Playing music from USB - Issues

Reaction score
I have a 2017 B9 S5 and I seem to be really struggling to play all music from my USB stick. Not all songs are detected I've noticed when I browse by genre (one genre only detects around 12 songs out of 100+). I've tried formatting the stick as FAT32 as well as NTFS but still have the same issue so it's not related to formatting. I have 35GB of music on my USB stick with around 3000 songs in MP3 format which I believe is within tolerance of what the Audi MMI can handle (50,000 files max I've read).

1. Is there a way to get all relevant songs to show up when I select a genre?
2. Is it possible to browse by folder?
3. Would an MMI version update resolve the issue? If yes, how do I go about doing this?

I have a 2017 B9 S5 and I seem to be really struggling to play all music from my USB stick. Not all songs are detected I've noticed when I browse by genre (one genre only detects around 12 songs out of 100+). I've tried formatting the stick as FAT32 as well as NTFS but still have the same issue so it's not related to formatting. I have 35GB of music on my USB stick with around 3000 songs in MP3 format which I believe is within tolerance of what the Audi MMI can handle (50,000 files max I've read).

1. Is there a way to get all relevant songs to show up when I select a genre?
2. Is it possible to browse by folder?
3. Would an MMI version update resolve the issue? If yes, how do I go about doing this?
Be lucky to find an answer for this mate, most people now just use Spotify and the likes, it's far easier! Come to think of it I have an SD card in mine, can't remember the last time I listened to anything off it though...it's all on Spotify :)

It is either the SD card or the radio for me.

I suspect the OP's issues might be more be related to whether or not the applicable ''metadata' is being correctly stored in each file.

Reactions: quattrorally
I have the issue when I browse by Genre or any other metadata related item. I never had this issue in my BMWs. I've managed to work around the issue though by breaking each genre into its own folder. I wonder if an update to the MMI software would resolve the issue but I've no idea how to do this so case closed lol.

Just noticed that not all my music is coming up even when I play music by folder. Tried formatting from NTFS to exFAT and the MMI says the stick is unreadable so I don't think it's compatible with that format. Going to buy an SD card and move my music onto that to see if it's any better. What a pain!

Reactions: quattrorally
Just noticed that not all my music is coming up even when I play music by folder. Tried formatting from NTFS to exFAT and the MMI says the stick is unreadable so I don't think it's compatible with that format. Going to buy an SD card and move my music onto that to see if it's any better. What a pain!
Have you reset the media option on the mmi back to factory settings - might be worth try

Have you reset the media option on the mmi back to factory settings - might be worth try
Will give that a try. I've read that a USB HDD seems to work but I didn't have any luck with my Samsung 1TB HDD today which is formatted to NTFS.

If the MMI media reset doesn't work, I'll need to buy an SD card and hope for the best.

Failing that, I'll need to buy a sim with a lot more data so I can stream my music directly from my Synology NAS if that's even possible.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Will give that a try. I've read that a USB HDD seems to work but I didn't have any luck with my Samsung 1TB HDD today which is formatted to NTFS.

If the MMI media reset doesn't work, I'll need to buy an SD card and hope for the best.

Failing that, I'll need to buy a sim with a lot more data so I can stream my music directly from my Synology NAS if that's even possible.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Hi not sure that a usb hdd is supported but I might be wrong. Have you tried an ordinary usb stick. I’m currently using a 250gb one which holds more than enough

Hi not sure that a usb hdd is supported but I might be wrong. Have you tried an ordinary usb stick. I’m currently using a 250gb one which holds more than enough

Already tried that and it only reads the first 1105 MP3 files and doesn't detect anything after that. I can't even browse by Genre correctly when all the files (3000+) are in one folder!

I've tried doing the MMI reset and then tried my USB HDD formatted as exFAT and it still wasn't readable so at least I can rule out that the MMI doesn't support this file standard. I've given up with making it work with my USB stick.

This means my file system choices are FAT32 or NTFS. FAT32 isn't an option for me due to its obvious limitations.

If the above fails, then my next option is to buy an SD card and try playing the music from that.

Already tried that and it only reads the first 1105 MP3 files and doesn't detect anything after that. I can't even browse by Genre correctly when all the files (3000+) are in one folder!

I've tried doing the MMI reset and then tried my USB HDD formatted as exFAT and it still wasn't readable so at least I can rule out that the MMI doesn't support this file standard. I've given up with making it work with my USB stick.

This means my file system choices are FAT32 or NTFS. FAT32 isn't an option for me due to its obvious limitations.

If the above fails, then my next option is to buy an SD card and try playing the music from that.
There is a limit of 1000 files per playlist / directory. you could try Splitting them up?