Polished Bliss: Latest Major Paint Correction Detail...

WX51TXR

Polished Bliss
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
Recently done by Clark...

---

The car on arrival, pretty grubby:

RM001.jpg

RM002.jpg

RM003.jpg

RM004.jpg

RM005.jpg

RM006.jpg

RM007.jpg

RM012.jpg

RM008.jpg

RM009.jpg

RM010.jpg

RM011.jpg

So, to firstly get rid of as much dirt and grime as possible the car was foamed with R222 Total Auto Wash at 60 degrees:

RM013.jpg

Then thoroughly rinsed off, making sure every inch of paint was covered - not just a quick rinse off:

RM014.jpg

The wheels were going to need a severe clean by the looks of things:

RM015.jpg

RM016.jpg

I decided the wheels were going to have to come off to get them 100% clean so they were left for the time being.

Onto the exterior trim/badges etc, these were cleaned with Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner and Raceglaze Detailing Brushes:

RM018.jpg

RM017.jpg

RM019.jpg

RM020.jpg

They were then rinsed at medium pressure:

RM022.jpg

That's the only downside to using hot water when it's cold outside, you can't see half the time for the steam! :D

The front grills were done with the small EZ brush - This is really handy for these sort of jobs, especially on the likes of Audi Grills etc.

Onto the engine bay, this was soaked with Meguiars Super Degreaser (4:1), agitated and then rinsed off:

RM023.jpg

RM024.jpg

The fabric hood was then cleaned with 303 Fabric Cleaner and a Meguiars All Surface Interior Brush :

RM025.jpg

This was then rinsed at low pressure until all the foam was completely gone.

The interior mats were pressure washed @60 degrees:

RM026.jpg

The extractor machine was then used to get rid of all the excess water and they were then left for the remainder of the 4 days to fully dry. 303 Fabric Guard was then applied to help with future cleaning.

The car was then washed with Meguiars Shampoo Plus, Lambswool Wash Mitt and 2 Clear Buckets before being rinsed off and de-tarred with Autosmart Tardis

The last stage before drying the car off was claying, this was done with Meguiars Mild Detailing Clay but there was very little contamination (slightly surprisingly) evident.

So once clayed, the car was dried off with PB Luxury Drying Towels and the Black Baron Drier.

I then gave the hood its first of 3 coats of 303 Fabric Guard:

RM027.jpg

I then used the Sun Gun to highlight the defects for some pictures, I think they'll give you an idea of the condition of the paint:

RM028.jpg

RM030.jpg

RM029.jpg

RM032.jpg

RM031.jpg

RM034.jpg

RM033.jpg

RM036.jpg

RM035.jpg

RM037.jpg

RM038.jpg

RM039.jpg

I think it's safe to say someone had already attempted to polish the car at some point in the past!

Paint readings were then taken, the Positector 6000 for the metal panels:

RM040.jpg

Then the 200 for the plastics:

RM052.jpg

RM053.jpg

The readings showed everything was original with no real low spots anywhere on the car which is always good :)

Correction work was carried out with a Meguiars 105 and Menzerna 85RE mix with Gloss-It Orange Foam and the Makita Rotary between 1800-2000rpm's. Each panel was thoroughly wiped down with IPA to check the true correction levels and to ensure I was happy before moving onto the next.

Before:

RM041.jpg

After:

RM042.jpg

50/50:

RM043.jpg

The below pic shows what was often left after 1 hit so a further 2nd or 3rd attempt was needed to gain the desired correction:

RM044.jpg

Before:

RM045.jpg

After:

RM046.jpg

Before:

RM047.jpg

After:

RM048.jpg

Before:

RM050.jpg

After:

RM051.jpg

The front wings were particularly bad:

RM054.jpg

RM055.jpg

RM063.jpg

Being plastic, I changed to Lake Country Foamed Wool to keep the heat down:

RM056.jpg

These pads have hugely impressed me during testing and as a result they will be in the store shortly. As you can see, they finish extremely well for wool - just a few light trails visible:

RM057.jpg

The majority of the back end was plastic too so the same process applied here:

RM060.jpg

Before:

RM059.jpg

After:

RM062.jpg

RM061.jpg

Once all the compounding was done it was time to refine the finish. This was done with Menzerna 85RE and Lake Country Polishing Pads @1500-1800rpms:

RM064.jpg

RM065.jpg

Once that was done I dusted out all the shuts etc with a Meguiars Slide Lock Brush and used a Lambswool Duster to remove the remaining polishing dust sat on the panels.

RM066.jpg

RM067.jpg

A further IPA wipe down followed before I applied the LSP.

LSP of choice was a new super duper wax from Raceglaze that Mark had sent up for me to try:

RM068.jpg

Early signs were very good, one of the easiest waxes to apply and remove and it was up there with Vintage etc in terms of looks :thumb: This was applied to the whole car and then buffed off.

Werkstat Prime Strong was used to polish and protect the chrome trim.

Before:

RM069.jpg

After:

RM070.jpg

The engine had been dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant earlier so this was given a final wipe down:

RM071.jpg

RM072.jpg

Meguiars All Season Dressing was applied and then buffed off on all exterior trim:

RM073.jpg

Any dust/fluff etc was removed from the hood with 3M Masking Tape:

RM074.jpg

The interior was fully detailed, including cleaning of the leather with Raceglaze Leather Cleaner and a Raceglaze Leather Brush. Feeding was done courtesy of Raceglaze Leather Balm.

Before:

RM075.jpg

After:

RM076.jpg

RM090.jpg

RM091.jpg

As mentioned at the start, the wheels needed to come off to get them 100% clean, the process for these were as follows:

- Sprayed and agitated with Meguiars Wheel Brightener (4:1)
- Tar removed with Autosmart Tardis
- Clayed with Meguiars Aggressive Clay
- Polished by hand with Menzerna FPII and a Lake Country Polishing Hand Pad
- Cleansed with Werkstat Prime Acrylic
- Sealed with Blackfire Metal Sealant
- Tyres dressed with Gloss-It Signature Tyre Gloss (2 coats)

The wheel weights were also painted. All done and ready to go back on the car:

RM077.jpg

The arches were given a once over too, process as follows:

- Cleaned with Meguiars Super Degreaser
- Tar removed with Autosmart Tardis
- Arch Liners dressed with Meguars All Season Dressing

RM078.jpg

So with the wheels back on and correctly torqued up, all that remained was a final wipe down with Werkstat Carnauba Glos.

Here's the final result...

RM083.jpg

RM080.jpg

RM081.jpg

RM102.jpg

RM100.jpg

RM101.jpg

RM089.jpg

RM088.jpg

RM087.jpg

RM086.jpg

The sun even decided to make an appearance...

RM082.jpg

RM099.jpg

RM096.jpg

RM097.jpg

RM098.jpg

RM095.jpg

RM094.jpg

RM093.jpg

RM092.jpg

....and finally back inside ready for collection :)

RM103.jpg

Thanks for looking as always.

Clark

Wow, what an ace job, you make it look so easy too!! Although I know its not! What a finnish on it!