Pitted A pillar trims - why and how ?

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Anyone else had this ?

Nqdx7sft

My car is 6 months old and I've never seen anything like this before - none of my army of cleaning products are able to shift it. To me it looks like hard water staining but I've never had a problem with similar trim pieces on any other car I've had. I use a branded snow foam think its Auto Finesse at the mo and Gyeon range of products for cleaning. So any ideas why this has happened and also how to prevent it happening again ?

I've resigned myself to not being able to remedy this so have ordered a new pair at £27 the pair including VAT but I don't really want to be replacing them every 6 months. Thinking maybe of putting a coat of clear lacquer on them ?, maybe there is a protective cleaning product I can coat them with from new ?

Cheers !

not seen this on mine Rob but would be interested to know how to try to delay/minimise that appearing in future.
I'm sure @Bristle Hound or @jassyo06 will know of a product that can sort that. My default for protection in future would be Gtechniq C2 - great product.

Anyone else had this ?

Nqdx7sft

My car is 6 months old and I've never seen anything like this before - none of my army of cleaning products are able to shift it. To me it looks like hard water staining but I've never had a problem with similar trim pieces on any other car I've had. I use a branded snow foam think its Auto Finesse at the mo and Gyeon range of products for cleaning. So any ideas why this has happened and also how to prevent it happening again ?

I've resigned myself to not being able to remedy this so have ordered a new pair at £27 the pair including VAT but I don't really want to be replacing them every 6 months. Thinking maybe of putting a coat of clear lacquer on them ?, maybe there is a protective cleaning product I can coat them with from new ?

Cheers !
@Rob2k68 - Are the trims rubber or a similar material?
The one's on my S4 are a rubber type material & I've been testing various products on mine recently

I use Carpro PERL on my S1 for rubbers & trim. It works on plastic, engine bays, rubber & leather (Hence why it's called PERL!). Keeps the colour nicely, offers a good protective coating and it is nice and easy to apply.

Got this on mine, its a rubber coating on hard plastic. If you look behind it you will see the original plastic. So even if you get new ones you will end up with it looking the same as the elements will have the same effect on tbat rubber layer, ive found nothing that would protect it or even absorb into it, as i think its just a thin rubber coating, gummi pledge , black wow, just sits on top of it.

I had this exact issue after a heavy hail storm! some marks just like that but also some very minor denting. Lucky they are easy to replace and not too expensive ( £15-20 each i think ). They are called rain deflectors and simply pull out then push the new ones in to place. I tried everything to make them look better but in the end just bit the bullet and threw a new pair on.

I wipe mine over with Aerospace 308 along with all the rubber trims on the car. Seems to work and look ok.