Phone box / wireless charging package

sonofmusrol

Reaction score
Hello,

I just had a few questions about the A4's phone box and wireless charging package and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

1) I have an iPhone 7 Plus. It seems in photos that the placemat for the phone in the compartment is relatively small. Does anyone know if the larger iPhones fit in these?

2) How does improved reception call quality work? Does it only work when connected with a wireless charger? As my large iPhone may not fit on the mat I'm worried I won't benefit from this feature. Or will it work as long as it's plugged in with USB?

3) Can Apple CarPlay work wirelessly? Or does it have to be plugged in with the USB? Which would effectively make the wireless charging fairly pointless.

Many thanks :)

1 I think the 7 plus should be fine.

2 the iPhone doesn't support wireless charging but will charge when plugged in to USB

3 apple CarPlay only works via USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info :)

I should have probably been clearer with my 2nd question - does anyone know if the phone has to fit perfectly on the placemat in the box for the mobile phone signal booster to work, or can the phone just be anywhere in the car. Not sure how the phone connects to the cars antenna to boost signal?

I thought you had to fit your sim in dash?

I thought you had to fit your sim in dash?

Just looked. The phone should be kept in phone box with screen side up.

I have a 6S Plus which fits in the recess of the wireless charging just fine. Cannot comment on how effective the signal booster is... Seems a little gimmicky to me.

You can get cases which enable wireless charging on the iPhone if it's something you find useful, I prefer connecting via USB. Also find that CarPlay is relatively pointless / poor in comparison to the functionality you get with the MMI system, but each to their own :)

Apple CarPlay Wireless support was announced on iOS 9, but to this day I don't believe there is any 3rd party or OEM solution making use of it. VW was supposed to be the first to demo it until they got told not to by Apple :)

The new 5 series is the only car with wireless CarPlay

Reactions: maui
Never noticed any signal boost from placing the phone in the centre console. It's very hard to prove if it has any affect either way!

I know the heated windscreens can drastically reduce phone signal inside the car, so maybe you'd notice a difference if you had this option too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I seem to remember you had to have the phone box with the heated windsrceen and the heads up display..

There are lots of reception black spots where I live, I find that when connected to the car conversations do not drop, but not connected you have no chance. Seems to do something.

Reactions: gbrown
I have the PhoneBox in my A4 and mainly ordered it as it adds a second connection for another phone. This means i can have my personal and work phone connected at the same time. Cant say i've seen any improvement in call quality but its pretty difficult to tell unless you watch the signal indicator all the time ;-)

Only issue i have is that as soon as i plug the phone in and use apple car play, it turns the bluetooth off which means i still only have one phone connected. Defeats the object of having the ability to connect 2 phones to bluetooth simultaneously.

Does anyone have any idea why bluetooth is turned off when apple car play is turned on??

Audi do a case for the iPhone to enable wireless charging tho not for the 7 it would seem.

I've added the tech pack on mine, so looking forward to testing this.

Have they now got rid of the Audi mmi cables then? Or should I keep my old one from my current car?