Q7 Please help timing chain possibly jumped

786sam

Reaction score
Was driving fine the night before. The next morning the car sounds like a tractor and there's no revs!!

Got an audi tech to check errors but none at all. I have come to the conclusion there is a mechanical fault. Possibly timing chain has jumped a teeth or 2 :(

Has this ever happened to anyone else? There's also loads of white smoke coming from the exhaust which smells of unburnt fuel. Please check YouTube vid for the noise it's making and also staking quite violently.

Only revs a little when warmed up 90'c and also hesitates when put in gear (500-600 rpm)

Can anyone shed some light please

Lawyers in Australia and the USA are examining claims against Audi that several of their cars have been fitted with defective timing chains and tensioners, resulting in early engine failure and unsafe vehicles. Is anything being pursued in the UK about this issue?

Vehicles affected are: 2008 - 2012 A3, A4, A5, Q3, Q5, TT

My granddaughter’s A3 timing chain slipped and wrecked the engine at 88,000 miles.

Mines done just over 150k miles so I think it might be out of any kind of warranty available unfortunately

Noted with thanks. My granddaughter’s affected car is an Audi A3 Sport 197 TFSi 2008 1984cc and it’s vin identifies the engine brand, size and type as ZZZ8P.

No mate I have had every tom **** and Harry plugging in their computers but nothing!!
Have you got similar symptoms? If just checked some YouTube vids and some say it could be injector seals/washers? Not sure at all...

Yes very exact same thing tho mine started noising on the motorway so stopped and topped up oil as it was low and overdue a service so I thought maybe an oil channel up to the tappets got clogged, got the car home and done an engine flush and replaced oil and filter, done about 10 miles and now engine is shaking,no revs and sounds exactly like your video

Possibly an injector sticking open. What year is the car? Worth doing a compression test . If the timing had slipped I would expect that a fault code would be generated.

Yes very exact same thing tho mine started noising on the motorway so stopped and topped up oil as it was low and overdue a service so I thought maybe an oil channel up to the tappets got clogged, got the car home and done an engine flush and replaced oil and filter, done about 10 miles and now engine is shaking,no revs and sounds exactly like your video
I'm thinking of taking the injectors out 1 by 1 and checking the injector seals/washer... Will post back with results

Possibly an injector sticking open. What year is the car? Worth doing a compression test . If the timing had slipped I would expect that a fault code would be generated.
Mine is a 2008 model.. my brother had a similar symptom on a Mercedes 220d and mentioned he had 1 faulty injector and that had sorted the issue... is there a tool that's not too expensive for me to test for compression at home?

Thanx for the vids. Very informative. I have just taken the MAF out and now the car revs freely but still shakes violently and smokes like **** lol

Can I recondition the injectors myself using brake cleaner and air?

Sam I have all fingers crossed here mine is 2008 aswell I really hope this is an injector and not chain

Update....
I was trying to take the injectors off when suddenly I see something loose near injector 5 on passenger side.. it's in the engine side not on top. Looks like it's a rocker follower or something like that. Looked like a small plate or something. Will be taking the cover off to see what's going down.

Any tips or advise I would be greatful

What a nightmare!! I thought it was just the injectors but what I found is 5 out of 6 rocker followers had smashed and were making the rattling noise!! Here are some pics to follow

has anyone any guides on how to take the camshafts out without disrupting the timing and also allows me access to the disintegrated cam followers...

Depending on how handy you are, that looks like a job for a professional :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not good at all. With that much damage the only thing I can think is the timing has slipped and there has been contact between valves and pistons. The rockers are sacrificial being the weakest point in the system.

No mechanic wants to touch it!!!
Looks like just gotta find some lucky guy looking for a project... My poor baby :(

Thank you guys but this baby is going up for sale..... I might be back... :)
Hope yours is ok brownie q7 bro