Picking up my 8P RS3 this afternoon

BillTheButcher

Reaction score
After a considerable period of absence from Audi ownership I'm picking up an 8P RS3 tomorrow.
icon_smile.gif

It's never going to be as sharp, as precise or as angry as the Lotus V6 Exige S that it's replacing (in fairness I've never driven anything that was) but I absolutely love the noise, the pace, the interior and the gearbox of the RS.

My drive in a Golf R (the other car I was considering) beforehand confirmed my thoughts from driving the DSG version last year. A competent car but not in the least bit exciting even when I was pushing on. The manual 'box livened things up a bit but not nearly enough. And the noise that's pumped into the cabin was as pitiful as I remembered it being.

The biggest surprise getting into the '3 was how much nicer the cabin is than the Golf's. The last Audi I drove was my old C5 RS6. I didn't realise interiors had moved on so much by the 8P.

I'm very happy with my decision. I know the RS3 isn't to everyone's taste but I really like it and I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it.
icon_cool.gif

I'd like to make the most of the noise (even with S pressed I feel it could do with being a bit louder especially in the cabin) so a catback will probably be in order before too long.

Reactions: mister.c., Ozmosis, T-800 and 2 others
Good to hear that even people used to a "proper" drivers car still appreciate the RS3. Good choice!

TX.

Reactions: Ozmosis, jimojameso, 45bvtc and 2 others
I'm sure you'll love it.
I put a Milltek catback on mine and now it sounds perfect.

Reactions: 45bvtc and BillTheButcher
Good to hear that even people used to a "proper" drivers car still appreciate the RS3. Good choice!

TX.
Thank you. :salute:

The Exige is the most immersive, inconvenient, incredible, irritating, mind-blowing, annoying car I've ever driven. :grinning:

As my only car, I was starting to resent its idiosyncracies. I could have bought a cheap second car but then I'd never have used the Lotus.

The RS3 seems like a good compromise of performance and practicality. :yes:

I'm sure you'll love it.
I put a Milltek catback on mine and now it sounds perfect.
Cheers. :)

Milltek catback sounds about right. Someone told me that cat bypass pipes make a decent difference to the sound too. Do you know if these would make it fail an MOT?

Reactions: 45bvtc
I'm running Milltek catback with Milltek secondary cat deletes and it sounds excellent.
The cat deletes should be an MOT failure but I suppose it depends who does it.
An Audi dealer would notice they're missing but a normal MOT centre wouldn't know they were meant to be there!
As for emissions the car passes no problem with them removed as the main cat is still in the front pipe.
There's a set of cat bypass pipes for sale on the rs3 forum for £90.
You maybe happy with the sound with the pipes and standard cat back

Reactions: 45bvtc, T-800 and BillTheButcher

The Exige is the most immersive, inconvenient, incredible, irritating, mind-blowing, annoying car I've ever driven. :grinning:

As my only car, I was starting to resent its idiosyncracies. I could have bought a cheap second car but then I'd never have used the Lotus.

The RS3 seems like a good compromise of performance and practicality. :yes:

Cheers. :)

Milltek catback sounds about right. Someone told me that cat bypass pipes make a decent difference to the sound too. Do you know if these would make it fail an MOT?

Been Lotus since 1972 BillTheButcher starting with a Lotus Europa Twin Cam and moving on to a Lotus Elan Plus 2S 130/5 and adding a Lotus Elan Sprint along the way; as well as maintaining numerous Lotus of all denominations along the way: the 8P Audi RS3 for me is the closest thing to a Lotus Elan I've ever experienced, hope you feel the same.

My Lotus experience started here, one H A P P Y but holes-in-pockets day in 1972:

01%20Build_zpsyeg5ixcx.jpg

OK, so today's Wednesday, have you calmed down yet?

PS: I was down with Paul Matty on Saturday, a man I know well, and he me, over many years, and was amazed to find that he has 'SID' tucked away in the back of his showroom: now for the younger element who've never heard of 'SID' go search for Lotus Esprit 'SID' and look at the technology...

Reactions: BillTheButcher
My S3 Exige S was the first Lotus I've ever owned. I was considering an S2 but once I drove the S3 I was completely smitten. I placed my order two days after the test drive.

the 8P Audi RS3 for me is the closest thing to a Lotus Elan I've ever experienced, hope you feel the same.

Wow. I've never driven an Elan but hearing any Audi being compared to a Lotus is quite a shock. Have you ever made a similar statement on SELOC or TLF? :sign ban::smile new:

To be honest, almost everyone I've spoken to about the RS3 has praised the engine but then followed it with derogatory comments about the steering or mentioned how nose-heavy it is. Admittedly I've only done about 50 miles in it but so far I'm absolutely loving it. :)

OK, so today's Wednesday, have you calmed down yet?
I'm going to be taking it out for a good run on Saturday. Can't wait.:salute:

Reactions: 45bvtc
No, I can well compare my Elan Sprint 5 to my Audi RS3; I had the Elan for 37-Years and its new owner visits regularly for TLC and that allows me to re-evaluate...

P1000823x_zpsxtueeguh.jpg

P1010970MA29781501-0001_zpsb6e32644.jpg

Just can't believe how small an Elan is against an RS3 - and we used to take it for 3-week holidays to the South of France...

Happy days...

Enjoy the RS3, I'm 100% sure you will

Welcome Billthebutcher excellent choice of motor vehicle :redrs4:

Reactions: 45bvtc and BillTheButcher
Get some pictures up bill ;)

Last edited:
Welcome bill. We would love some pics please. :) x

We did a 500-mile round trip in it at the weekend. What a car. I love it. :sunglasses:

I tried the gearbox in M for the first time on the way. I'm never using the auto modes again! Being able to provoke upshift snorts and downshift blips at will is seriously addictive. :D

Here are a few pictures taken on my phone. Excuse the dirt. I took the scenic route to Oulton Park on Friday evening and the car got plastered in mud from the country lanes.

Reactions: cpc_s3 and Ozmosis
Mine is caked in muck etc Blooming British weather!

TX.

PS liking the debadged look ;)

Bill.

Why does yours look different at the front lower grille vs mine eg I have a black "spoiler" bisecting the grey part?

2d0h0th.jpg
qwyqtk.jpg

TX.

Reactions: cpc_s3
Jeez, I do get easily confused :eek:

TX.

Reactions: Sandra and BillTheButcher
Bill.

Why does yours look different at the front lower grille vs mine eg I have a black "spoiler" bisecting the grey part?

2d0h0th.jpg
qwyqtk.jpg

TX.

Oh dear TX! hahaha!

Reactions: jimojameso, Sandra and BillTheButcher
Cracking looking motor Bill! :hubbahubba:

Stunning car bill :) enjoy

I have Milltek catback and cat bypass and it was failed by Audi (having assurd me that it wouldn't) because the cats should be there rather than that the emissions were excessive. I took it to local MoT station and it passed... :shrug:

I have Milltek catback and cat bypass and it was failed by Audi (having assurd me that it wouldn't) because the cats should be there rather than that the emissions were excessive. I took it to local MoT station and it passed... :shrug:
I gave my old decatted B5 RS4 a decent run on the way to the MOT station; it almost passed as it was. :racer:

Almost identical to mine mate!

If your looking for a little bit extra noise i have some millet secondary cat bypass pipes which i used for about 150 miles before taking them off! They are only taking up space in my garage so let me know if you want to buy them!

Thanks, Josh. :)

Can I ask a couple of questions?

1. Why did you remove them so soon after fitting?
2. Will it fail an MOT with these bypass pipes?

Cheers.

Hi mate!

I got offered a turbo back scorpion from a friend for a steal so couldn't turn it down! I'm sure I have the purchase receipt and they come with all the nuts and bolts for the flanges.

I don't think it would pass an mot unless someone else can confirm?

However, it is only about a 20-30 minute job to swap them back to the originals!

Josh

I'm running these on mine.
If you take it to Audi for mot they will fail it because the cats are missing although it will pass the emissions test without problem.

What I and most others with these fitted do is get your mot done elsewhere.
They usually don't even notice they're missing and as the car passes the emissions check all is well.
As Josh has already said the worst case scenario is a 30 min job swapping them over.

Thanks, both. :)

My car won't ever be going anywhere near an official Audi dealer. If it will pass on emissions with the bypass pipes in place then that's good enough for me.

Josh, can you PM me with your location and asking price? Cheers.

Thanks, both. :)

My car won't ever be going anywhere near an official Audi dealer. If it will pass on emissions with the bypass pipes in place then that's good enough for me.

Josh, can you PM me with your location and asking price? Cheers.

Bill - are you still after a catback exhaust / secondary cat bypass ? Mine is now for sale .... PM me if interested

Agreed yesterday to trade the RS3 with the Milltek on as its going to cost money to remove and return would be minimal. I know lazy...

nice. great little car looks very subtle. brilliant with miltek cat back!!!!

nice. great little car looks very subtle. brilliant with miltek cat back!!!!
Thanks. :)

I'd have bought Colin's but, as above, he's trading it with the car so I'm still on the lookout.

There's somebody selling a cobra one on the RS3 forum for £200?
Not sure if they're in the same league as Milltek though

I run Milltek but have fitted Scorpion for others and there's little if any difference other than the Milltek flanges are mild steel and the Scorpion stainless steel; the Milltek do have a 'not for road use' plate on each pipe but a sharp chisel has them off in no time....

Not%20for%20road%20use_zpsjschqtwi.jpg