Please help!

1fastben

Reaction score
Here's the problem: my car isn't running right due to something related to the intake, something electrical. I can start the car, but if it stays running after that, its just barely doing so. If I attempt to give it any gas, it dies immediatly. So with it running, I unplugged the MAF sensor and the idle evens out. Okay. I just replaced the MAF sensor with another used one (the sensor is warrenteed, so it should work) but the same thing happens. Anyone know if maybe I just have another bad sensor, or if its a relay, or what?
:sos:

Here's the situation: my car will hardly start, and when it does, it barely even stays idling.

Also, when it idles, its lower than usual, and if I give it any gas
it will die immediatly.

So I disconnected the MAF sensor and the idle evened out and I was able to give it gas just fine; but I can't drive it that way, cause then I couldn't run any boost because it would be lean on fuel. Then I plugged the MAF sensor back in and it died quickly.

I replaced the MAF sensor w/ a used one, (new probably don't
exist any more?) and it does the same thing.

Does this sound like another faulty MAF sensor or could it be something else entirely?

warranted ? Does that just mean that they will give a refund if its broken? Has it been tested? Or can you try in another vehicle?

whats the engine / vehicle?

Sounds like another duff maf to me.

I guess my question is, what makes you think the MAF is the cause of the problem? Without a diagnostic scan, you can't know what might be forcing the engine to run so poorly.

If I were working on the car, I would be looking at the live fuel trim data if it were available on my scan tool. Without that information, I don't think I could conclude anything about the cause of my problem.

Also, when posting here looking for help, some info on the car would be helpful to those who would like to assist.

Sorry for not saying earlier; my car is a 1990 Coupe Quattro 5cyl 20v.

What made me think it was the MAF is that when I unplugged it, the idle evens out and if I plug it back in it either dies of the idle goes way lower than usual.

1990 Coupe Quattro will not have much diagnostic capability. I'm afraid I won't be any help with your car. I simply do not know enough about it.

I hope someone else will chime in and assist you.

bar for the mention of unplugging the MAF it sounds to me like the idle stabilisation valve. i had that on my 20v. are you sure it's the MAF you unplugged, in all my 7 years of ownership i never came across a faulty MAF on the 20v