SQ5 Pirelli P Zero winter performance wowsers

Reaction score
Just back from driving the SQ5 about 8miles on snowy slushy roads in 1-2C temps on its std Pirelli PZero OEM tyres. Possibly the scariest 8miles I’ve ever driven. Car felt like it was floating down the dual carriageway at 30mph front and rear twitching and moving around on a closed throttle. Googled the tyres and others experiences and as they are a dedicated summer tyre (which I knew), Pirelli say don’t drive with them in temps less than 7C (which I wasnt aware). Had no idea how bad they were in the cold. Have been great in the dry and wet so far. How can Audi Uk get away with making them std fitment here given our weather patterns?

Think it’s always been the case with all car manufacturers. They all sell winter wheels and tyres if you want them on top of the factory fitted tyres. I can only assume Audi thinks you should know your sh1t and switch tyres when weather turns which most won’t.
I’ve been running winter tyres for 10 years+. You are missing a trick, Quattro and winter tyres pretty much gets you anywhere and needs to be experienced.

Reactions: 8YARWY
I’m sure winter tyres are great, but so far haven’t had the need to experience stumping up £1k+ in order to drive my car safely when it gets a bit cold. Have driven many winters in very sketchy conditions with Michelin, Bridgestone and continental all season tyres without an issue, but hadn’t factored in the apparent crapness of these Pirelli’s. It’s not like there is a warning from the dealer or in the owners manual.

Just back from driving the SQ5 about 8miles on snowy slushy roads in 1-2C temps on its std Pirelli PZero OEM tyres. Possibly the scariest 8miles I’ve ever driven. Car felt like it was floating down the dual carriageway at 30mph front and rear twitching and moving around on a closed throttle. Googled the tyres and others experiences and as they are a dedicated summer tyre (which I knew), Pirelli say don’t drive with them in temps less than 7C (which I wasnt aware). Had no idea how bad they were in the cold. Have been great in the dry and wet so far. How can Audi Uk get away with making them std fitment here given our weather patterns?

All summer tyres operate best over 7deg, not just Pirelli. Have had a few winter sets before, they are ****** brilliant that is all that needs saying

Reactions: AlS3BE
Never used dedicated winter tyres, there's no need in this country if you know how to drive in these conditions.

I think for most part in this country all season tyres will be more than adequate for most.
folk who want more performance in all conditions will have dedicated sets.

I’m sure winter tyres are great, but so far haven’t had the need to experience stumping up £1k+ in order to drive my car safely when it gets a bit cold. Have driven many winters in very sketchy conditions with Michelin, Bridgestone and continental all season tyres without an issue, but hadn’t factored in the apparent crapness of these Pirelli’s. It’s not like there is a warning from the dealer or in the owners manual.

In my experience it doesn’t really cost much more to have a dedicated set.
my last a6 I had a set of Audi oe winter alloys and tyres which I paid around £7-800. When I sold the car I sold the wheels with winter tyres for £650. Total cost was under £150 but factor in I drove around 20k + miles on them and saved the wear on the Michelin summers I would say that’s a win, can’t even get 1 Michelin for £150. It’s not much hardship swapping wheels twice a year.

Reactions: NevMan
I think for most part in this country all season tyres will be more than adequate for most.
folk who want more performance in all conditions will have dedicated sets.

In my experience it doesn’t really cost much more to have a dedicated set.
my last a6 I had a set of Audi oe winter alloys and tyres which I paid around £7-800. When I sold the car I sold the wheels with winter tyres for £650. Total cost was under £150 but factor in I drove around 20k + miles on them and saved the wear on the Michelin summers I would say that’s a win, can’t even get 1 Michelin for £150. It’s not much hardship swapping wheels twice a year.

What doesn’t help either are larger wheels. I recall my 2018 Q5, about 2 weeks old on 20”s driving out of current at the time housing estate at about 5mph. A turn to the left and started sliding on black ice towards parked cars. Luckily didn’t hit anything, but when I have had winters on cars have never slid at all. And as stated above the outlay is often recouped mostly.

What doesn’t help either are larger wheels. I recall my 2018 Q5, about 2 weeks old on 20”s driving out of current at the time housing estate at about 5mph. A turn to the left and started sliding on black ice towards parked cars. Luckily didn’t hit anything, but when I have had winters on cars have never slid at all. And as stated above the outlay is often recouped mostly.
Low profile and ultrawide tyres doesn’t help much in ice and snow. The tread blocks in summer tyres are wide and flat, in ice/snow you want small and narrow to cut into the snow/ice.
Winters and all season have a softer compound that doesn’t harden in the cold like normal summer tyres. It’s when the rubber hardens that’s when summer tyres become less effective and almost useless in some conditions. Doesn’t matter if you have 4wd or 8wd if the rubber on the ground can’t stick to anything to get you moving.

Reactions: NevMan
Low profile and ultrawide tyres doesn’t help much in ice and snow. The tread blocks in summer tyres are wide and flat, in ice/snow you want small and narrow to cut into the snow/ice.
Winters and all season have a softer compound that doesn’t harden in the cold like normal summer tyres. It’s when the rubber hardens that’s when summer tyres become less effective and almost useless in some conditions. Doesn’t matter if you have 4wd or 8wd if the rubber on the ground can’t stick to anything to get you moving.

Absolutely, but some always say “if you drive to the conditions” until it goes wrong. Some are more Ari Vatinen than others

Absolutely, but some always say “if you drive to the conditions” until it goes wrong. Some are more Ari Vatinen than others

Now the RS has departed and the snow has well and truly arrived we went out in the Golf 7 GTD today with winters fitted, amazing when you see so many numpties doing bizarre things in the icy/ snowy conditions going way to fast, braking late and sliding almost onto the pavement.

Never struggled once and we live up a pretty steep incline, passing plenty that were stuck and doing all sorts of stooopid things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and AlS3BE
Now the RS has departed and the snow has well and truly arrived we went out in the Golf 7 GTD today with winters fitted, amazing when you see so many numpties doing bizarre things in the icy/ snowy conditions going way to fast, braking late and sliding almost onto the pavement.

Never struggled once and we live up a pretty steep incline, passing plenty that were stuck and doing all sorts of stooopid things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you say, people do drive like d*cos I’m this weather with summers on, so get when people say drive to the conditions, however as you are well aware, with winters on there is never drama

Reactions: AlS3BE and 8YARWY