audi-innovation/quattro-all-wheel-drive.html

I have heard several conflicting versions of which type of quattro system the C8 has I’m afraid, I don’t even know which to believe anymore so have just resigned myself to the knowledge that the car has four wheels in total.

Longitudinal layout (A4 onwards) with S-Tronic (40TDI, 45TFSI for e.g.) come with Quattro Ultra which will attempt to disengage the rear wheels when possible.

Longitudinal layout with Tiptronic comes with the classic centre differential quattro with rear axle bias.

Transverse layouts (A3, TT for e.g.) come with Haldex. Haldex remains Front Wheel Drive but tries to engage rear axle when needed.

This is the difference between Ultra Quattro Longitudinal and Transverse and as a result, the Longitudinal Quattro Ultra feels neutral most of the times with less perception of understeer. Haldex Quattro will give a more front biased feel with a bit more perceived understeer.

See the video posted above by @Roberto71

BTW, there are videos on YouTube where the driver is performing oversteer drift in snow in a Quattro Ultra (it was an A4 I think).

In summary, all these systems work more or less the same. The feel and perception of understeer is different mostly. In the video by the Audi engineer above, he makes it clear that all the implementation are “performance” implementations rather than “traction”. I understand that he meant to say... these implementations are not meant for serious off-road use rather to maintain/neutralise the balance of the car.

Cheers,
—C