Phonebox Dimensions

RSt3ve

Reaction score
Following on from a comment in another thread I thought I'd post some info about the Phone box (if it can be called that less the wireless charging).

Dimension wise it is:

20220120 124352

And here's an S21 (Blue case) and iPhone 12 in the 'box', please excuse the disgusting state of my screens!
20220120 124035
20220120 122722

In terms of the once useful armrest from the 8v, there is space for a cable to pass from the 12v socket to the armrest, but the size is much reduced.
20220120 124000

20220120 123356

I've seen a few 90 degree cable options and will have a look for a wireless pad to drop in.
As has been mentioned, wireless charging isn't a showstopper, but for longer days out its a glaring lift by Audi from the spec. I would've rather it come with one key for now and have the wireless pad, especially with wireless Android Auto and Carplay available.
I'll post some options once done, one thing I do know already is that a straight USBC to USBC or Lightening cable doesn't fit without angling the phone and risking cable rubbing on the glosswork.

Last edited:
Reactions: mb127 and 8YARWY
Spot on mate, it's what I was going to have a go at when mine arrives... in 3023 lol.
Be good to see what you find that works and doesn't :thumbs up:

Reactions: RSt3ve
Little update, I ordered this (0.5m version):
Screenshot 20220122 184111 Amazon Shopping

Fits like a charm and doesn't rub on the plastic.
IMG 20220122 WA0007

I might buy another and try and shorten it but for now I'm happy that it's a little neater

Reactions: ipd56, 3vans, RS03??? and 3 others
I’m looking into sorting an option on this as the missing charger is annoying
I intend to fit the correct phone box with the correct charger module and just use with power, unless by a miracle there is a connector under there and it works ok
Failing that I intend to use the shell of a charging module and install a reputable 3rd party wireless charger in it so it all looks oem not overly fussed about connecting to mmi just want no cable, also my phone makes a resounding thud when I corner as it slides about in the standard box, and I’m not sure if the latest iPhone pro max will fit with the usb connector. The dealer gave me an Audi iPhone charger which is 90 degrees and is snug on an iPhone XR

Does anybody know the part number for the New A3 8Y charging module? Or does somebody have access to a car that they could lift the module out and take the number of it?? Big ask but grateful if somebody is willing. I believe there is a tab one one side that just needs a flat piece inserting to unclip it.
I’m also looking at the 8V charging modules as well as Seat modules, as they look the same so that’s my secondary option if I cannot get the part number for the correct charging module.
I will update as I go along.

Did you ever find out what modules/parts are needed to retrofit the wireless charging/phone box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: helicopter_red
Did you ever find out what modules/parts are needed to retrofit the wireless charging/phone box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moosekeeper
I will dig out the details later this weekend
You can buy the cubby hole part quite cheaply from Audi, then you just need the charging module and a wiring kit.
I brought a used charging module from eBay it didn’t work with just power, not sure if faulty or just needed to be connected to the can bus network? Something I haven’t done and won’t do either whilst there is a warranty on the car. There are a few different versions of the chargers that are all the same size and some that are slightly smaller, not sure of the actual one needed if wired in properly, but the one I have is the correct size.
So I just gutted the module and used a wireless charger purchased from Amazon inside it
Looks oem don’t need to plug phone in the downside is that it charges slowly.
I am hoping the new iPhone release later this year will support faster charging then I will just get a new charger and replace what I have.

Here is what i have found.
The screen shots are parts listed for Storage compartment and charging modules.
The Box, that my new storage compartment came in has the numbers "8Y2 864 131 A 4PK" on it, sorry not got any photos of the actual stamped part number on the unit but believe this is correct, may need to confirm before parting with money.
There are different charging modules listed on the screen shot, the one i have and that is the correct size is "4N0 035 502 B" not sure if this is the correct one if you were to wire it in, to properly work, as i said mine has an Amazon charger inside it and wire is routed under center console to charger socket.
Believe these were fitted to A8 Q7 etc.
The storage unit was an absolute doddle to fit.

Attachments

• IMG_2579.JPEG
    IMG_2579.JPEG
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • stowage compartment.JPG
    stowage compartment.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Wireless charger.JPG
    Wireless charger.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2572.PNG
    IMG_2572.PNG