Polishing stainless steel, best method/products

Bean5

D5_SNS
Reaction score
Hi guys!!

I have tried a forum search but couldnt find the answer I was after so here goes,

I work in a fairly large body shop handling a big number of insurance jobs aswell as private jobs, from projects to accident repairs over the last 7 years I have done alot of this type of work, so I understand a bit about detailing, paintwork, polishing etc, and have access to a wide variety of materials and equipment that I might need to use?

I have managed to save my self out of the scrap pile two stainless steel exhaust tips off an a6, perfect addition to my a4 b6, however I used a red scotch and some degreaser to romove the typical tar and cr@p on exhausts and they came up lovely and clean.

Obviously they are now quite dull looking with lots of scratches, I have tried a bit of g3 on a mini mop(worked a little but still scratchy) tried brasso/silvo( no good), tried my dads dremmel with his jewellery polish and polisher on it(took a while, worked a little but still left lines!) what else can I try to get them back to they're former glory, I was going to try some auto sol but have had a fine scratch result when using it previously!

I use Auto Sol and an old microfibre or duster. I've not had any issues. If you are worried, how about doing a tiny test section to see how it goes?

Tried it on a tiny section wasn't too bad, but used g10 on a mop clamped the tail pipes in the bench and off I went!! Finished with a bit of wheel wax. ;-D
the one on the right is polished!
4e3eb699.jpg

That's looking good! :yes: A bit easier to do when they are not on the car! I hate tail pipes almost as much as I hate cleaning wheels. :)

Yeh and me, thats why I wanted to get en as good as I possibly could before putting them on lol