Picked up my A5 Black Edition on Friday 15th

iwBen

Be Gentle
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.interwavestudios.com
Love it to bits. Collecting was the best experience I've ever had and I thought I'd share some pictures taken this past sunny weekend out on the Kent coast.

IMGP0726_private.jpg

IMGP0843_private.jpg

IMGP0780.jpg

IMGP0744_private.jpg

IMGP0754_private.jpg

Last edited:
Hm that's poor- didn't work checking the forum from my phone either. The image host I'm using must be IP-specific! I can't see the edit button on my post anymore, so here they are via a more reliable host;

imgp0726private.jpg

imgp0836private.jpg

imgp0843private.jpg

imgp0780online.jpg

imgp0744private.jpg

imgp0754private.jpg

Hope that works this time!

Reactions: Adam.
Loving the alloys - did those come as standard ? 19's or 20's ?

19's are standard on the Black Edition.

Now I am just waiting for that "Black Edition" pack to come out for the Sportback (I'm researching for a new family load-lugger, not a coupé ;))...

From Audi:
In addition to S line
model equipment:

Wheels, tyres and suspension

19” x 9J ‘5-arm rotor’ design titanium finish alloy
wheels with 255/35 R19 tyres
Audio and communication
Audi Music Interface
Bang & Olufsen sound system
DAB digital radio
Mobile telephone preparation – Bluetooth
interface
Interior equipment
Piano Finish black inlays
Exterior equipment
Black styling package – radiator grille-frame in
highly polished black, with radiator grille and
number plate holder in matt black.
Privacy glass, dark tinted from B pillar backwards

I'm almost positive I saw a red A5 Sportback with the Black Edition pack at East Kent Audi's showroom when I went for my first test drive. In fact, its just to the side of the one I was originally looking at (posted pics in this thread).

Here you can see the alloys;
silvera5001.jpg

And here you can (just about) see the black radiator trim;
silvera5002.jpg

Poor pictures to gawp at but proof that it exists nonetheless!

Congrats matey, just got the same car my self a week ago absolutley love it!! changed from a white A3 170 sprtback, A5 aint as quick but alot smoother to drive

Much heavier, and a little more of a workout to step in and out of!
But thanks, you too. It's a beautiful car to drive- though I'm really not sure where they pulled the 55MPG combined figure from! Are you getting anywhere near that?

Nice work gents.... I'm just waiting for the Sportback Black Edition and then I'll take the plunge!

edit: doh! just seen that was my comment previously.... still waiting.... think I've got a few months to go yet....

Then to decide: 2.0T Quattro Steptronic, 2.0TDI Quattro manual or S5.... The S5 is going to be an interesting one, but I think a step too far.... I kinda fancy the auto and can't justify the 3.0TDI extra cost given I really don't do enough miles... plus my 155.9p/litre fill up last week finally convinced me that the government REALLY don't want us to use diesel.... 2.0T, probably in steptronic....

Last edited:
Nah you wont get 55mpg we are getting 40+ most of the time, learnt of my last one to brake with gears and the mpg shoots up! Got to go on a few motorway journeys and we are getting close to and above 50mpg. Stop start is good but none of the Audis we have had are that economical.

Indeed I've noticed that too- would be curious to see if thats actual economy or just the MPG estimation being jumbled by the high speed+low gear+low rpm. Though I suppose if anything that would cause it to show a lower MPG.

Either way- was just flabbergasted at the 55 combined (70 highway?!) figure that the dealers tout. Good to know that it's not just me driving too enthusiastically! :)

I was pretty shocked when I had to go and tank up, it was a big drop from what was touted in the showroom. But then I have been rather enthusiastic with breathing on the accelorator shall we say. Will let you know how I get on. .

Hey Guys,

Another a5 black edition owner here. Picked mine up about 4 weeks ago after only going in for a browse! The showroom car just looked too good and with just 10 miles on the clock the sales man got the better of me....

Ive got the 2.0 TDI and after about 1k am just about averaging 45MPG on my 60 mile commute to work. Must say i'm quite dissapointed with this figure and am hoping itlll jump up higher once the engine has bedded in a little more.

Speaking of which how are you guys bedding your cars in? I took it gently initially but im starting to rev it up higher as ive read on a few forums you should push it harder once youve hit the 1k + mark.

My A3 was supposed to do 55mpg but we got it to 43 overall and we do a fair bit of city and some long runs on the motorway. The A5 will be slightly better but I dont think it will ever achieve the 55mpg. I dont think I even took note of the mpg figures to be quoted as I fell in love with the car as soon as I saw it. What we have noticed is that the car turns more heads than anything else. I had the R8 a couple of times (thanks Audi) and boy did that turn heads but the A5 does the same and people take second glances at it. THe only grumble that I have is that you dont get a vusual display and the A3 had cruise control and the A5 does not. The wheels cant be repaired so we are parking it further away from everything. The car is a beast tho. Might consider a remap for performance and econimy next year but in no rush.

Have any of you guys noticed the steering being a bit wobbly while accelarating?? Wobbly is the only word I can describe it as?

If you mean pulling off, try turning off ESP- I noticed that too and make a habit of disabling it for... enthusiastic starts :p
What version of the A5 did you get ducks? Not sure what you mean by visual display but the cruise control was a free option with something else on mine. Maybe the tech pack? Its one of the cheapest things to retrofit from what I've seen and heard- the dealer might even do it for you!

My dealer (or rather, salesman) was pretty up front about it being at least 10MPG lower than what is posted- said to take them all with a pinch of salt. Should have probably said a few fist fulls, but yeah nonetheless its a car I definitely look forward to returning to whenever I go out!

As far as breaking it in goes shambles, I was told by my dealer that its really not necessary... not that I take their word as gospel. I literally went on a 250 mile drive from the dealer to the south of NL on the day I picked her up- my miles are in long trips rather than commutes so after 5 weeks I've still only done 750 miles!

I did look into premium diesels but apparently unlike premium petrols I'm told that they don't give better performance or economy they are just cleaner for the engine (in which case, I'd rather use redex or equivalent!). Any of you guys heard or seen figures to the contrary?

It does happen when I accelarate but it never happened in the A3 which was faster than the A5 especially during take off. Im putting it down to bigger wheels. The display thing. On the A8 we have the display shows the front and rear bumper and the distance where the a5 one beeps with no image. I got a stock 2.0 tdi 170 black edition didnt have any of the packs on. Still loving the motor

Thanks happysack!

Just gave her a thorough clean today, gonna be tucked away in the garage now until Thursday before I take her on a 300 mile trip across Europe!

264767_2135848952410_1131685387_2485164_7887093_n.jpg

267622_2135851632477_1131685387_2485169_3425573_n.jpg

268981_2135853272518_1131685387_2485172_738429_n.jpg

We're best friends... when she's good n' clean :D

Great looking car Ben.

Just joined as I have been looking up about the Black Ediiton, prompted by the facelift and found this site.

I'm a compnay car driver and currently have an A4 S-Line which is being replaced on September 1st. I ordered an A5 Black Edition in March, and after test drives I went with the 2.0T 180PS. Tax was obviously a factor for me, and the A4 is a 2.0tdi 143PS. Drove both the petrol cars and was happy enough with the 180PS. I don't do a lot of mileage and the ever increasing price of diesel was making it not worth my while as the lease on the diesel was a fair bit more. So, just a few weeks to wait now. I have ordered:

A5 Couple Black Edition 2.0T 180PS
IBIS White
Half leather/alcantara with white stitching
20" Twin 7 Spoke Alloy Wheels
Heated Seats
Interior Light Pack
Comfort Pack
Model/Engine Deletion

As the diesel lease was higher, I ordered the cheaper petrol and added the extras I wanted. I didn't like the Black Edition wheels on a white car which is why I went for the 20s ( and I'm not buying the tyres ). They do look good on the other colours though

I was a bit annoyed when I saw the facelift, but I actually prefer the LED lights as they are now. May change my mind when I see the facelifted one in the flesh, but never mind.

I'll post some piccies when she arrives.

Nice motor mate...........have one on order myself arriving Sept 1st !!

I did look into premium diesels but apparently unlike premium petrols I'm told that they don't give better performance or economy they are just cleaner for the engine (in which case, I'd rather use redex or equivalent!). Any of you guys heard or seen figures to the contrary?

You can get "high Cetane" diesels that will give you more power/economy... not sure what most are at UK pumps though - I'm sure they'd be quoting it if they were though - that said, the numbers wouldn't look very impressive (Cetane numbers are about half or even less compared to Octane"RON" ratings).

And yes, I'm still holding out for the Black Edition Sportback... lets hope they bring out out after the facelift... until then, my dad's just bought a 2011 A6 Black Edition, so I can always borrow that (he's away a LOT: he's just retired and off on holidays most of the time).

Fifth gear did a test of premium diesel fuel and it gave an extra 5-7hp.

I'm sure it is on youtube if you want to check it out.

Premium unleaded on the other hand gives no extra performance based on test results

Superb looking car - saving for an A5 once I'm done with my A3.

Superb looking car - saving for an A5 once I'm done with my A3.

@Baffles
You won't regret the transition but you'll never stop missing your A3-- in an ideal world I would keep both as they're both superb cars. When I'm carting around dirty stuff or taking lots of passengers I drive a 2011 VW Passat and its in that driving seat where I find myself missing the A3 a lot. Not that I would have carted around garbage in my A3 of course!! :p

@lostbok & @splatty
I've been spending a hell of a lot of time in Europe over the past 6 months and I can't believe how much cheaper Diesel is here. Its feels un-believable. In the Netherlands I pick up a full tank of Shell VPower Premium Diesel for around (sometimes less than) €60! Even with the premium stuff it works out at about 15-20p cheaper than in the UK! On the flip side of the coin, Petrol is more expensive here by 10-15p than the UK. But that, the 310 lbf/ft of torque, and the resale value are the main reasons I went for a Diesel.

Did your car arrive on time last month splatty? How have the first couple of months treated you- are you still besotted with it? :D

P.S. My company does a lot of business with VW in the Netherlands and I decided to take the plunge and get a re-map with one of the more liberal places in the south. Worth every penny- for those that might be interested.