Photobucket and forum images...

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.tuffty.co.uk
As seasoned forum members are aware of Photobucket (PB) has been a prime host for pictures linked in forum posts for a very long time... recent changes however have meant that images are starting get watermarked and in some cases disappear...

I myself have used PB for over 12 years and was paying for the unlimited bandwidth package so I could keep my forum posts full of pictures as I believe being able to visualise something you are describing makes understanding it much easier...

Recently PB rather aggressively changed the way they charge for hosting... this of course is perfectly within PB's rights to do but the way they went about doing it could have been a little better...

In my case it would have meant I would go from paying $25 every two years to $400 a year... this is not particularly reasonable for anyone...

PB clearly realised this and have backtracked a bit to produce more reasonable 'plans'... but still with limitations... for most active people like myself that post lots of images then I would need to use the $6.99* a month plan... the cheapest plan ($4.99*) has decent storage but limited to 25mb bandwidth like the free accounts of which at this time mine has been reverted too..

What this means for the forum is that over time pictures will start to disappear sporadically.... some pics that don't hit the bandwidth cap should be ok but more popular threads with have images popping in and out through out the month...

Unless the original thread starter has sorted out paying for PB or actively updated the thread by uploading and embedding images or hosting them elsewhere then this is unfortunately the reality is that pictures will not all ways be present in threads...

One of the reasons for posting this is that I often see and get asked about reposting images... unfortunately its not always that straight forward and generally I would suggest sending the member of the post you are looking for pictures for rather than the OP of the thread as images are generally tied to whoever owns the post rather than the thread...

I for one have started updating older image links in my build thread to point to my images that I now host on my own website... going forward I will be uploading to ASN and embedding images as this will at least keep the content alive even if I decide to move on..

Beyond that there is not much that can be done to counter PB hosted images dropping out of posts so please bare that in mind before posting replies

Ta

<tuffty/>

*Prices correct at time this post was originally written

Reactions: mephisto, Simon50s, danny_dj3 and 2 others
Oh, this fee increase is too high. What do they want with this action? There's no benefit to having fewer users.