Polished Bliss: Another swirly Noggy Blue S3...

WX51TXR

Polished Bliss
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
The second car done last week by Clark; this time, for an Audi-Sport member...

---

Just finished this car this evening and shock it was another swirly one, why is it all the worst ones i do are generally ones with rock hard paint? :laugh:

Here's the car before i started yesterday morning:

Cs3s.jpg

Cs3k.jpg

As it was ******* down yet again, i never took any wash process pics, but it was the usual steps taken - 2BM, clayed, wheels were cleaned with Menzerna 7.5 Gel, engine cleaned with Megs Super Degreaser etc...So i'll just crack on with the polishing stage :)

Polish:

Once inside and taped up, i took paint readings using the pocket sized gauge for the metal panels:

Cs3d.jpg

And the Posi 200 for the plastics:

Cs3zz.jpg

The car was healthy in most areas, showing an average of around 120 microns however the lower sections were in the 90's. A couple of areas were below 80 so these were taped off as this is pretty close to strike through level on most VAG cars. The bumpers/spoiler were around 100 microns so all in all pretty good :)

The paint was full of swirls and RIDS (which seems to be the norm lately!):

Cs3vv.jpg

Cs3ww.jpg

Cs3xx.jpg

Again, the pad used to correct the paint was the 3M Compounding Pad:

Cs3t.jpg

This was used with IP 3.02@1800rpm's to good effect.

Test section before::

Cs3f.jpg

After:

Cs3.jpg

Cs3nn.jpg

A few more correction shots, the one below shows the typical RIDS that remained on a couple of panels:

Cs3uu.jpg

Cs3l.jpg

Cs3e.jpg

Cs3a.jpg

The drivers door had a nasty scrape, so i polished this area with Menz Powergloss:

Before:

Cs3m.jpg

After, not completely gone as it was too deep:

Cs3g.jpg

Once all the rotary work was done i PC'd the front and rear lights:

Headlight before:

Cs3h.jpg

After:

Cs3b.jpg

I then machined the whole car again with a blue 3M Finishing Pad & Menz PO85RD@1800rpm's, this really helped bring the flake out in the paint :thumb:

Last job before the application of the wax was to touch in a few stone chips, using an artists paint brush:

Cs3y.jpg

Cs3v.jpg

(sorry bout the blurry pic)

I switched the heater on for 5 mins which helped dry the paint really quickly. :)

Then out with the Vintage:

Cs3o.jpg

This was applied by applicator pad as always and then left to cure.

The car isnt being collected until Saturday so Rich is doing the interior tomorrow, so i did the last few remaining jobs:

The tailpipes were in desperate need of a spruce up!

Cs3c.jpg

After some BF Compound and Unigrit 2000 they looked alot better:

Cs3yy.jpg

The engine was dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant:

Cs3p.jpg

Cs3w.jpg

I then jacked up each wheel to get in to the inner rims properly as there were some tar spots i couldnt fully remove during the wash stage, this allowed me to dress the arches at the same time with All Season Dressing too :)

Cs3i.jpg

Wheels were done with PW Wheel Sealant and the tyres were dressed with BF Long Lasting Tyre Gel, i also gave the glass a quick once over with Meguiars Glass Cleaner Concentrate.

A final wipe down with Field glaze was all that was left before i got out the camera for the after pics, i think i did a pretty good job of capturing the wetness the Vintage gives this time :)

Cs3mm.jpg

Cs3pp.jpg

Cs3z.jpg

Cs3x.jpg

Cs3tt.jpg

Cs3ss.jpg

Cs3rr.jpg

Cs3r.jpg

Cs3qq.jpg

Cs3q.jpg

Cs3oo.jpg

Cs3j.jpg

Thanks for looking as always :) :icon_thumright:

Rich,
Stop posting pictures of this car.
You are making me very upset...

Seriously, I was over picking some wash stuff up on Friday and was blown away with the work carried out. Absolutely stunning.

I want it back...

If your wife had the keys, I'd have been tempted to lamp her with those brake discs I dropped off and made my escape in that S3.

I'm sure it never looked that good when I picked it up new back in 2001.

Excellent work

Glen you make me laugh, "tempted to lamp her with those brake discs":yahoo:

What wheels are they ?

good god, how many hours are we talking about for a correction like that then? I swear i've never seen flakes like that in my paint...

looks like you have a very rewarding job there...

Excellent job there Rich/Clark. Looks as bad as my one was, seems like it took a similar amount of time too.

Great S3 too. Nice too see it making an apperance on the forum again. Just wish I'd known DJ was up, I'd have loved to taken a trip over for a quick drive/comparison.

Well, despite the wet and windy trip back to Glasgow (158 miles of wet & dirty roads), it still looks fantastic. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't cheap, but like most things in life, you get what you pay for. The guys at PB are real craftsmen! Even chauffeured me to and from the train station.

If I *have* to sell it to fund my racing, Glen gets first shout :)

djmotorsport said:
If I *have* to sell it to fund my racing, Glen gets first shout :)

Woo! Is it tempting Glen? :w00t:...you could open a museum if you bought that back as well! It's nice to see the car back on here, looking sweet. Were those the wheels you had on it when you / David had the car Glen?

Also - Chris, you need to clear some of ya messages up mate :)

Rob

(oh and another top job PB)

The wheels are BBS RSIIs, 8" x 18"

They are the same wheels as I fitted, originally an optional wheel on a TT.
I believe David Rooke had them re-furbed at the same place that did the original powder coating (bright silver rims, steel grey centres with a sparkle clear coat)

Everything still looks great on that car...and I'd imagine it still drives well too.

lookin good!

can you tell me what product/technique clark used on the lights please?

Cheers for all the kind words folks, and sorry Glen! :sorry:

Light clusters: best to polish them using a dual action machine like a PC or the new Megs DA polishing machine, in order to keep temps down. Lightly swirled units generally respond well to Menzerna 106FA on a polishing pad, but older units as above often need Menzerna RD3.02 on a light cut pad to really restore them well. The technique is the same as for polishing paint. :icon_thumright:

just wondering, would it be a bad idea to invest in some headlight protection film in such a case?

fingermouse said:
Didn`t know it had turned into a RS3 though ...................................

Been badged that way since about 2003!
I don't recall anyone else managing to get the front RS3 badge correct (letter and numbers the same size, before that)

Audi wouldn't build one...so I did.