Phone options with EXTERNAL aerial

icenutter

Reaction score
I'm looking to fit some sort of phone kit to my B7. It is very important to me to have an external aerial, principally because after having a car with one it makes for much more consitent call quality on the move.

Does the OEM bluetooth allow an external aerial? More specifically is it RSAP compatible?

My car is 56 plate B7 A4 saloon with Symphony II, BOSE and a MFSW.

Cheers.

Anyone?

I'll help us along; if you have factory phone prep, does it connect to the phone using bluetooth or through the cradle?

I have the factory phone prep kit in my B7 so I can help here. Hadn't used the cradle as I had an HTC phone when I bought the car and there wasn't and cradles available from Audi. Just bought in iPhone 4 so picked up cradle from eBay and it works perfectly. Once the phone is docked into the cradle it still connects to the RNS-E via bt but it uses the external aerial of the car. I tested this by driving just down my road to a spot where the signal always dropped. In the cradle I have min 2 bars signal, out of the cradle it drops the signal.

Hope that helps.

Well mine seems to work fine, contacts sync along with missed/received calls etc

No idea about that kit as mine came with the phone kit already fitted.

Now if you want oem then your best bet is to fit the whole oem BT/Cradle system, this wont be cheap & you need to make sure your phone is one supprted by audi cradles as they're not comprehensive tbh or you just fit a car kit that will use an external antenna which looks pants or glass mounted flat one that are also very good.

Yes the system will pull your names, numbers, call lists of the phone whilst car connected on majority of handsets anyway.

If you want the oem kit fitted then send me a PM as I can do this for you & also fit the sharkfin antenna to the car.

Cheers for that NHN. Is that box of tricks that I posted a link to all the electronic hardware I'd need? Or is there another box? The reason I ask is I was looking on ETKA the other night and there was reference to a 'High' and 'Low' phone prep. I can't remember the exact termanology.

Forget about the cradle itself, the bit the cradle fits into, wiring, aerial and so on. Just the box of tricks.

I dont work with fiscon, although it works I only suggest the audi BT unit tbh as it integrates nicely with existing kit & if you have the rns-e head unit works very well.

The link there was to a genuine Audi part. I'd rather go with genuine stuff as well.

Sorry I assumed from the link it was the other type fiscon module that wasnt oem.

That kit is not for your car & I can supply the kit for the B7 A4 cheaper than that mate.

PM if interested.

Thanks again NHW for taking the time to help me. It says on your sig to start a thread, so I'll keep going here for the moment.

Do you need to have the phone holder and the cradle for
a) bluetooth
b) the external aerial
to work as intended? I'm not bothered about having the phone holder per-se as it is a bit ugly, and I'd have the button on my MFSW to pick up and hang up.

I'll probably dig out my Nokia 6230i and use that, then work on getting my iPhone 3GS to work in the future.

Also is 8P0 862 335 QX the actual bluetooth module? What is the 'Compensator' as this seems to be the only part with an external aerial connector (Amplifier 8E0 035 456 D). I thought this might be an amplifier for sound in cars without radios?

Last edited:
Just done a bit more digging, and the Amplifier seems to be an signal amplifer that lives with the BOSE or Sub amp in the boot. Wonder if its approved for UK market?

Yes start a thread if you want info on, if you would like someone's services then PM them as its etiquette on here & other forums.

In answer to your 2 queries, no to A & yes to B as the antenna is connected through the cradle connection as such whereas BT uses the phones antenna.

Iphone will work fine with BT as long as its a newer version.

Yes thats the module & compensator isnt needed if you want just BT.