Votes: 4 57.1%
  • A6 C8 50tdi

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Buxton2901

Reaction score

Please vote S4 or A6 C8 50tdi

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Personally, and I fully admit I have not driven an S4, I would go for the A6. The S4 you are considering is 5 years old and I think the B9 platform is only a mild refresh of the B8 platform, so essentially getting quite long in the tooth. The C8 platform is new and that should be beneficial. When I have driven A4s as loan cars I have always got back into the A6 (both C7 and C8) and felt it was a much nicer place to be. I haf considered a B9 A4 Avant rather than the C8 and realised the price difference was very marginal, once you had added to the A4 waht was missing from the A6 and the C8 seems better built. It is also larger. If space is not an issue then the S4 may suit you. Clearly the driving experience of the S4 will be different to the A6 and that mayoverride the other points. Hard choice :friendly wink:

Reactions: Buxton2901
Space is an issue as we have 2 dogs but I'm worried the 50tdi will feel underpowered compared to my c7 Bitdi
Hence why I'm considering an s4

I suspect you may notice a bigger difference when it comes to actual day to day driving going from the Diesel A6 of either type to the petrol S4 than you will between the two diesel A6 options. I have certainly noticed it going fromt he 40TDi to the 40TFSi engine. The 50TDi and BiTDi are not that far apart when it comes to Torque or PS

C8 better built ????. There's currently lots of chatter on here about rattles and tech glitches.

C8 better built ????. There's currently lots of chatter on here about rattles and tech glitches.
Subjective I know but the plastics used and the finish just seemed better in my then 2 year old A6 than a brand new A4 I had a loan car. I was also not a fan of the permanently up MMI screen, it seemed vey flimsey and at risk of being snapped off. In both my C8s I have fortunately not had the rattle issues others have had (so far!!)

Personally, and I fully admit I have not driven an S4, I would go for the A6. The S4 you are considering is 5 years old and I think the B9 platform is only a mild refresh of the B8 platform, so essentially getting quite long in the tooth. The C8 platform is new and that should be beneficial. When I have driven A4s as loan cars I have always got back into the A6 (both C7 and C8) and felt it was a much nicer place to be. I haf considered a B9 A4 Avant rather than the C8 and realised the price difference was very marginal, once you had added to the A4 waht was missing from the A6 and the C8 seems better built. It is also larger. If space is not an issue then the S4 may suit you. Clearly the driving experience of the S4 will be different to the A6 and that mayoverride the other points. Hard choice :friendly wink:
Nope, the A4 B9 and A6 C8 are both based on the same MLB Evo platform so are familiar in many respects. Just like the C8 is a massive upgrade from the C7, same applies for B9 when upgrading from a B8. I went from a 2018 petrol A4 Avant (b9) to a 2020 diesel A6 Avant and the learning curve was pretty much zero.

OP, in your position I would go for the A6 C8 especially if the extra interior space is important. Also while the A4 interior isn't bad at all, the A6 interior is on another level.

Reactions: Sibmets and Buxton2901
Any idea of the chrome boot strip can be removed to be sprayed or similar?

I would want to do a full de chrome

Nope, the A4 B9 and A6 C8 are both based on the same MLB Evo platform so are familiar in many respects. Just like the C8 is a massive upgrade from the C7, same applies for B9 when upgrading from a B8. I went from a 2018 petrol A4 Avant (b9) to a 2020 diesel A6 Avant and the learning curve was pretty much zero.

OP, in your position I would go for the A6 C8 especially if the extra interior space is important. Also while the A4 interior isn't bad at all, the A6 interior is on another level.
I stand corrected :friendly wink:

Any idea of the chrome boot strip can be removed to be sprayed or similar?

I would want to do a full de chrome

Not sure about removal but I am sure it could be wrapped. Presume you would also be wanting to replace or wrap the roof rails as these would also be chrome on the version you are looking at

Yes RS6 grille would be going on and front gloss black splitter.
Window trim wrapped and windows tinted

An easy one this mate. C8 all day long, but what about the new A7? RS7 light show alone wins it for me

Chrome can be wrapped at your leisure and cosmetic mods will make it much more satisfying for you. Make sure you get the larger screens inside (not sure what pack that is, should be standard on the BE, but others I don’t know). Other upgrades can be enabled or added.

Yeah need an estate though for the doggies.
Deposit paid on a C8 now so happy days. And yes it has the bigger screen and virtual dash etc. Delivery Thursday

Reactions: DaveW and NevMan
Deposit paid on a C8 now so happy days. And yes it has the bigger screen and virtual dash etc. Delivery Thursday

Wow, look forward to seeing the car Paul :friends:

Is this the one from the Kia garage? Hopefully this one is all good. And good choice of C8

I’m afraid I think the build quality is nowhere near as good on my C8 compared to my C6. Don’t think the interior is anywhere near as hard wearing and feels loads cheaper.

That’s not to say it’s not a nice place to be. It just doesn’t feel as solidly built. Big car. Loads of room for 2 dogs. That’s why we didn’t downsize to a A4. Seemed tiny in comparison side by side.

Reactions: NevMan and Sandra
Waiting for garage to confirm delivery today but may be tomorrow

Reactions: DaveW and Sandra
Car is being delivered this morning

Reactions: DaveW and NevMan
She's here. Very quick picture out of the window at work will take more later
Get a good look over it later
d3b7dc8c7cec6d7509e68af9dd3110e4.jpg

Reactions: Devilz and NevMan
She's here. Very quick picture out of the window at work will take more later
Get a good look over it later
d3b7dc8c7cec6d7509e68af9dd3110e4.jpg

Cool, look forward to it. Good that you will still have a year of Audi warranty left

Aye milege is 58k so not really but got 12 months used car warranty through lookers so should be all good

Reactions: NevMan
Here she is in all her glory. Surprised at how smooth the ride is and feels as quick as my c7 Bitdi so I'm a happy boy.
And all the tech us amazing
9305d4d58548d58982a82433d36f0b3f.jpg
b125e0dfd0b6bf27ef212bc99b226c4d.jpg
5344244a71cc0e73ada46a946d7ba459.jpg
43c29a75adcd2b55af0f240f99e4021a.jpg
1921e3fdeb485a2e209bf9e5887d1c62.jpg
55fd020f3d949b29552174c58dc34a3d.jpg
e7e07327c691a3b0f8ede3960a6fdf7c.jpg

Reactions: DaveW, Sandra, NevMan and 1 other person
Hope you enjoy it and don’t have any bother with it!

looks like you live near where my Aunty lived, she lived near the Jolly Bowman but it’s about 15 years since I was last in there.

Aye mate well spotted

Already ordered wheels

Going for these R8 V10 wheels.
20", can't afford tyres for 21's lol
9b3a2e45967d6ad7e0b659a571064021.jpg

Reactions: Sandra
Congrats on new car Paul, hope it will be trouble free moving forward.

Need those brakes as well on C8 to do justice with the wheels :whistle2:

Going for these R8 V10 wheels.
20", can't afford tyres for 21's lol
9b3a2e45967d6ad7e0b659a571064021.jpg

Hope you are still enjoying the new car. One "bug" that affected early A6's is that when using Apple CarPlay (and maybe AndroidAuto) the left hand 1cm or so of the touch is unresponsive. Very annoying as that is where Apple put the map controls. It is a known bug and there is a software update to fix it. Would be worth checking if you car is affected and/or needs the update., especiually while it still has a few days of Audi warranty remaining The PO may have had it done of course

Thanks mate I'll check it out.
Car is going into Audi on Wednesday for health check and going to ask to check the gearbox software to make sure it's been given the latest version.
Anything else I should get them to check?

Paul,

I Removed the rear chrome strip and wired this in: - full animation when lights come on and when lights switch off! This is made specifically for the C8 and looks like it was factory fitted. I’ve got the animation rear lights, however, I believe you don’t need these for the light strip anyway.
also added the led red lights to the doors (just red dummy covers as standard): - these just piggy backed onto the 4 ring puddle lights wiring.

Reactions: DaveW