Help Please Plenum chamber drainage holes

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Yesterday, I removed my plenum cover and cleaned out the drain hole bung on the passenger side. Is there also one on the driver's side? It's impossible to tell because of the brake servo and other hardware that sits there. If there is one, how do I access it without disturbing the afire-mentioned hardware?

I'm pretty sure the other is under the brake servo. You might be able to stick your hand underneath and use a finger to unbung it.

Reactions: jdp1962
I used one of these, helped grabbed the leaves out

Argh, can't add amazon link, its a " Flexible Claw Pick UP Tool"

Amazon product
31qH7iHc7ML.jpg

Reactions: jdp1962
That sort of tool is very handy for many tasks, I've bought maybe 3 in total, one I covered with insulation, one I left bare and one has ended up with the round plastic button on the top coming loose!

So I tried again this morning, even with a torch I couldn't establish any line of sight to anything under the brake servo; the angles just don't allow it. Meanwhile, my arms just aren't long enough (or my fingers slender enough) to poke my hands in underneath and have a feel about or jiggle in a long flexible pokey thing (I had a 30cm plastic tie wrap lined up). On the upsaide, there's no evidence of any water build-up in there. So I think I'm probably safe in just periodically clearing out the offside drain hole bung and removing any lesaves that drop in there from time to time.

So I tried again this morning, even with a torch I couldn't establish any line of sight to anything under the brake servo; the angles just don't allow it. Meanwhile, my arms just aren't long enough (or my fingers slender enough) to poke my hands in underneath and have a feel about or jiggle in a long flexible pokey thing (I had a 30cm plastic tie wrap lined up). On the upside, there's no evidence of any water build-up in there. So I think I'm probably safe in just periodically clearing out the offside drain hole bung and removing any leaves that drop in there from time to time.

I have the next stage of your problem - water coming in after it's rained for a while. I tried to clean out below the brake servo - leaf blower, long wiggly things etc for the top. I have also been at the hole from the wheel arch (having removed the arch lining. The hole is small and not the one with the wires coming out of it. (my car 2009 avant 3.0 tdi) I've sent compressed air up the hole, stuck in more wiggly stuff - loads of crud came out of the top end.

The problem has not gone away as much of the crud will have washed back down to block the hole - crud being mulch from broken up leaves. More recently I've used mesh gauze to keep the big stuff out).

Getting the servo out looks a right pain and time consuming - the actual servo is easy but the box and fuses looks messy, sadly it seems to be the only way that you can get to the route of the problem.

If you find a way please let me know.