Phone Box / acoustic glass experience?

Radim

Reaction score
Hi. I am about to order the A6 to replace my BMW5. I spend a lot of time in the back seat on the highway, so they recommended that I get the acoustic glass, plus the phone box. My question is - how does the phone box really work? The dealer claims that it simply strenghtens the signal in the car, so if i have the phone in my hand in the back seat, or an ipad with cellular connection in the back seat, the phone box will work just fine to ensure they have strong signal despite the acoustic glass. Can someone with real-world experience please confirm this is the case? Last thing i want is to be unable to place calls or have a good data connection while sitting in the back seat. (Btw i dont want to use the car's handsfree over the speakers.)

The signal is amplified from the phone box to the car's external aerial. But I think the phone has to be resting in the phone box then accessed from within the MMI as the wireless coupling is in the phone box itself
In the A8 rear passengers can use this but I don't think it's possible in the A6, see screen shot of the A6 brochure:
Screenshot 20190108 193132

The signal is amplified from the phone box to the car's external aerial. But I think the phone has to be resting in the phone box then accessed from within the MMI as the wireless coupling is in the phone box itself
In the A8 rear passengers can use this but I don't think it's possible in the A6, see screen shot of the A6 brochure:
View attachment 173082
I think you're right, phone box uses the NFC connection between the phone and car to amplify the aerial signal. So it has to physically be inside the armrest compartment